W&B-Where do you Measure People Positions

Old January 31st 10, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Paul Dow (Remove CAPS in address)

Default W&B-Where do you Measure People Positions

I'm helping a chapter member do the initial weight measurements on his
plane. I think we have everything except what point should be used for
the seat positions. I didn't see it addressed in the weight and balance
section of AC 43.13.

What point along the seat is considered the center of a sitting person?
I know an inch or two either way won't make a bunch of difference, but
we might as well start with the best number achievable.

Thanks
Old January 31st 10, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jan 31, 2:14*pm, "Paul Dow (Remove CAPS in address)"
wrote:
I'm helping a chapter member do the initial weight measurements on his
plane. I think we have everything except what point should be used for
the seat positions. I didn't see it addressed in the weight and balance
section of AC 43.13.

What point along the seat is considered the center of a sitting person?
I know an inch or two either way won't make a bunch of difference, but
we might as well start with the best number achievable.

Thanks

Use the guy's belt buckle. It's pretty close.

Dan
Old January 31st 10, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

Or you could weigh the aircraft without the pilot. Then with the pilot. Take the difference in the tailwheel weights and multiply it by the distance between the tail wheel and main mounts. Divide the product of the calculation by the pilot's weight. The result will be the distance from the main mount to the pilot seat.

See paragraph B in the W&B calculation near the bottom of the following link:
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Sc...976_HP-18.html

Wayne
HP-14 6F
http://www.tinyurl.com/N990-6F

Old February 1st 10, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message
m...
Or you could weigh the aircraft without the pilot. Then with the pilot.
Take the difference in the tailwheel weights and multiply it by the distance
between the tail wheel and main mounts. Divide the product of the
calculation by the pilot's weight. The result will be the distance from the
main mount to the pilot seat.

See paragraph B in the W&B calculation near the bottom of the following
link:
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Sc...976_HP-18.html

Wayne
HP-14 6F
http://www.tinyurl.com/N990-6F

--------------new post begins---------

Remember to first level the aircraft.

Assuming that it is not an original design, there should be a recomended
datum line specified for that purpose.

(Also, please use the axle positions rather than the undercarriage mounting
positions.)

Peter

Old February 1st 10, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Paul Dow (Remove CAPS in address)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The scales were borrowed, so it would be difficult to get them back
again to do the measurements. That procedure makes sense though.

The belt buckle idea seems pretty good. The seats don't have much
recline, so my big butt / fat head should balance each other out.

Paul
Old February 1st 10, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Paul Dow (Remove CAPS in address)

I had asked another friend this question, and he's a member of our
chapter, and the one in Hartford. Joe Gauthier (EAA Homebuilt Council)
is also a member of the Hartford chapter, and Joe agreed that the belt
buckle method was what should be used if we couldn't use the 'weigh the
pilot while the plane's on the scales' method.

Thanks again.
Paul
Old February 1st 10, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_4_]

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 16:14:32 -0500, "Paul Dow (Remove CAPS in
address)" wrote:

I'm helping a chapter member do the initial weight measurements on his
plane. I think we have everything except what point should be used for
the seat positions. I didn't see it addressed in the weight and balance
section of AC 43.13.

What point along the seat is considered the center of a sitting person?
I know an inch or two either way won't make a bunch of difference, but
we might as well start with the best number achievable.

Thanks

anthropomorphically a seated pilots cg is about an inch aft of his
belly button.
as dan says use the location of his belt buckle. you wont detect the
difference.

Stealth Pilot