GA in Houston

Old March 29th 05, 11:55 PM
Grumman-581

For EYQ, don't forget Carl's BBQ at the airport... One of those airport
restaurants that even attracts people who don't have an interest in
aviation... Not the *best* BBQ around, but pretty good and definitely
the best food at any of the Houston area airports...

Old March 30th 05, 12:37 AM
houstondan

carl's really is good down-home eating. very good barbq and homestyle
sides by the ton. really good stuff.

should mention, if you do use weiser they try to noise abate for the
neighborhood to the north and east of the field so rw 9 is right
pattern out immediately. if you're going north, they ask you to hang a
right over the freeway (290) till you get enough altitude then cross
back over the field. rway 27 is left pattern. oh and one other thing.
on rw 9, the runway starts 3 1/2 feet from the freeway so try to time
your approach so you come in between the tall trucks.

dan

Old March 30th 05, 01:40 AM
John Clonts

"Grumman-581" wrote in message news:cw32e.112476$r55.64388@attbi_s52...
"John Clonts" wrote in message ...
No, I was referring to your having flown so much into HOU and yet
made the "double mistake" of referring to runway 35 as runway 18.

Ah, come on... You've never been dysleptic on the runway numbers? Never? I
knew what I was talking about, my fingers just didn't... grin

Yeah, but you gotta admit that the statement "Since the wind is rarely out of the north, 18 is rarely active"
is pretty funny! But really I did want to figure out whether the "hump" you were describing was where 17
crosses 12R, or where 17 crosses 4. Seems that the answer is the latter, which is why I had never noticed it--
since the wind is rarely out of the north, and 35 is rarely active

Sorry if I offended you...

Awh hell, John... Ya' know it takes more than *that* to offend a Texan... It
would take something like someone saying that BBQ is pork and a mustard
based sauce instead of BEEF BRISKET...

We can agree on that! COOPERS Rules!

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old March 30th 05, 02:38 AM
Dan Luke

"Grumman-581" wrote:
For EYQ, don't forget Carl's BBQ at the airport... One of those
airport
restaurants that even attracts people who don't have an interest in
aviation... Not the *best* BBQ around,

Ok, what's the best? I'm a Houston native but I have lived Alabama for
15 years and I've lost track. Carl's is pretty damned good, in my
opinion.

You would be appalled at what passes for barbeque east of the
Mississippi.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old March 30th 05, 02:50 AM
Grumman-581

"John Clonts" wrote in message ...
Yeah, but you gotta admit that the statement "Since the wind
is rarely out of the north, 18 is rarely active" is pretty funny!

Brain fart caused by caffeine withdrawal... It happens... Hell, ya' knew
what I meant anyway, right? grin

Seems that the answer is the latter, which is why I had never noticed it--
since the wind is rarely out of the north, and 35 is rarely active

Yep, it's when you're landing on 35 and you cross 04... Since they like you
to keep your speed up, you might not be all that slow by the time you cross
04 and it'll pop ya' right back up there... texas-accentJust when ya'
thinkin' dat ya' got it landed, ya' gets ya' a big s'prise.../texas-accent

Old March 30th 05, 03:47 AM
Grumman-581

"Dan Luke" wrote in message ...
Ok, what's the best? I'm a Houston native but I have lived Alabama for
15 years and I've lost track. Carl's is pretty damned good, in my
opinion.

Yep, Carl's is good... There was one place that I stumbled across on the way
to San Antonio a couple of years ago that was especially good, but I don't
remember their name... It was at night, but I think I *might* be able to
find it if I ever get back that way... They also sold jerky that they smoked
that was rather good... The type of jerky that you sometimes see being sold
at the gun shows...

You would be appalled at what passes for barbeque east of the
Mississippi.

I've seen it... Blasphemy!!! Chuck roast cooked in an electric oven with
BBQ sauce over it... bllleecchh In Florida, they think BBQ is *pig*... In
Texas, of course, we *know* that BBQ is *beef* -- not just *beef*, but *beef
brisket*...

Old March 30th 05, 06:07 AM
Dave S

I have to admit, the BBQ is good at Carls at Weiser... but based on the
mission he posted (going downtown, and needing cars, etc) I didn't even
mention it. Nothing "wrong" with the field, but all the other mentioned
caveats apply: perpetual crosswind, narrow runway, parking (and taxiing)
on sod, no ready stock of rental cars, no around the clock service. But
if you have folks in that end of town you are seeing, who can come get
you... or if you want some GOOD ribs and brisket.. Dat's the place!

Dave

Old March 30th 05, 06:23 AM
houstondan

now, i'm probably going to get in trouble somewhere here but...weiser
is the last picture show of airports. many of the best airplane people
i personally know of base there and i think there's a kind of
camaraderie about operating out of this little asphalt crosswind
mostly on grass urban strip.

windsock avaition has a front porch that is maybe 20 feet from the 9
touchdown point.that porch setting is just as picturesque as it gets.
great place to sit and watch the traffic. you will feel the wind off
the wingtips on that porch. it's what you think of as an old fashioned
"field". love it. just love it.

dan

Old March 30th 05, 08:11 AM
Dave S

I tried looking on Dylan Smith's webpage (he used to frequent the lists
here a LOT before he moved back to the Ilse of Man).. and he had an
interesting story to tell about that front porch/observation area
located a wingspan away from the runway.. something about the time he
nearly groundlooped the club's C-170 there.. and how to the effect that
everyone in that nice little fenced in area "**** and git out of the
way" (my phrase, not his)... everything worked out nice in the end.. but
just remember that you don't ALWAYS want to be that close to the runway
when students (and some non-students) are doing crosswind stuff.

Maybe it was never on his page, and was just here on usenet after all.

Dylan's page: http://www.alioth.net/flying/index.html

Dave

Old March 30th 05, 12:04 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Nobody wrote:
Ok fair enough, just unfriendly to me then. Been there 3 times and
without exception, had difficulties with the controllers everytime.

Not my experience - I've even been in riding along in a Piper TriPacer.
No problems except they kept thinking we had said 'Citation' (although
they were a little uncertain because they hadn't quite seen one THAT
slow before).

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Houston paper profiles longtime DE/Pilot Dave S Piloting 0 November 16th 04 02:13 AM
Velocity ride in Houston area? Martin Whitfield Home Built 4 May 27th 04 04:29 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
Followup.. Houston fatals last month.. Dave S Piloting 7 January 5th 04 05:08 PM
parking in Houston for a week Tom Hughes Piloting 6 July 25th 03 02:44 AM