Trailer fittings and carpetting

Old September 3rd 09, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Trailer fittings and carpetting

I'm looking to replace the carpetting used as protection to the
various glider parts in my Cobra Trailer and have not yet been able to
find a close match. Can anyone suggest a merchant or site I could
try .
Thanks ,

Ron Clarke (ZA)
Old September 3rd 09, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

A close match might not be what you're after. The foam backing turns
to dust in what seems like a matter of months. Try replacing it with
heavy felt (see McMaster-Carr link) or outdoor carpet if it's for the
floor (from your local hardware store).
http://www.mcmaster.com/#felt/=3h28l5
Jim
Old September 3rd 09, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Seaborn[_2_]

Ron,

Give this a go. The local hardware store has floor runner material
which comes in a long roll. This stuff has a dark backing and a very
short woven top surface. It comes in grey and several other colors.
Try and find material without any embossing or patterns on the fuzzy
side. Next carefully remove the COBRA carpet/padding and use each as a
pattern for marking and cutting the runner material into the right
shapes. Remove any coatings or foam still on the trailer and then bond
the cut runner material in place using contact cement. This stuff is
very tough and the technique works well. The grey material has been on
my trailer for several years now.

John Seaborn (A8)
Old September 4th 09, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PK

On Sep 3, 11:50*am, " wrote:
I'm looking to replace the carpetting used as protection to the
various glider parts in my Cobra Trailer and have not yet been able to
find a close match. Can anyone suggest a merchant or site I could
try .
Thanks ,

Ron Clarke (ZA)

The carpeting used in most trailers are to be found in automobille,
airplane or boat upholstery shops.I would actually look for it at an
upholstery supply shop, as they would have a larger inventory of
colors. These carpets are made very low profile, and plyable, so they
may go around compond curves, etc.
PeterK

Trailer tires for old (1981) Komet Trailer [email protected] Soaring 3 May 13th 09 10:24 PM
brake fittings [email protected] Home Built 6 April 30th 07 01:33 AM
Brass Compression Fittings,Fittings for Pex-Al-Pex Sale on good price valvetom Piloting 0 November 27th 06 05:58 PM
AN Fittings Bruce A. Frank Home Built 4 May 6th 05 04:11 PM
Cobra trailer fittings for different glider makes & models John W Soaring 4 September 24th 03 03:21 PM