Static ports

Old August 20th 10, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

Default Static ports

My glider, a Speed Astir, has static ports about halfway from the
trailing edge of the wing and the stabilizer. It also has some static
ports just ahead of the fattest part of the fuselage.The forward ports
have never been connected to anything since I got it. Do the front
ports typically NOT provide a good static source? I'm just wondering
if this is yet another thing 'everybody knows', except me.
TIA
Jim
Old August 20th 10, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

On Aug 19, 9:32*pm, Grider Pirate wrote:
My glider, a Speed Astir, has static ports about halfway from the
trailing edge of the wing and the stabilizer. *It also has some static
ports just ahead of the fattest part of the fuselage.The forward ports
have never been connected to anything since I got it. Do the front
ports typically NOT provide a good static source? I'm just wondering
if this is yet another thing 'everybody knows', except me.
TIA
Jim

LOL!

In general aft staic ports work better.

Schweizer sailplanes used forward static ports that are very
accurate.

The DG-100 I owned also had forward static ports that were excellent.

Check out some of Dick Johnsons sailplane flight test results for
additional datapoints.

Mike
Old August 20th 10, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pat Russell[_2_]

Many gliders of that vintage were certified with forward statics
only. Aft statics were a factory option, ordered by people interested
in accurate variometry.

Your ASI should be on the forward statics, since that was the way it
was calibrated and certified.
Old August 20th 10, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Aug 20, 7:54*am, Pat Russell wrote:
Many gliders of that vintage were certified with forward statics
only. *Aft statics were a factory option, ordered by people interested
in accurate variometry.

Your ASI should be on the forward statics, since that was the way it
was calibrated and certified.

Maybe-
Best bet is to look in flight and maintenance manuals and see what
manufacturer said.
UH
Old August 20th 10, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Blake Seese

On Aug 19, 8:32*pm, Grider Pirate wrote:
My glider, a Speed Astir, has static ports about halfway from the
trailing edge of the wing and the stabilizer. *It also has some static
ports just ahead of the fattest part of the fuselage.The forward ports
have never been connected to anything since I got it. Do the front
ports typically NOT provide a good static source? I'm just wondering
if this is yet another thing 'everybody knows', except me.
TIA
Jim

My feeling is that if static ports were designed into the glider, they
were meant to be used. My static ports are near the nose of my glider
and seem to yield good operational performance. It may be that the
instruments call for a rear static port vs. a front one. Did you check
your documentation on your instruments. Possibly Grob provided static
ports in multiple places to allow for different types of
installations. And Jim, I think there is very little that you don't
know about gliders.......
Old August 20th 10, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Aug 20, 7:56*am, Blake Seese wrote:
[...]

Great, now I have clean the coffee off my screen.

DG-600 AOA static ports Marc Ramsey Soaring 0 February 14th 07 10:37 PM
KX-155 static Robert M. Gary Piloting 3 September 13th 06 03:40 AM
KX-155 static Robert M. Gary Owning 4 September 13th 06 03:40 AM
Win XP and COM ports Ted Wagner Soaring 13 April 26th 05 07:30 PM
Four Static Ports! Which to Use? John DeRosa Sky Soaring Chicago IL Soaring 3 May 18th 04 04:55 PM