Recommendations for a small air compressor????

Old September 28th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
mhorowit

Default Recommendations for a small air compressor????

I'm looking for a small compressor, running on 110v, min 20 CFM at 80
PSI. Anyone got a recommendation? - Mike

Old September 28th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Cy Galley

Your request is about the same as 100 hp airplane doing 200 mph plus seating
4

oups.com...

Old September 28th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Natalie

mhorowit wrote:
I'm looking for a small compressor, running on 110v, min 20 CFM at 80
PSI. Anyone got a recommendation? - Mike

20 CFM @ 80? That's not a small compressor. Are you sure you have that
spec right? That's going to take some serious HP on the motor.
Unlikely at 120V.

Are you sure you have the spec's right?
Old September 28th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 13:07:32 GMT, "Cy Galley"
wrote:

Your request is about the same as 100 hp airplane doing 200 mph plus seating
4

"mhorowit" wrote in message
roups.com...
I'm looking for a small compressor, running on 110v, min 20 CFM at 80
PSI. Anyone got a recommendation? - Mike

Well, now I know it's impractical and will have to revise my
expectations - Mike
Old September 28th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:12:10 -0400, Ron Natalie
wrote:

mhorowit wrote:
I'm looking for a small compressor, running on 110v, min 20 CFM at 80
PSI. Anyone got a recommendation? - Mike

20 CFM @ 80? That's not a small compressor. Are you sure you have that
spec right? That's going to take some serious HP on the motor.
Unlikely at 120V.

Are you sure you have the spec's right?

Ron - I got your e-mail, but replies bounced because you've munged
your return addy. I know beans about compressors so I had to ask -
Mike
Old September 28th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Here's one that I've been using for 4 years of building.

Doesn't meet your specs but has worked well.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Old September 28th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:

Here's one that I've been using for 4 years of building.

Doesn't meet your specs but has worked well.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...r+Tools&pid=00
916732000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Air+Compressors+%26 +Inflators&BV_UseBVCookie=Ye

I bought one of those a year ago and have found it to be adequate for my
hangar. My only complaint is that it is quite noisy! I chose a Sears
model because I figure that I can get parts for it, although some of the
equivalent stuff out there is less expensive, but there is no parts
support.

Things DO wear out, after all!
Old September 28th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Natalie

Are you sure you have the spec's right?

Ron - I got your e-mail, but replies bounced because you've munged
your return addy. I know beans about compressors so I had to ask -
Mike

Small compressors typically do about 4cfm@40psi and 2cfm@80.
They work well for painting, inflating tires, etc.. but don't
have punch for a lot of rotary tools.

A 40CFM@80 will be a larger tanked model with 5HP or more for
the motor.
Old September 28th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:

Here's one that I've been using for 4 years of building.

Doesn't meet your specs but has worked well.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...r+Tools&pid=00
916732000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Air+Compressors+%26 +Inflators&BV_UseBVCookie=Ye

I bought one of those a year ago and have found it to be adequate for my
hangar. My only complaint is that it is quite noisy! I chose a Sears
model because I figure that I can get parts for it, although some of the
equivalent stuff out there is less expensive, but there is no parts
support.

Things DO wear out, after all!

Yes it is a noisy thing. When I was building at my house the compressor was
within feet of me at all times and I wore my I-Pod ear pods at all times.

When I moved to my hanger I had a closet sized Rubbermaid building that I
wasn't using and it is now out behind the hanger with the compressor in it.
I can still hear it but it is just a low growl.

As for the compressor it has done everything I've asked of it which include
LOTS of holes drilled and LOTS of rivets pulled as well as misc. other air
tools.

Old September 28th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Kunkel

wrote:

Your request is about the same as 100 hp airplane doing 200 mph plus
seating
4

"mhorowit" wrote in message
groups.com...
I'm looking for a small compressor, running on 110v, min 20 CFM at 80
PSI. Anyone got a recommendation? - Mike

Well, now I know it's impractical and will have to revise my
expectations - Mike

My only advice would be to avoid the "oiless" compresseor, they're the noisy
ones.