bad vectors, no hand off

Old February 9th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Nathan Young

Default bad vectors, no hand off

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 20:07:27 -0500, "Lurker" wrote:

Flyers,

I just want some of your thoughts on this. My plane partner and I went out
last night to do some practice instrument approaches. He wore the hood and
I was the right-seat safety pilot.

ATC was not too busy and it was a nice VFR night. First, after we asked for
a practice ILS 24 into KPNE they acknowledged our request and then forgot
about us and had us continue flying away from the field for sometime. This
continued until I finally asked if they were going to vector us.

Either way, approach should have handed you off to the tower. But I
am curious - is the approach facility co-located with the airport?

For example, is it PNE approach and PNE tower? Or is the PNE field
serviced by another nearby approach facility?
Old February 9th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dane Spearing

In article ,
Newps wrote:

Lurker wrote:
Were we second class citizens?

Depends. Were you flying a Cherokee?

HEY!!!! I resemble that remark.

-- Dane, happy owner of a PA32-300
Old February 9th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Dane Spearing wrote:
Were we second class citizens?

Depends. Were you flying a Cherokee?

HEY!!!! I resemble that remark.

-- Dane, happy owner of a PA32-300

On a only slightly related note, I was highly offended yesterday to note that
some undeserving slob (read: other than me) won that PA-32-260 that AOPA has
been showing around.

I mean, REALLY... it's not like I forgot to reup my membership.

The guy who won it already has about 9000 hours. He's probably tired of flying
already. They ought to let guys like me (well, actually me specifically) win.
I'd promise to go fly it quite a bit.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old February 10th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bonehenge

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 14:04:59 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

On a only slightly related note, I was highly offended yesterday to note that
some undeserving slob (read: other than me) won that PA-32-260 that AOPA has
been showing around.

Me too...

There's always next year. -=8^(

And I liked the Six so much more than the Commander.
Old February 10th 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Bonehenge wrote:
There's always next year. -=8^(

And I liked the Six so much more than the Commander.

Me too. I've never flown a Commander but I've got a bunch of time flying a Six
to some very nice places. Never a 260 though... always a 300. I understand the
260 actually has more useful load... which is already kind of scary. I used to
carry 6 adults, baggage, and diving gear (except for tanks and weight belts)
from North Carolina to various spots in the Bahamas (with staging in and out of
the Vero Beach/ St. Lucie County area). One hell of a load... one hell of a
bird.

What did the guy who won the AOPA bird fly? C-130's? He's never gonna be
satisfied with a Six. Schmuck.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old February 10th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bonehenge

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 20:34:10 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

What did the guy who won the AOPA bird fly? C-130's? He's never gonna be
satisfied with a Six. Schmuck.

Maybe he flies Dolphins! G
Old February 10th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ray Andraka

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Bonehenge wrote:

There's always next year. -=8^(

And I liked the Six so much more than the Commander.

Me too. I've never flown a Commander but I've got a bunch of time flying a Six
to some very nice places. Never a 260 though... always a 300. I understand the
260 actually has more useful load... which is already kind of scary. I used to
carry 6 adults, baggage, and diving gear (except for tanks and weight belts)
from North Carolina to various spots in the Bahamas (with staging in and out of
the Vero Beach/ St. Lucie County area). One hell of a load... one hell of a
bird.

What did the guy who won the AOPA bird fly? C-130's? He's never gonna be
satisfied with a Six. Schmuck.

I fly a -260 with 7 seats. Mine's got a 1556 lb useful load, and I do
fly it at max gross. When heavy it is no short field machine,
especially when hot and high, but it will in fact lift a lot of people,
gas, and stuff. There's simply nothing else out there like it. Fact
is, it is pretty much an if it fits through the door you can fly it
machine. Unlike the -300, it is virtually impossible to get the CG
forward of the forward limit. You really have to work to get it aft of
the aft limit (two big guys in the back seat and nobody else but the 180
lb pilot will do it). Had I won the AOPA one, it would have been a hard
choice on which to keep. Mine's got a bigger useful load and has the 7
seats I need, plus it is a relatively low time airframe with about 3500
hours. Theirs has some nice goodies in the panel and has been nicely
refurbished all over, and is supposedly several knots faster than the
135kts true I get out of mine at 6000'. Guess that's why they put my
name back in the hat when they drew it.
Old February 10th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Andrew Sarangan

On Feb 7, 8:07 pm, "Lurker" wrote:
Flyers,

I just want some of your thoughts on this. My plane partner and I went out
last night to do some practice instrument approaches. He wore the hood and
I was the right-seat safety pilot.

snipped

It was obviously bad ATC service. I have had controllers forget and
let me fly through the final course, but they always apologized for
it and gave me above average service the second time around.

However, I do have to ask how you 'suddenly' ended up 1/2 mile final
and way above the glide slope. As soon as you realize you have been
given a bum vector, you should query the controller instead of
continuing that far into the approach.

Old February 10th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Allan9

I'd call the Tower Manager and ask him to look into it.
Unless the tape retention has changed they are required to retain the
tape(s) for 15 days.
They then are rotated back into service
Al

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
Lurker wrote:
The tower responds, "I've been waiting for you to contact us"

"I'm sorry. Did approach hand us off?"

"No...but that doesn't matter...it's your responsibility. You need to
realize that there is a problem before you're on a 1/2 mile final."