Are Planes taking off in Thunderstorms normal?

Old May 6th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Kev

Default Are Planes taking off in Thunderstorms normal?

On May 5, 5:18 pm, "William Black"
wrote:
"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Aircraft normally wait for thunderstorms to pass before taking off. No
aircraft is safe in a thunderstorm.

So you'll now produce some evidence of aircraft being knocked out of the sky
by thunderstorms.

What are you trying to say?

Throughout the history of flight, aircraft have been knocked out of
the sky by thunderstorms. That's why they usually make great efforts
to avoid them. Airport operations are also shut down during storms
until / unless there are clear takeoff paths between them.

There was a very interesting article in the news a few years back
about Atlanta being shut down by thunderstorms, and how they'd ask for
a "volunteer" to try out a hole they thought they saw on radar. By
tradition, the first planes in line usually had to be the
"volunteer" ;-)

Kev

Old May 6th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

William Black writes:

So you'll now produce some evidence of aircraft being knocked out of the sky
by thunderstorms.

You need evidence?

Old May 6th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

William Black writes:

It says heavy rain knocked that one down.

If you feel like flying into a thunderstorm, go ahead. Just make sure that
you're the only person on the plane.

Old May 6th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Morgans writes:

So under those qualifications, yes, they take off and land with
thunderstorms in the area, all of the time.

"Thunderstorms in the area" and "into thunderstorms" are two different things.

Old May 6th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Kev writes:

What are you trying to say?

It amazes me that anyone would require "evidence" that thunderstorms and
aircraft don't mix.

I don't know of any aircraft that have flown into a tornado and been damaged
by it, but that doesn't mean that flying into a tornado is safe.

There was a very interesting article in the news a few years back
about Atlanta being shut down by thunderstorms, and how they'd ask for
a "volunteer" to try out a hole they thought they saw on radar. By
tradition, the first planes in line usually had to be the
"volunteer" ;-)

How long ago was this?

Old May 6th 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Gene Seibel

On May 5, 3:48 pm, wrote:
http://www.thenewstribune.com/886/story/55281.html

Yes, but the pilots aren't.
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of Flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html

Old May 6th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

wrote in message
ps.com...
On May 5, 5:10 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Aircraft normally wait for thunderstorms to pass before taking off. No
aircraft is safe in a thunderstorm.

So most likely the Kenya Airways flight didn't follow procedure or
receive clearance?

Hard to say not knowing the exact situation, but in my opinion, only a pilot
with a death wish accepts a takeoff clearance in the middle of a
thunderstorm.
Dudley Henriques

Old May 6th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Dan Luke

"William Black" wrote:

So you'll now produce some evidence of aircraft being knocked out of the
sky by thunderstorms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souther...ays_Flight_242

It says heavy rain knocked that one down.

Yes; one finds that in thunderstorms.

How about this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines_Flight_191

...or this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_75

....or this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAir_Flight_1016

There are many, many more, if you care to look.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old May 6th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Morgans[_2_]

"Dudley Henriques" wrote

Hard to say not knowing the exact situation, but in my opinion, only a
pilot with a death wish accepts a takeoff clearance in the middle of a
thunderstorm.

Agreed, but reading between the lines, he had already had a delay of an
hour for rain, so one must think that the thunderstorm was no longer a
factor.
--
Jim in NC

New GNS 530 getting very hot - Is this normal ? Roy N5804F Owning 3 September 2nd 06 04:39 AM
Air France Flt 358 vs. thunderstorms [email protected] Piloting 11 August 4th 05 03:34 AM
Lycoming O-540, "normal" CHT/EGT??? USA Owning 3 August 1st 05 08:00 AM
Is ear-popping normal Piloting 9 April 24th 04 11:25 PM
Normal EGT - Very Low CHT markjen Owning 7 March 4th 04 01:54 PM