Errors accessing FAA's Pilotweb

Old February 2nd 09, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

Default Errors accessing FAA's Pilotweb

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Jon writes:

This assumes that careful thinking is required.

In this case, careful thinking is required.

That implies some kind of serious consequence for being wrong. What
serious consequences do you face for missing a NOTAM or violating a TFR
in your simulated airplane?

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old February 2nd 09, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JB

On Jan 30, 7:22*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Is anyone else getting SSL security errors when trying to access the FAA Web
site's Pilotweb pages? *I tried to look up TFRs today and got an error message
saying the certificate issuer was unknown. *One URL that does this is:

https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/center.html

Now that he's back, can I stop slamming my car door on my fingers
now?

--JB
Old February 2nd 09, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tri-Pacer[_3_]

That implies some kind of serious consequence for being wrong. What
serious consequences do you face for missing a NOTAM or violating a TFR
in your simulated airplane?

Oh man how about a simulated violation with a simulated loss of certificate.
Or even worse, a simulated mid-air with a water bomber for simulating flying
through a firefighting TFR.

Cheers:
Paul
N1431A
KSDM

Old February 2nd 09, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 31, 10:53*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Robert M. Gary writes:
I'm sorry, but that is just **too** funny!!! *Why are you interested
in TFRs?

I check them before flights, but in this case I wanted to see if there was a
TFR for that volcano in Alaska (and there is).

I guess I just don't understand simulation (I have a hard time just
finding time to mow my lawn, much less play on the computer). However,
wouldn't the benefit of playing on the flight simulator be that you
could ignore real TFRs and fly right over the White House (land on the
grass, etc)? I guess I don't understand how a TFR would benefit a
simulator. In anycase, I've never heard of the website you mention, I
use tfr.faa.gov to check TFRs online.

-Robert
Old February 2nd 09, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gig 601Xl Builder writes:

Well just to show you don't have a clue. It isn't a Firefox problem
because I don't use Firefox and I see the issue you describe.

It will be a problem with any browser that does not already have a certificate
for the issuer; it will not be a problem for any browser that has the
certificate.
Old February 2nd 09, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jon writes:

In any event: It was not a hard requirement by any means. There are
those who are quite familiar with NAIMES and who already knew that the
site is trusted.

That's not what the SSL certificate is for.
Old February 2nd 09, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Mike Ash writes:

That implies some kind of serious consequence for being wrong. What
serious consequences do you face for missing a NOTAM or violating a TFR
in your simulated airplane?

The serious consequence of accepting a bogus certificate authority is that
your computer can be infected with malware after you have done so. If you
enjoy identity theft, credit-card fraud, or reinstalling machines to eliminate
malware, that is your prerogative, but most people don't enjoy that.
Old February 2nd 09, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Robert M. Gary writes:

I guess I just don't understand simulation (I have a hard time just
finding time to mow my lawn, much less play on the computer). However,
wouldn't the benefit of playing on the flight simulator be that you
could ignore real TFRs and fly right over the White House (land on the
grass, etc)?

Only if you're a gamer. Normally the enjoyment of simulation requires that
many of the same constraints that apply in the real world also be respected in
the simulated world.
Old February 2nd 09, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon

On Feb 2, 3:23*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Jon writes:
In any event: It was not a hard requirement by any means. There are
those who are quite familiar with NAIMES and who already knew that the
site is trusted.

That's not what the SSL certificate is for.

So the certificate is self-signed. I trust NAIMES.

Sorry, gotta get back to work with the NAIMES folks.

Have fun in virtual land, simboy...