See SPOT run...

Old April 30th 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Default See SPOT run...

And, as has been mentioned elsewhere, the live track is IMHO, the best
feature of SPOT, especially now that the share page is easily
available.

With live tracking on, if you have an accident that incapacitates you,
and the ELT (if you have one) fails, the SPOT bread crumbs will give
the search party a clue about where to start looking.

It's not perfect, since the reports are not always every 10 minutes -
I've seen a gap of an hour while driving cross country with the SPOT
on my dash last week, but the track is still pretty good.

It's also possible to send an occasional OK message without too much
hassle:

With live tracking enabled, press and hold the OK button until the LED
flashes red

Once it goes out for good, tap the OK button to send the message

Set a countdown timer to go off in 5 or 15 minutes.

If the timer was set for 5 minutes, turn off SPOT, turn it back on and
enable live tracking

If the timer was set for 15 minutes, the OK LED should no longer be
blinking, so just press and hold OK to reenable live tracking.

The timer and alarm is important as you will no doubt forget to
reenable live tracking without it!

The manual OK message is the only way to push a message to someone
with a mobile phone and no web access.

-Tom
Old April 30th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rick Culbertson

On Apr 30, 9:55*am, MickiMinner wrote:
Hey guys using SPOT,
please answer a question for me.....
when I viewed the SPOT website, it said that you had to push a button
to mark your spot....is there some automatic timer? *I can't imagine
that it would be very safe to push the track button every few minutes/
seconds whatever....when I viewed the track of Gordon's flight...I
noticed that it only 5 track points on the XC flight.

What did Dave Leonard do? *Hit the button when he started home, or is
there some setting that will track every so often?
Just curious!
Thanks
Micki

Hi Micki & Charlie,
I believe JS and 5Z answered your question, but yes Dave did have the
auto tracking on. I read Gordon had some interference issue early in
his flight so that why it was incomplete.

I can see a day when this kind of simple tracking system will be a
good requirement in a contest, if for no other reason than for safety,
the CM would always know where the contest pilots are! As 2no
suggested the possibilities are endless if someone like "See You"
becomes involved in programs tied into the Spot Tracking. Clubs could
keep an eye on all xc pilots progress or at a contest put up a screen
showing all the pilots progress during a race. This would be very
Spectator friendly for all involved with much less stress concerning
the unknows on the crew and organizers. In any event it will be fun to
see where this goes, I'm reminded of the early days of GPS, See You &
OLC and how the evolution of these great ideas have positively changed
our sport.

See you in Parowan,
21

SPOT D.Rizzato General Aviation 0 February 5th 08 01:04 AM
SPOT D.Rizzato Restoration 0 February 5th 08 12:46 AM
SPOT D.Rizzato Piloting 0 February 5th 08 12:42 AM
SPOT D.Rizzato Owning 0 February 5th 08 12:42 AM
SPOT D.Rizzato Home Built 0 February 5th 08 12:39 AM