A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Anyone test fly both the JS3 and the Ventus 3?

Old December 19th 18, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Anyone test fly both the JS3 and the Ventus 3?

I think a more typical FAI solution would be to add new classes for tall pilots. 18m-tall and 18m-short.

How about a "one design" contest? You know, where there is one of each model of glider (V3, JS3, ASH-31, Diana2 etc.) and they are all flown by Sebastian Kawa clones.

Old December 19th 18, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 2:53:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I think a more typical FAI solution would be to add new classes for tall pilots. 18m-tall and 18m-short.

How about a "one design" contest? You know, where there is one of each model of glider (V3, JS3, ASH-31, Diana2 etc.) and they are all flown by Sebastian Kawa clones.

....and they fly through the exact same air at the same exact time..like in all contest tasks.
Old December 26th 18, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Richard I know a few pilots that have flown both the V3 and JS3 plus a pilot who spent some time decided which cockpit he best fitted in. Email me and I can pass on those contacts if you like
Old December 31st 18, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard DalCanto
external usenet poster

I am hopefully sitting in a Ventus 3 on Jan 12. We will see if I even fit, because even though I am extremely fit, I do have wide shoulders.

If I go with the Ventus, my best sustainer option will be the FES, which with me+parachute, will bring the empty wing loading to 8.23 lb/ft2 in 18M, and 9.05 in 15M. With the JS3, I can go FES with wing loading 8.47 and 9.22 respectively, or go with the lighter Jet, which with full fuel, would give wing loading more like the Ventus +FES, at 8.23 in 18M, and 8.94 in 15M......
Old January 1st 19, 09:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, 19 December 2018 20:30:18 UTC+2, Paul T wrote:
At 09:19 19 December 2018, ocgoudriaan wrote:
I am 6.2' and 210lbs. I fit well into the JS3 (well enough for 8hr

flights
without fatigue), even better in the LS8 and not at all in the V3 with

the
small fuselage.
The myth about the JS3 being too heavy to climb, is just that, and if it
comes to the run, I would rather be in a JS3 if I wanted to get home

first

FAI should mandate a minimum cockpit size to allow for the larger pilot
-smaller pilots are getting a slight performance advantage in these
smaller cockpit planes i.e Discus 2a vs the b. If it can't fit an Oscar
then
it should be banned from comps!

With Schempp A-fuselage you only get advantage over their B/C-fuselage, not over JS3/AS. Their fuselages are 2010's design that are aerodynamically on different level with attention to wing/fuselage-intersection etc.

I talked last summer with one Schleicher pilot with this Schempp fuselage dilemma. Like dozens of others, he has no chance fitting into tiny Ventus3 fuselage, and for him it would be unthinkable to shell out 200k eur to new glider and get second best (Ventus3 with bigger Nimbus4 cockpit). So Schleicher it is.
Old January 1st 19, 11:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

But if one is considering a FES glider then the performance differences between the fuselages of the V3 Sport, V3 Performance, and JS3 are less relevant given the performance loss from the prop on the nose. See the Idaflieg Lak 17a FES report that shows about 2 max LD points (4%) loss and 3-4 kph slower at typical cruise speeds at the same sink rate. It would make no sense to me to try to squeeze into a small cockpit to gain significantly less performance than you are losing from the prop.
Old January 1st 19, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Ditto.
FWIW, a look at the Czech Index List (handicaps) can give an idea of the Czech considerations about the performance of sailplanes, including all variants.
http://lkka.cz/sport/docs/CZIL.xls

While I really do love the FES system as an easy, immediate, nearly fool-proof sustainer, the performance as indicated by this Czech list seems to fall back one generation. In other words, V3F equals V2CXT.

Aldo Cernezzi

Il giorno martedì 1 gennaio 2019 11:33:42 UTC+1, ha scritto:
..... It would make no sense to me to try to squeeze into a small cockpit to gain significantly less performance than you are losing from the prop.

Old January 2nd 19, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Ditto. (added small correction)
FWIW, a look at the Czech Index List (handicaps) can give an idea of the Czech considerations about the performance of sailplanes, including all variants.
http://lkka.cz/sport/docs/CZIL.xls

While I really do love the FES system as an easy, immediate, nearly fool-proof sustainer, the performance as indicated by this Czech list seems to fall back one generation. In other words, for example V3F seems practically equal to V2CXT and the same applies to all other types and manufacturers.

Aldo Cernezzi

Il giorno martedì 1 gennaio 2019 11:33:42 UTC+1, ha scritto:
..... It would make no sense to me to try to squeeze into a small cockpit to gain significantly less performance than you are losing from the prop.

Old January 2nd 19, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.
external usenet poster

That is very interesting Aldo. They certainly do not like the V3 FES in 15m configuration. That is quite a performance penalty.
ROY