A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Mylar Not Sticking

Old January 13th 19, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
external usenet poster

Default Mylar Not Sticking

A wall paper seam wooden roller (1" wide) might work. Inexpensive. Found at paint and DIY stores.

- John OHM Ω
Old January 13th 19, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth
external usenet poster

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 5:05:39 PM UTC-5, Gary Wayland wrote:
The Mylar on the wings of my 27 or losing their adhesive. Can someone tell me what they would use to fix this, or should I just replace it all?

Thank You

A drywall tape roller is a good tool for applying pressure.

JMF
Old January 13th 19, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Temperature when applying the tape is also a factor. If it is winter when you attempt to replace the tape, try to at least get the surfaces warm so the adhesive has a better chance to "flow" and stick.
Old January 13th 19, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

This thread seems an appropriate time to note that properly applied and cared for Mylar seals can last a LONG time. When UH helped me refinish my then-26-year-old ASW 24 wings last winter, it was REALLY difficult to remove the original seals. The toughest part was getting the adhesive out of the channel in the wings. There was no tendency to "just pull on the end of the seal and it will lift right off". I had replaced the safety tape once before and that was easier to remove (and the previous adhesive had, in fact, deteriorated into a chalky powder).

The seals seemed to have retained their curvature, too, with no apparent tendency to lift off the control surfaces when deflected. I'm speaking just of the ailerons. If you have flaps that deflect further, this might not apply.

I always install the control locks on the ailerons in the neutral position when the glider goes in the trailer so I think that helps.

Your situation may be different so check the seals carefully from time to time. A loose seal can cause serious problems. But don't assume you need to rip them off and replace them if they're working fine and still secure.

Chip Bearden