My next medical

Old March 30th 06, 07:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default My next medical

So this coming Tuesday I get to enjoy having 3 wisdom teath extracted (For
some reason I never grew a fourth one). Yes-I cant wait! So do I have to
put this on my next medical application as "Surgeries"? I will be going to
see an oral surgeon to have him cut out one that has never come through the
gums, and I will be put under (a first for me). Of course I have no plans
to do any flying for the 5-7 days I expect to be laid up medicated. I know
it is nothing that I could be denied a medical for considering that most
people have their wisdom teath removed, but realistically do I need to put
it on my next medical application?

--
John Huthmaker
PPL-SEL P-28-161

http://www.cogentnetworking.com

Old March 30th 06, 08:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

report it. After you're off the medication, fly a dual
flight with a climb to altitude to make sure there are no
trapped gas pockets. If there are the pain will let you
know. You might need the other pilot to fly if you have
pain.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

link.net...

Old March 30th 06, 08:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

If you do it half the first time, you probably won't do the
second half.

"NW_PILOT" wrote in
message ...

Old March 30th 06, 09:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
Try having 2 removed then 2 weeks later having another 2 removed with just
local no gas!

When I was in the Navy, they yanked all 4 of mine... Nothing wrong with 'em,
but I was originally designated to go subs... Since subs don't have dentists
aboard, they yank the wisdom teeth as a precaution... Didn't make a ****in'
bit of sense... I told the doctor that with this type of logic, they would
amputate my arms and legs to ensure that I don't get them broken... Local
anesthesia (xylocain)... Walk back across base to the barracks, back to work
the next day...

Old March 30th 06, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
Try having 2 removed then 2 weeks later having another 2 removed with just
local no gas!

He's only got 3 to remove, not 4...

Old March 30th 06, 11:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 06:21:36 GMT, "John Huthmaker"
wrote:

So do I have to
put this on my next medical application as "Surgeries"?

I think I'd put it on the extended remarks space after Jan. 1, 2006:
Dr Primary Care - routine care. Then April 1, 2006: Dr Root Canal -
dental extractions. Something like that.

Or maybe not! I don't put dental or eyeglass doc visits down. Should
I?

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old March 30th 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Don't ask - Don't tell!

denny

Old March 30th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

John Huthmaker wrote:
So this coming Tuesday I get to enjoy having 3 wisdom teath extracted (For
some reason I never grew a fourth one). Yes-I cant wait! So do I have to
put this on my next medical application as "Surgeries"? I will be going to
see an oral surgeon to have him cut out one that has never come through the
gums, and I will be put under (a first for me). Of course I have no plans
to do any flying for the 5-7 days I expect to be laid up medicated. I know
it is nothing that I could be denied a medical for considering that most
people have their wisdom teath removed, but realistically do I need to put
it on my next medical application?

Report it. It's nothing that is going to affect your medical one way or the
other but it might if you don't report it. As for the guys who seem to worry
about anesthesia vs getting the medical... don't sweat it. I've had well over a
dozen surgeries and still qualify.

Heart transplant? Sure, that might affect you elegibility. But wisdom teeth?
Never!

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old March 30th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I think you are thinking of trapped gas after fillings are put in teeth.
In this case the air can't be readily reabsorbed and might expand at
altitude. After an extraction, any "gas" (air) would be reabsorbed
through the surrounding soft tissues and/or bone.

Jim Macklin wrote:

trapped gas pockets.