Wow - heard on the air... (long)

Old July 20th 05, 03:48 AM
Nathan Young

Default Wow - heard on the air... (long)

Today I flew RST (Rochester, MN) to 3CK (Chicago-Lake in the Hills).
As I neared Chicago I was listening to 120.55, which is ORD approach
for the North side. This was around 6pm, which is a pretty busy time
for approach, lots of arrivals and departures in the ORD area.

During the 15 minutes between Rockford and 3CK, I heard the biggest
clusterf**k on the air that I've been witness to in my 10+ years of
flying. I really wish I had a recorder handy because I couldn't
believe the level of incompetence... Maybe someone can point a link
to a LiveATC recording or simliar...

Anyway, as I tuned in approach, I heard an irrated controller giving
traffic avoidance instructions to the plane... This follows from
memory, but here goes...

Approach: Cessna 123, fly 130 for traffic"
Cessna 123: 130 (note the lack of aircraft N-number in response)

A minute later approach is reprimanding him for not flying 130, and
asking him what his heading is.

Approach: Cessna 123, what is your heading?
Cessna 123: EAST!!!
Approach: Cessna 123, say again, what is your heading?
Cessna 123: EAST!
Approach: How did you get on 090, I assigned you 130 for traffic.
Cessna 123: Didn't you assign me 110?
Approach: Nevermind. Cessna 123 fly 090, maintain 2400.
Cessna 123. EAST and 24

A minute later...

Approach: Cessna 123, I told you to fly 090, and now it looks like
you are not on that, and you are descending. Fly 090 and maintain
2400.
Cessna 123: 123, roger, 090, 24

A few minutes pass and a few vectors are issued to Cessna 123, which
he roughly follows. During this period of time, Cessna 123 randomly
and unprompted announces his heading and altitude on frequency.

Approach: Cessna 123, you are x miles from CUTEY the OM, cleared
ILS 16.
Cessna 123: OK, will you tell me when I'm at the runway?
editors note: it is perfect VFR, clear and vis probably close to 20
miles

long pause

Approach: Cessna 123, are you capable of flying an ILS?
After a long pause Cessna 123: Ahhh, well, I am flying the headings
you give me.
Approach: Yes, but are you capable of flying the ILS into Palwaukee?
Cessna 123: Ahhh, well, I meant to land at O'Hara, but they wouldn't
let me because I didn't have the reservation thingy that is required,
so they sent me to do the ILS at Palwaukee.
Approach; Cessna 123, that's not what I asked you. Can you fly the
ILS into Palwaukee?
Cessna 123: Ahh, blah blah blah more about how he intended to go to
OHara ...but we don't have an ILS chart for Palwaukee. ed. note:
keep that in mind
Approach: Cessna 123, OK. How about a visual into Palwaukee?
Cessna 123: OK, a visual into Palwaukee.
Approach: Cessna 123. Turn to 160 degrees, cleared visual approach
at Palwaukee.
Cessna 123: 160

A minute passes, and Cessna 123 calls out...
Cessna 123: 123 is at 2400 and 160
Approach: Cessna 123, you do not need to keep giving me your heading
and altitude.

A minute or two later...
Approach: Cessna 123. Did you want to go to OHare?
Cessna 123: Yes, but we didn't have the reservation, so they sent us
to Palwaukee. I've landed at OHara and Palwaukee before, so it does
not matter to me, unless you can clear me to O'Hara.
Approach: Cessna 123, I am Chicago Approach, I can clear you to any
airport in Chicago. Do you want to go to O'Hare?
Cessna 123: Yes, I would like to go to O'Hara.

Approach: Cessna 123, turn right to 220, vectors to OHare, expect 9L.
Cessna 123: Right 220, expect 9L, vectors.

A few minutes pass...

Cessna 123: You want me to land 9L, right?
Approach: Yes, 9L. There is going to be airline traffic landing 9R,
so do not cross the (garbled) ed. note, I assume approach said
control tower as it separates 9L from 9R

Cessna 123: 9L.

At this point, I was in the pattern at 3CK, and faced with a tough
decision. Get home and see my family, or fly another 30 minutes and
listen to this guy's approach into ORD. I decided my family was more
important, so I ended up landing.

As I taxied in, a number of airliners were signing off on frequency
changes with 'good luck'...

So what's the point of posting this? One, I thought it was comical -
I was practically crying listening to the exchanges...

Second, I want to show the type of mindset that a few pilots have.
The gentleman in question obviously did little/no flight planning,
lacks basic flight skills, and lacks basic radio skills. He was
flying IFR, but apparently without proper charts (I doubt he had any
approach plates if he didn't have plates for PWK).

This is the prototype for a pilot ready to give GA a major black eye.
I guarantee if this was DC, he would have been another TFR/ADIZ bust.

I sure hope this gentleman got a phone number to call upon landing,
and a followup visit from the friendly folks at the FAA.

-Nathan
Old July 20th 05, 04:01 AM
Peter R.

Nathan Young wrote:

Maybe someone can point a link
to a LiveATC recording or simliar...

I just checked LiveATC and unfortunately they do not have this frequency,
nor most of Chicago's frequencies, yet. The closest feed is Dubuque, Iowa,
with a couple of Chicago center frequencies in the mix. That's too bad,
too, as this exchange would have been very interesting to hear.

LiveATC is made up of volunteers who are able to pick up nearby airport
frequencies and have an always-on Internet connection. If you know of
anyone who lives relatively close to ORD, talk them into sending LiveATC a
Chicago feed.

--
Peter

Old July 20th 05, 05:09 AM
Doug

Guy is nuts to go into OHare. I can just imagine what happened when
they had him taxi in. Those taxiways are complicated and crowded. I
don't think I'd go into OHare without a copilot who had been there.

Old July 20th 05, 01:14 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Doug wrote:
Guy is nuts to go into OHare. I can just imagine what happened when
they had him taxi in. Those taxiways are complicated and crowded. I
don't think I'd go into OHare without a copilot who had been there.

I've been to Hartsfield in a C-172 and JFK in a C-414. Getting in was
relatively easy; it was trying to leave that was the PITA.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old July 20th 05, 04:09 PM
Gene Seibel

We forget that the fairly well informed and connected pilots we see
here on the internet are only a small slice of the big picture. All
around the country are little out of the way airports with pilots who
have no clue what goes on beyond the county line. Maybe they did fly
into O'Hare once 50 years ago when it was a grass strip, or have an
instructor who did. Their biennial, if they take one, is given by a
good old boy instructor that's just as disconnected as they are. They
can fly an airplane and fly it well, but they have no clue how to
interface with the world outside. Living in the open areas of the
Midwest, I've run into some real characters. I've seen doors tied shut
with baling wire, wires twisted together instead of an ignition switch,
and much, much more. Some have had their run-ins with the FAA over and
over again and the FAA has thrown up their hands and walked away. It's
the 21st century only in the big cities and on the calendar.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

Old July 20th 05, 04:52 PM

Here in southern CT I've heard some exchanges with NY Approach (don't
recall if the acft in question was trying to get into JFK or LGA) that
just had me shaking my head. Personally I'd never fly into a Class B
airport in something slow, but I know guys that have with varying
degress of success (measured by the controller's level of
exasperation). The airspace just south of here is too damn busy to
accommodate newbies or most weekend flyers safely.

Will

Old July 20th 05, 05:03 PM
Peter R.

Personally I'd never fly into a Class B
airport in something slow, but I know guys that have with varying
degress of success (measured by the controller's level of
exasperation).

The first year I flew for Angel Flight I did several flights to Teterboro,
NJ (through NY class B), Baltimore-Washington Int., and Boston Logan in a
C172SP. Perhaps it was the fact that I was flying under the AF callsign,
but not one controller complained outwardly. My response was to always
remain extra sharp, listen, and immediately comply.

During the various approaches, I do recall *always* receiving a "best
speed, please" request, however.

--
Peter

Old July 20th 05, 05:39 PM
Alan

On 19 Jul 2005 21:09:26 -0700, "Doug"
wrote:

Guy is nuts to go into OHare. I can just imagine what happened when
they had him taxi in. Those taxiways are complicated and crowded. I
don't think I'd go into OHare without a copilot who had been there.

But, he wasn't going to O'Hare. He was going to O'Har"a". He
should be de-winged just for not knowing the proper name!

Old July 20th 05, 05:56 PM
Alan

Two weeks ago I was coming back to Boulder from Akron, CO. There was
some buildup to the north and I could see a couple of cloud patches
with virga. Listening in to Denver Fligh****ch I heard this exchange
with a pilot who seemed a bit inexperienced but was trying hard.

Cessna 234: Uh, Fligh****ch, Cessna 234.
Fligh****ch: Cessna 234, go ahead, say request.
Cessna 234: Cessna 234 would like to file a pilot report.
Fligh****ch: Cessna 234, go ahead.
Cessna 234: Cessn 234 is between Longmont and Fort Collins - Loveland
at 7000'. There are some clouds to the northwest with virga. It
looks like the virga is now going all the way to the ground. Over.
Fligh****ch: Cessna 234, do you know virga is called when it hits
the ground?
Cessna 234: (slight pause). Uh, negative, I guess that I don't.
Fligh****ch: Virga that reaches the ground is called rain!
Cessna 234: Oh, thanks for that info.

Dogs can fly.
http://www.flyingmutts.com

Old July 20th 05, 06:19 PM
Doug

One thing a LOT of pilots don't do right. When you call fligh****ch,
you should give your position on your initial callup. This is because
although it's all the same frequency, there are different transmitters.
If you don't give your position, he has to reply on ALL the
transmitters he has becuase he doesn't know WHERE YOU ARE!

I hear this mistake time and time again.