New Book: "Thermals" / Hertenstein / Bob Wander / Mentor Series

Old June 24th 05, 03:07 PM

Default New Book: "Thermals" / Hertenstein / Bob Wander / Mentor Series

Gliderfolks, There is a new book in the gliding world.
Title: "Thermals"
Author: Rolf Hertenstein, Ph.D.
Editor & Publisher: Bob Wander / Soaring Books / USA /
www.bobwander.com

Notes by Bob Wander

1. Imagine that a teenager becomes a full-time professional glider
flight instructor. He instructs full-time for ten years, logs thousands
of hours, and earns his Diamond Badge.
2. Then he earns a Ph.D. in Meteorology.
3. Then he becomes a research scientist, specializing in atmospheric
turbulence, with specific emphasis on thermal analysis, mountain wave
analysis, and rotor analysis.
4. Then he writes a superb book about thermals and convection that
non-scientists (guys like me) can understand.

The latest book in the Gliding Mentor series - "Thermals" by Rolf
Hertenstein, Ph.D. - came about EXACTLY as described above.

What's in it? Just about everything that you ever wanted to know about
thermals. From the rankest amateur, and up to and including the finest
triple-diamond cross-country pilot, you will find TONS of information
about thermals, soundings, thermal waves, and thermal prediction that
you can USE to extend your knowledge and your flight performances. In
the five months that I spent editing and illustrating this book, I
learned LOTS of new things about thermals, convection, the Skew-T,
thermal prediction, numeric weather modeling, weather resources on the
Web, thunderstorms, and a host of other important topics in its 92
large-format 8.5 by 11-inch pages. And recently, I used what I learned
from this book to select the day to fly my Diamond Distance flight -
515 kilometers. Fun!

"Thermals" ($18.95) is available from www.bobwander.com.
Posted by Bob Wander
Editor and publisher of the Gliding Mentor series books
Website: www.bobwander.com
E-mail:
-end

Old June 24th 05, 05:08 PM
Bob Whelan

oups.com...
Author: Rolf Hertenstein, Ph.D.
Editor & Publisher: Bob Wander / Soaring Books / USA /
www.bobwander.com

- - - - - -

One of life's 'pleasurable chores' was having the opportunity to be a Joe
Copy Editor for Rolf's manuscript. I can say honestly topic and content
combined to warrant readings for pleasure and learning in addition to those
purely for typos/clarity. (With economic apologies to Bob Wander and Rolf -
and thanks to computer-based editing - my last-printed/read manuscript
hard-copy got added to my soaring library!)

Soaring pilots earlyish on the learning curve will find gobs of useful,
easily comprehensible, lucid content within, while more-experienced,
hidebound geezers (e.g. myself) will obtain hours of winter reading
enjoyment with the probability of learning a few new things in addition to
'the usual' refreshment of somewhat dormant/background (if annually applied
in pursuit of this wonderful avocation) concepts.

IMHO, definitely a worthy addition to soaring's useful print body of work.
For anyone wondering, it's written from a global - i.e. non U.S.-centric -
perspective; think (for example) Reichman's books.

Bob - world's worst salesman - Whelan

- - - - - -

Old June 24th 05, 09:10 PM

All I want to know about thermals is where the f**k are they when I
need them.

Old June 25th 05, 01:40 AM
Tim Ward

wrote in message
oups.com...

All I want to know about thermals is where the f**k are they when I
need them.

Well, that's a simple answer:
somewhere else

Tim Ward

Old June 25th 05, 05:34 AM
COLIN LAMB

When you can only find sink and get tired of watching the sink, invert the
aircraft - then look for sink.

But watch your head.

Colin