B-17 "Sentimental Journey"!

Old August 12th 04, 10:36 AM
John T Lowry

Default B-17 "Sentimental Journey"!

But at an air show at San Marcos last year, when I asked a CAF member
what they were "commemorating" with their new name, he replied, "The
Confederacy, of course." I went through "Sentimental Journey" at an air
show in Billings some years ago and got a bunch crew autographs on a
picture of that very nice airplane.

"Brian Burger" wrote in message
.tc.ca...
Spent a cooler than usual hour and a half at the airport this

morning -
crawling all over the Commemorative Air Force's[1] B17G "Sentimental
Journey", which is here for a few days before it heads off the the big
Abbotsford Airshow this weekend.

They don't get up to Canada much - haven't even been to Abbotsford in

few years - and there's only a dozen or so flying B17s in the world,

so
this was a huge treat!

She's a big, shiny bird, all glossy aluminum and rivets, but really,
really cramped inside. I'm 5'11" and in good shape, and it was still a

bit
of a challenge getting around in some areas of the fusalage! Getting

from
the nose hatch up to the cockpit requires minor gymnastics, and the
catwalk through the bomb-bay is only about seven inches wide!

I bought some pins, took a lot of pictures, and felt honoured to be

able
to examine such an awesome piece of aviation history, especially one
that's still flying and in really, really good condition.

'Sentimental Journey's homepage is he
http://www.arizonawingcaf.org/b17.asp

When I get the photos developed I might post some of the good ones to

my
website - I'll post here if I do!

Brian.
[1] Yes, I know they used to be the 'Confederate etc etc' -

Commemorative
is a far better name, I think. They do commemorate WW2, 'Confederate'

is
from the wrong war, and besides, why should any organization be happy
calling itself the 'Racist Losers Air Force' in the 21st Century?

Old August 12th 04, 01:20 PM
John T

"Brian Burger" wrote in message
.tc.ca

'Confederate' is from the wrong war, and besides, why should any
organization be happy calling itself the 'Racist Losers Air Force' in
the 21st Century?

Forgive him for he knows not what he speaks.

As for the plane, post your pics. Mine are he

http://server/TknoFlyer/flights.asp#040525

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old August 12th 04, 02:35 PM
John Gaquin

"Brian Burger" wrote in message

Brian.
[1] Yes, I know they used to be the 'Confederate etc etc' - Commemorative
is a far better name, I think. They do commemorate WW2, 'Confederate' is
from the wrong war,

wrong track....

and besides, why should any organization be happy
calling itself the 'Racist Losers Air Force' in the 21st Century?

study some history.

Old August 13th 04, 05:54 PM
gatt

"John Gaquin" wrote in message

and besides, why should any organization be happy
calling itself the 'Racist Losers Air Force' in the 21st Century?

study some history.

Indeed.

-c