Battery question

Old June 21st 20, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Battery question

On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 11:42:58 AM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
On 6/21/20 8:18 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 12:13:51 AM UTC-4, SoaringXCellence wrote:
Another item on your list has a very high current draw: The Stratux is based on a Raspberry Pi and those have more current draw than most of the rest of your panel!

I have a 15000mAh LimeFuel external pack I run with my Stratux (Pi 3 based). It goes too low for effective operation of the Pi in about 4.5 hours.. The spec for the Pi says it needs a 2.5 Amp 5-volt power supply.

But I have found that some of the Pi devices have lower current needs, and especially if you are making your own Stratux, you should check out a few different units and pick the one with the lowest power draw.

The Stratux software will run on a Pi 2 or 3. The Pi 4 is definitely over kill and uses the most power of the bunch.

Mike

Talking about watt-hours, a "12V" LFP battery outputs 13.x volts through most of its discharge, thus outputs somewhat more watt-hours than an SLA that yields the same amp-hours. Most of our modern avionics use less current when fed a higher voltage, very unlike ye olde light bulb. I've measured that behavior in my Portable PowerFLARM, for example.

The OP said he was using a 14 volt SLA, which I suppose proves how he
absolutely must use SLA.

- not necessarily. Some of the older radios misbehaved when the "12V" SLAs were depleted down to under 12V. So people used 7-cell "14V" SLAs. With the LFP batteries maintaining above 13V through their discharge, I believe those 14V SLAs can be abandoned. Not to mention that very few of those old balky radios are still in service.
Old June 22nd 20, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On 6/21/20 8:18 AM, wrote:
[...]

They better not be in service because they are illegal to use and have been illegal for many year..
Old June 22nd 20, 11:42 AM
Delta8 Delta8 is offline
Member

Location: Pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsell View Post
On 6/21/20 8:18 AM, wrote:
[...]

Back to the original topic, he said he's thinking of adding Flarm, and
most of those products have ADS-B In. I'd suggest going ahead and add
that, get a decent size screen, and forget the Stratux and iPad.
Haha Just ordered a 12v 15 ah Lifpo battery and a 12v to 5 v converter.
The SLA was powering an old radio yes. I would like to keep using the Stratux with Foreflight . It's also nice to have all the airport/weather info with a touch . It also has AHHRS ,I'm not planning on cloud flying but it's there if needed.
I am exploring Flarm purchase . Is there a Power Flarm that will give voice alerts with direction ? Currently I'll get a pretty specific warning "Traffic 12 O clock one mile same altitude " . For the money it provides a lot .
Old June 22nd 20, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 11:43:06 AM UTC-7, Delta8 wrote:
I would like to build a 5 volt system to run Kobo with Top Hat/GPS as
well as power my I phone with ForeFlight and a Stratux receiver for
ads-b in . I like the audio collision avoidance that ForeFlight provides
.
Currently using power banks but during long flights changing batteries
is a pain .
I don't have Flarm yet but planning on in the future.
I have a 14v SLA battery for everything else.
Am I better of searching for a larger power bank ? Biggest I've seen is
70,000 mAh .
I've seen ways to convert 12v to 5 but they seem like they will drain
battery life of the 12v .
Sorry for what may be a simple question with an obvious answer.

--
Delta8

I use a couple of these battery buddies pluged into a rig runner. links below. works great! you can also get a usb splitter to run two usb devices off one battery buddy

https://powerwerx.com/usbbuddy-power...device-charger
https://powerwerx.com/west-mountain-...05h-horizontal
Old June 23rd 20, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

wrote:-
Another item on your list has a very high current draw: The Stratux is
based on a Raspberry Pi and those have more current draw than most of
the rest of your panel!

I have a 15000mAh LimeFuel external pack I run with my Stratux (Pi 3
based). It goes too low for effective operation of the Pi in about 4.5
hours. The spec for the Pi says it needs a 2.5 Amp 5-volt power supply.

But I have found that some of the Pi devices have lower current needs,
and especially if you are making your own Stratux, you should check out
a few different units and pick the one with the lowest power draw.

The Stratux software will run on a Pi 2 or 3. The Pi 4 is definitely
over kill and uses the most power of the bunch.

Mike-
-
-

[...]

How old is this radio? Is it a 760 channel radio?

Tom

A Different Battery Question Dan Marotta Soaring 18 December 3rd 19 07:15 AM
14v Battery Question. [email protected] Soaring 5 June 6th 15 02:40 AM
Battery Question mbremer216 Owning 7 October 6th 06 10:16 PM
Yet Another Battery Question P. Corbett Soaring 5 April 26th 06 02:22 AM
Battery Question [email protected] Soaring 19 September 15th 05 01:38 AM