New Electric Motorglider-Birdy

Old August 16th 20, 06:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default New Electric Motorglider-Birdy

On Saturday, 15 August 2020 at 15:59:21 UTC+3, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Well ...
-it sure _looks_ like real glider

Maybe we can call it "glider-shaped object" then.
Old August 16th 20, 09:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Saturday, August 15, 2020 at 6:59:21 AM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:
krasw wrote on 8/14/2020 10:20 PM:
You do understand that this is more like 3-axis rigid wing hangglider than real glider? 120 kg empty with 3-6 kWh of batteries gives you half the structural weight of normal glider.

Well ...
-it sure _looks_ like real glider
- with a 40:1 L/D it glides like a real glider
- and a 33.75 kg/m2 max wing loading should give it real glider XC speed.

By comparison, my ASW 20 looked like a real glider, was about 40:1, 36 kg/m2
unballasted, and had real glider XC speed, but no self-launch or rescue system.

Website: https://e-birdy.com/
Brochu https://ebirdycom.files.wordpress.co...birdyx2019.pdf

Anyone know what the street price of the Birdy is going to be?
Old August 16th 20, 10:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

At 03:46 16 August 2020, Eric Greenwell wrote:
AS wrote on 8/15/2020 6:56 PM:
On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 10:40:11 AM UTC-4,

wrote:
Check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=-

FYwGOT0SG8&feature=emb_logo

Dan

Talking about electric self-launch gliders, here is one on the other

end
of the spectrum compared to the Birdy:
https://www.alexander-schleicher.de/...euge/as-34-me/
Do I dare to ask how much this latest development from Poppenhausen

costs? Probably a little bit more than the Birdy!

6-7 months ago, the US Schleicher dealer told me it would cost about
have the AS-34, with trailer,instruments, and shipping, delivered to his
shop in
California.

....and this is the 'cheap club orientated ship'.............soaring will
disappear
up its own arsehole soon with the way things are going...........

Old August 16th 20, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 4:13:39 AM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:

Anyone know what the street price of the Birdy is going to be?

BTW, its something like a 'fast-build kit'.