Tail Dolly Tire Pops off Rim

Old October 7th 20, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default Tail Dolly Tire Pops off Rim

Last year I replaced the 200 x 50 tube. A few days ago it was low and I pumped it up to 36 or so pounds according to max pressure on the tire.

The next day the tire came off the rim and won't stay on even with much reduced pressure. Can't really complain as could have been on for 20+ years.

In the interim I just bought a Princess Auto (Canuck for Harbor Freight) solid rubber wheel that I hope can be made to work with a few extra washers.

Does anybody know a decent supplier for dolly tires?
Old October 7th 20, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 11:07:02 PM UTC-4, George Haeh wrote:
Last year I replaced the 200 x 50 tube. A few days ago it was low and I pumped it up to 36 or so pounds according to max pressure on the tire.

The next day the tire came off the rim and won't stay on even with much reduced pressure. Can't really complain as could have been on for 20+ years.

In the interim I just bought a Princess Auto (Canuck for Harbor Freight) solid rubber wheel that I hope can be made to work with a few extra washers.

Does anybody know a decent supplier for dolly tires?

Check with W&W. They carry a replacement wheel for the IMI tail dollies, which were originally delivered with air-less solid foam tires. These tended to swell up and pop off the rim when used on hot black-top as found in Moriarty in June!
The replacement is an air tire 2.50-4, which they call 'Military Tread' and can be inflated to 50psi.
The hub is 75mm wide and the hole in the bearing is dia. 20mm. The dolly uses a bushing inside that bearing in order to bring the bolt size down.
Mine has not yet popped off the rim.

Uli
'AS'
Old October 7th 20, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glenn Betzoldt[_2_]

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 11:34:39 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
[...]

I have been changing all my tires to hard rubber and this is the type I used for tail dolly from tractor supply for $18 bucks
Martin Wheel 10x275 10 in. Heavy-Duty Wheel, 2-1/4x5/8 in. Offset Hub, ZP1102RT-2O2 I put a new axel in as well.
GB
Old October 7th 20, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 11:07:02 PM UTC-4, George Haeh wrote:
Last year I replaced the 200 x 50 tube. A few days ago it was low and I pumped it up to 36 or so pounds according to max pressure on the tire.

The next day the tire came off the rim and won't stay on even with much reduced pressure. Can't really complain as could have been on for 20+ years.

In the interim I just bought a Princess Auto (Canuck for Harbor Freight) solid rubber wheel that I hope can be made to work with a few extra washers.

Does anybody know a decent supplier for dolly tires?

Amazon has them https://www.amazon.ca/Wingsmoto-Rubb...d%2C174&sr=8-9 .

I prefer to go to a wheelchair supply store in Ottawa which has tires and tubes that work for tail dollies.
Old October 7th 20, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I use a solid wheel chair front tire on my tail dolly.Â* I needed to lube
it a bit and then use a hydraulic press to slip it onto the wheel, but
it never goes flat.

--
Dan, 5J

Tail Dolly Tire John Cochrane[_3_] Soaring 32 August 20th 16 05:26 PM
Tail dolly for ASW-28 27? 29? Discus 44 Soaring 6 July 8th 16 05:16 PM
LS4 tail dolly Leigh Soaring 0 May 30th 08 02:02 AM
FS: ASW-24 Tail Dolly [email protected] Soaring 0 December 26th 06 03:40 PM
Tail Dolly Tire Albert Gold Soaring 7 May 19th 05 01:36 PM