A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Tail Dolly Tire Pops off Rim

Old October 7th 20, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh
external usenet poster

Default Tail Dolly Tire Pops off Rim

Last year I replaced the 200 x 50 tube. A few days ago it was low and I pumped it up to 36 or so pounds according to max pressure on the tire.

The next day the tire came off the rim and won't stay on even with much reduced pressure. Can't really complain as could have been on for 20+ years.

In the interim I just bought a Princess Auto (Canuck for Harbor Freight) solid rubber wheel that I hope can be made to work with a few extra washers.

Does anybody know a decent supplier for dolly tires?
Old October 7th 20, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 11:07:02 PM UTC-4, George Haeh wrote:
Last year I replaced the 200 x 50 tube. A few days ago it was low and I pumped it up to 36 or so pounds according to max pressure on the tire.

The next day the tire came off the rim and won't stay on even with much reduced pressure. Can't really complain as could have been on for 20+ years.

In the interim I just bought a Princess Auto (Canuck for Harbor Freight) solid rubber wheel that I hope can be made to work with a few extra washers.

Check with W&W. They carry a replacement wheel for the IMI tail dollies, which were originally delivered with air-less solid foam tires. These tended to swell up and pop off the rim when used on hot black-top as found in Moriarty in June!
The replacement is an air tire 2.50-4, which they call 'Military Tread' and can be inflated to 50psi.
The hub is 75mm wide and the hole in the bearing is dia. 20mm. The dolly uses a bushing inside that bearing in order to bring the bolt size down.
Mine has not yet popped off the rim.

Uli
'AS'
Old October 7th 20, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glenn Betzoldt[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 11:34:39 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:

Check with W&W. They carry a replacement wheel for the IMI tail dollies, which were originally delivered with air-less solid foam tires. These tended to swell up and pop off the rim when used on hot black-top as found in Moriarty in June!
The replacement is an air tire 2.50-4, which they call 'Military Tread' and can be inflated to 50psi.
The hub is 75mm wide and the hole in the bearing is dia. 20mm. The dolly uses a bushing inside that bearing in order to bring the bolt size down.
Mine has not yet popped off the rim.

Uli
'AS'

I have been changing all my tires to hard rubber and this is the type I used for tail dolly from tractor supply for $18 bucks
Martin Wheel 10x275 10 in. Heavy-Duty Wheel, 2-1/4x5/8 in. Offset Hub, ZP1102RT-2O2 I put a new axel in as well.
GB
Old October 7th 20, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

Amazon has them https://www.amazon.ca/Wingsmoto-Rubb...d%2C174&sr=8-9 .

I prefer to go to a wheelchair supply store in Ottawa which has tires and tubes that work for tail dollies.
Old October 7th 20, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

I use a solid wheel chair front tire on my tail dolly.Â* I needed to lube
it a bit and then use a hydraulic press to slip it onto the wheel, but
it never goes flat.

On 10/6/2020 9:06 PM, George Haeh wrote:

--
Dan, 5J