One-man rigging aids - is the electric up/down control worth it?

Old June 2nd 19, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phil Jeffery[_2_]

Default One-man rigging aids - is the electric up/down control worth it?

At 16:08 02 June 2019, Tango Eight wrote:
Sometimes, there's a better way :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcRipsiPgdk

See also:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/jJheTqvVZkg

best,
Evan

I recommend not lowering the wheel until the wings are on. If the
hydraulic jack lowers itself, and I know it happens, there's nothing to
prevent the fuselage rolling over.

Also, with a suitable bar in the wing-pin hole they can easily be fully
engaged once they're close. It seriously reduces the number of trips to
the wing tips.

Phil

Old June 3rd 19, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Giaco

I build a homemade one based roughly on UDO's designs back when I had an HP-14. I nearly lost all my glider friends at wave camp asking for help rigging! We used an electric actuator that made use of the remote control unit from a $40 Harbor Freight winch and a small 12V LIPO battery. The system was a bit heavy, but was very helpful when you don't have a ship where everything doesn't line up perfectly every time. I think we spent a little under $500 total in parts. happy to share photos if interested
cxgiacomo-at-gmail
Old June 3rd 19, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Sunday, June 2, 2019 at 6:45:04 PM UTC-4, Phil Jeffery wrote:
... with a suitable bar in the wing-pin hole they can easily be fully
engaged once they're close. It seriously reduces the number of trips to
the wing tips.

Depends entirely on the glider type; shouldn't ever be required with LS.
Old June 3rd 19, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

A couple of days ago I witnessed an attempt to rig a 1-36 (I think it
was), and the owner was using a crow bar!Â* Try that with FRP structures.

--
Dan, 5J
Old June 3rd 19, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

On Sunday, June 2, 2019 at 9:44:34 AM UTC-5, Paul Kaye wrote:
....it's not always easy to get help to rig/de-rig so I'm thinking of getting a on-man rigging aid. ...if any of you have any experiences/opinions, I'd be happy to hear them!

When I bought my Ventus in 2000, I bought a bespoke one-man assembly tool from the late Joe Schneider, a machinist and glider guy, that is sturdy, heavy, and remotely operated for up-down movement and manually adjustable for wing tilt. Fore-aft movement is done at the wingtip. I have learned many lessons from 19 years of solo rigging my Ventus.
1: The second wing pushes the first wing out of alignment unless fixed in place. My latest and fastest solution is to align the first wing almost perfectly and then tape the root. (I also put the main spar pin in halfway and brace it with a folded card, but that's not quite adequate.)
2: When working alone, the tilt of the wing chord is important.
3: I have 3 pins to align. The tilt of the fuselage, the height of the fuselage, the tilt and height of the wing are all important. This is a 3-dimensional challenge that can be solved with thoughtful care.
4: The best design I've seen for sale is
https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/soaringxx.htm
I saw it demonstrated at the last SSA convention, and it moves the wing in all axes remotely, perfect for the challenges of truly solo rigging. It's out of your budget, but is exactly what I'd thought of designing for myself and, after inflation, less expensive that the one I have. Amortized over the 2 decades I've used it, it's been a bargain.
5: The wind is very important in solo rigging.
A: I always point the trailer into the wind *gusts*, bearing in mind that the wind will change somewhat during a long soaring day.
B: If it's windy, solo rigging may not be safe for the wing. I've been able to solo-assemble in winds up 20 knots with GREAT care. Being in the lee of a big building is helpful, but beware turbulence.
C: In windy conditions, you need to be able to turn the wing flat as soon as possible after removing from the trailer and as late as possible when de-rigging.
D: A solo-rig device is very helpful even when help is available because it reduces risk and strain.
DrDan
Old June 4th 19, 09:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

On Sunday, June 2, 2019 at 10:44:34 AM UTC-4, Paul Kaye wrote:
My new club seems to have a culture of rig in April and derig in October! Personally I prefer to rig and derig for each flight, unless I know that there is a run of several days good weather and I'm available to fly. I have covers (Cloud-dancers) but I really don't think they offer the protection against UV that is needed for leaving it outdoors for long periods.

Anyhow, as a consequence, it's not always easy to get help to rig/de-rig so I'm thinking of getting a on-man rigging aid. It seems that I can get one from IMI for about €900 that is manually-adjustable for height and sideways alignment, or I could pay around €1500 for an electrically-adjustable version. I'm happy to pay for the more expensive one, if it's worth it. So, if any of you have any experiences/opinions, I'd be happy to hear them!

Thanks in advance.

I have a Fonz-Mobile one man rigger... No Motors! Use the cradle carriage pump to do the up and down when adjusting for the final pin in the spar...

Gary

"SQ"
Old June 4th 19, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 3:06:03 AM UTC-5, Gary Wayland wrote:
[...]

Looks like we have a bunch of girly luddites on this topic. Two points: the linear actuators are dirt-cheap and easy to fit even to existing riggers. I built my own. Second, remote control of those actuators cost you a whopping $10-20 and makes it super easy to get the pins in. Here is my rigger whirring away in my basement (no wing saddle fitted).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N43YMoq2h7s&t=3s
Now watch it in action, ~7 min for the inside wings. Try to beat that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnmaUsPtvSI&t=1s
Old June 4th 19, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ripacheco1967

you built that rigger yourself? that is nice... looks awesome
When you know... you know!
Old June 4th 19, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, June 3, 2019 at 11:13:15 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
A couple of days ago I witnessed an attempt to rig a 1-36 (I think it
was), and the owner was using a crow bar!Â* Try that with FRP structures.

--
Dan, 5J

Once when I was rigging my HP14 years ago a "helpful" bystander wanted to apply a hammer to the balky spar pins.

That said, some FRP gliders come with a sort of crowbar from the factory, to draw the wings together that last inch - applying the forces to suitably engineered points.
Old June 4th 19, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Older GRP maybe....I haven't seen a tool like that in anything made in 30+ years.
I have seen SGS-1-35, and older glass ships, but I usually deal with "AWx" ships, so, I am not an expert.
Most "newer" ships can use a longer tapered pin to align the first hole (assuming 2 root pins) to get one started, then fiddle the 2nd one in......

Soaring Aids Variometer Tony Condon[_2_] Soaring 4 July 4th 09 11:24 AM
Soaring Aids Variometer Tony Condon[_2_] Soaring 0 July 2nd 09 04:00 PM
Hearing Aids Casey Wilson Piloting 9 February 20th 06 02:40 AM
Yet another case of AIDS jsmith Piloting 12 March 18th 05 02:20 AM
MT Props w/Electric Pitch Control x Home Built 6 April 1st 04 02:44 PM