A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

SiO2 (Ceramic wax) on sailplanes ?

Old January 8th 21, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MMOORE
external usenet poster

Default SiO2 (Ceramic wax) on sailplanes ?

The new SiO2 spray on/buff off waxes for cars are amazing. Anyone use this on glass sailplanes ?

It is a silica
Old January 8th 21, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jay Campbell
external usenet poster

On Thursday, January 7, 2021 at 6:19:11 PM UTC-5, MMOORE wrote:
The new SiO2 spray on/buff off waxes for cars are amazing. Anyone use this on glass sailplanes ?

It is a silica

No first-hand knowledge, but 3M makes a product for boats. In general, if 3M makes a product, it is the best of all of its competitors. No dog in that particular hunt, but as I contemplate another round of hard wax (and hard work) while we are between seasons, I'm wondering if this wouldn't be a great alternative especially as to ease of application. Anyone knowledgeable, please chime in. Here's a link to the product. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...es+for+gelcoat. Caveat: info says it is suitable for environments not sensitive to silicone and I remember hearing once that silicone can sometimes interfere with fiberglass repairs. What say you, group?
Old January 8th 21, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MMOORE
external usenet poster

On Friday, January 8, 2021 at 10:06:03 AM UTC-5, wrote:

It is a silica

No first-hand knowledge, but 3M makes a product for boats. In general, if 3M makes a product, it is the best of all of its competitors. No dog in that particular hunt, but as I contemplate another round of hard wax (and hard work) while we are between seasons, I'm wondering if this wouldn't be a great alternative especially as to ease of application. Anyone knowledgeable, please chime in. Here's a link to the product. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...es+for+gelcoat. Caveat: info says it is suitable for environments not sensitive to silicone and I remember hearing once that silicone can sometimes interfere with fiberglass repairs. What say you, group?

I used this on my car recently, its slick, shiny and low work. Could it be this easy for a glass ship ?
https://www.meguiars.com/ingredients/20735
Old January 8th 21, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, 7 January 2021 at 23:19:11 UTC, MMOORE wrote:
It is a silica

SiO2 is silica, the main ingredient of sand and also of quartz.
"Silicones" names a class of substances containing the element Silicon (amongst others), which are commonly used as polishes. They are sometimes a component of "Ceramic Wax".

I am no expert on composite repairs, but the conjunction of "fibreglass" or "gel-coat" with "silicone" rings alarm bells for me!
J.
Old January 8th 21, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis Cavagnaro
external usenet poster

On Friday, January 8, 2021 at 11:53:21 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, 7 January 2021 at 23:19:11 UTC, MMOORE wrote:
It is a silica

SiO2 is silica, the main ingredient of sand and also of quartz.
"Silicones" names a class of substances containing the element Silicon (amongst others), which are commonly used as polishes. They are sometimes a component of "Ceramic Wax".

I am no expert on composite repairs, but the conjunction of "fibreglass" or "gel-coat" with "silicone" rings alarm bells for me!
J.

I used a meguiars wax spray Ceramic and am very happy with the results. Works differently then silicones.

DC
Old January 8th 21, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, 8 January 2021 at 17:20:57 UTC, wrote:
I used a meguiars wax spray Ceramic and am very happy with the results. Works differently then silicones.

Nobody is questioning the efficacy, either on cars or on gliders.
My warning was about difficulties with subsequent repairs on fibreglass or gelcoat (as in gliders).
But I could be wrong. You may feel it's worth the risk. Or you could take the advice of your local friendly glider repairer!
J.
Old January 8th 21, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

On 1/8/21 8:06 AM, Jay Campbell wrote:

It is a silica

Not this particular product, but I use a spray on wipe off product on my
Stemme. I'm very happy with the ease of application.

Oh, and Fidel says he can repair anything no matter what has been
previously applied. I believe him. His hangar is back to back with
mine and I've seen him work.

--
Dan
5J
Old January 8th 21, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MQ
external usenet poster

On Friday, January 8, 2021 at 11:57:50 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:

It is a silica

--
Dan
5J

Dan

Fidel says that about silicone or anything that inhibits adhesion for a repair while holding up an imaginary angle grinder. If he is repairing your spoiler tops or a control surface it just changes to scuffing that whole surface etc. to ensure a good repair and gelcoat adhesion. If it is for your fuselage, this could and has (for him and others) turned into a bit more of a nightmare scenario with gelcoat not adhering for much larger surface area parts.

Dan's hangar is front-to-front with mine and somehow we both endure. We can all hear those angle grinders going on the ship repairs...currently that is my new ship amongst the others.

Geoff
MQ - 5C
Old January 9th 21, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Friday, January 8, 2021 at 11:27:10 AM UTC-8, MQ wrote:

It is a silica

--
Dan
5J

Dan

Fidel says that about silicone or anything that inhibits adhesion for a repair while holding up an imaginary angle grinder. If he is repairing your spoiler tops or a control surface it just changes to scuffing that whole surface etc. to ensure a good repair and gelcoat adhesion. If it is for your fuselage, this could and has (for him and others) turned into a bit more of a nightmare scenario with gelcoat not adhering for much larger surface area parts.

Dan's hangar is front-to-front with mine and somehow we both endure. We can all hear those angle grinders going on the ship repairs...currently that is my new ship amongst the others.

Geoff
MQ - 5C

I have used this product on my ASH31Mi:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gtechniq-...tion/246865152

Here is an AOPA video about ceramic coatings:

https://aopalive.aopa.org/detail/vid...ircraft-finish

This a video on how to apply it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64dZX4Ujdr8

Tom
Old January 9th 21, 06:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Friday, January 8, 2021 at 9:33:15 PM UTC-8, 2G wrote:
On Friday, January 8, 2021 at 11:27:10 AM UTC-8, MQ wrote:

It is a silica
No first-hand knowledge, but 3M makes a product for boats. In general, if 3M makes a product, it is the best of all of its competitors. No dog in that particular hunt, but as I contemplate another round of hard wax (and hard work) while we are between seasons, I'm wondering if this wouldn't be a great alternative especially as to ease of application. Anyone knowledgeable, please chime in. Here's a link to the product. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...es+for+gelcoat. Caveat: info says it is suitable for environments not sensitive to silicone and I remember hearing once that silicone can sometimes interfere with fiberglass repairs.. What say you, group?

--
Dan
5J

Dan

Geoff
MQ - 5C

I have used this product on my ASH31Mi:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gtechniq-...tion/246865152

Here is an AOPA video about ceramic coatings:

https://aopalive.aopa.org/detail/vid...ircraft-finish

This a video on how to apply it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64dZX4Ujdr8

Tom

Also, here is an article about it in AOPA magazine:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...-your-gloss-on

Ceramic coatings should not be confused with silicone-based waxes - they are two different beasts.

Tom