Lowrance AirMap 2000c update

Old June 4th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Lowrance AirMap 2000c update

There's a software update for the Lowrance AirMap 2000c dated 5/26/06 on
the Lowrance website. It fixes the E6B/wind calculation problem, among
other things.

- Steve
Old June 4th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Stephen Farris" no@spam wrote in message 6...
There's a software update for the Lowrance AirMap 2000c dated 5/26/06 on
the Lowrance website. It fixes the E6B/wind calculation problem, among
other things.

- Steve

I see that they also have a 1 gig card version with the terrain awareness functions as well as the 512 meg version. They
say the 1 gig version is out there to give more leftover space. Does anyone know how much free space is left on the 512
meg card?

Old June 5th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

When terrain is added, there is about 50 meg remaining on the 512
card.. (according to Lowrance)

I waited until the 1 gig card was avbl..

It worky very well!

Dave

Old June 7th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Stephen Farris wrote:
There's a software update for the Lowrance AirMap 2000c dated 5/26/06 on
the Lowrance website. It fixes the E6B/wind calculation problem, among
other things.

- Steve

I ran the update last night. Just for information, you don't have to
use your primary card that has the database to update the operating
software. That point may not be clear from reading the directions on
the Lowrance website.

I connected the USB to SD card reader to my computer and inserted a new
SD card. From the Lowrance website, I downloaded the new V 1.6
software. It took up about 5.1 MB on the new card, although the
directions on the website said to make sure you have 2 MB available. I
opened the 2000c, removed the current database card, inserted the new
card, then powered the unit up. It loaded the new V 1.6 software and
came up in the non-Aviation mode, in Tulsa.

I powered the unit down, replaced the SD card with the original
database card. When I powered back up, the unit was running V 1.6, and
was back in aviation mode, again in Tulsa. Once it acquired, the unit
was back to displaying current location.

The whole process took a few minutes, with no surprises.

As long as I'm posting, I might as well include a PIREP. I bought the
2000c from Aircraft Spruce, price was $790 including shipping.
Lowrance was offering a trade-in for old units, so sent in my old
AirMap that has provided good service for the past 10 years. They gave
a $225 rebate after purchasing the 2000c, so my net price was $565.
Operation is similar to my old AirMap, so I was able to come up to
speed quickly. The unit also comes with a RAM mount, including a yoke
clamp for the plane and a windshield suction cup mount for the car.
Both work very well, and I didn't have to buy a single extra part.
Kudos for the well thought out mounting equipment. I think that the
mounts alone would cost an addtional $100 or so if bought separately.

There is only one negative so far. The dc power adapter (cigarette
lighter) works from 5v to 16v, or at least that is what is claimed in
the documentation. I have a 28 volt system in the plane. Interesting
that the adapter my 10 year old AirMap would work up to ~30 v or so. I
sent an inquiry to Lowrance customer support and got a legalistic
response that warranty would be void if operated outside of the stated
voltage ranges. Sometimes it seems that brand L is more comfortable
with fish finders than aviation products. It would be nice if I could
use my old adapter, but the plug at the unit is different - not a
standard that could easily be adapted. I have a dc/dc converter that
will convert 28v down to 12v. I'm going to to a bench test to plot V
out versus V in to see if the voltage regulator might work over an
extended range.

Display is fabulous, especially when upgrading from a 10 year old
monochrome display. The terrain awareness is awesome, and very useful
with a home airport in the Colorado front range (BJC - Jeffco). Street
prices are about half of comparable Garmin units - the 295 seems to be
around $1500. This isn't a slam of Garmin. I have friends with them
that are very happy. Based on experience so far, I can highly
recommend the 2000c.

Brian

Old June 7th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Display is fabulous, especially when upgrading from a 10 year old
monochrome display. The terrain awareness is awesome, and very useful
with a home airport in the Colorado front range (BJC - Jeffco). Street
prices are about half of comparable Garmin units - the 295 seems to be
around $1500. This isn't a slam of Garmin. I have friends with them
that are very happy. Based on experience so far, I can highly
recommend the 2000c.

Agree with Brian 100%. The 2000c is a fine product.

We run it on the co-pilot's yoke, with the AvMap IIIc on the pilot's yoke.
At over twice the cost of the 2000c, the AvMap is a much nicer GPS -- but
it's not *twice* the GPS the 2000c is.

In fact, other than the display size (and the incredible detail that the
AvMap can therefore display), I actually prefer using the Lowrance. It's a
more intuitive interface.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 8th 06, 10:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt

FlyWithTwo,

The dc power adapter (cigarette
lighter) works from 5v to 16v, or at least that is what is claimed in
the documentation.

Hmm. I thought they would work up to 35 V.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 24th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 20:20:01 -0500, Stephen Farris wrote:

There's a software update for the Lowrance AirMap 2000c dated 5/26/06 on
the Lowrance website. It fixes the E6B/wind calculation problem, among
other things.

- Steve

Just a heads up. The 1.6 software update (5/26/06) did nothing but crash
my unit when trying to use the terrain database. It also caused random
crashes when using various menu items (e.g. enable/disable airmap).
Updating to the newly released 1.7 release (6/23/06) cured the problems
for me. Obviously the 1.6 release has some serious bugs; regardless if you
are experiencing them or not.

I strongly recommend everyone running 1.6 consider an upgrade to the
latest 1.7 release, if you have not already done so.

Ggeneral firmware update page:
http://www.lowrance.com/software/Upgrades/upgrades.asp

The 1.7 download specific information and release notes page:
http://www.lowrance.com/software/Upg...70/Default.asp

Windows 1.7 download:
ftp://download.lowrance.com/AirMap/A...M2000C_170.exe

OS/X 1.7 download page:
ftp://download.lowrance.com/AirMap/A...0C_170.command

Linux 1.7 download page (Thanks Lowrance for making my life easier!):
ftp://download.lowrance.com/AirMap/A...M2000C_170.bin

Greg