Am I too old to fly?

Old December 13th 10, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil

Default Am I too old to fly?

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:47:39 +0000 (UTC), Edward A. Falk wrote:

In article ,
Philip Mellinger wrote:
I was thinking about taking up flying, but
not sure if I'm too old. I'm 62. Is this a bad
idea or should I go for it?

My dad soloed a helicopter for the first time at 70. A few
days ago, I watched a 75-year-old pilot a Zeppelin for the
first time. Ol' man Whitman was demonstrating air racing at
the Oshkosh airshow when he was 90.

Go for it, I say.

Back in my NSA days (70s), I learned a great deal about flying from an
88 you man who flew us from Meade to D.C. and back in the Agency's
fleet of helis. He seriosly knew his stuff and was super capable.
Never too old!

Phil
Old December 14th 10, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark IV[_3_]

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:47:39 +0000 (UTC), Edward A. Falk wrote:

My dad soloed a helicopter for the first time at 70. A few
days ago, I watched a 75-year-old pilot a Zeppelin for the
first time.

Yeah, what a memory. There we were, shoulder to shoulder my hands in
my pants, on the football field, even though it was before a baseball
game, packed in like sardines. Me, my teddy bear and soon-to-be-dead
Tiger Boy, my pussycat.

The smell of cannabis filled the air. I don't smoke, it draws out my
manic depression.

This special night was different from the Grand Funk Railroad or the
Three Dog Night or Liberace concerts I never attended there. In my
mind, I was. On the football field, where they were awaiting to play a
Braves game. In May when NFL football didn't play.

1973 National Football League season Regular season Duration September
16, 1973 - December 16, 1973

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...973_NFL_season

At one point the lights went total black-out, then suddenly the entire
room and immediate area (closet) were drenched in blue light. I began
to sing "My Room" by the Beach Boys because I sure as **** wasn't at
Fulton County Stadium on May 4th, 1973.

Nothing but blue. Next came the "smoke" of dry ice. It was like London
fog in blue. I guess, never been out of South Carolina, The
Mississippi of the East.

Yes it was "Stairway to Heaven" time. Boy was I suprised at what came
next. Tiger Boy jumped on my Philco and killed the turntable. this was
the day I decided to kill him.

Suddenly I released hundreds and hundreds of white fleas! It didn't
quite work out as planned. Except for the few that momentarilly
circled, they basically just flew away. **** me again.

But there was no disappointment. Those first few notes of "Stairway"
took us where I needed to be. Up the stairs to the cool breasts of my
Mommy.

There, in the moment listening to the most famous song in the world. I
turned and looked at my Mommy, Judy ( "Judy blue eyes"), and she
said...

"Mark, get your goddamned hands off my tits and go to sleep. You have
school in the morning. My son is a freak".
--
https://twitter.com/CorruptNutsac
http://gayincarolina.jottit.com/my_main_squeeze
Old December 14th 10, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Dec 13, 7:39*am, Philip Mellinger wrote:
I was thinking about taking up flying, but
not sure if I'm too old. I'm 62. Is this a bad
idea or should I go for it?

My advice is two fold. First, ignore the mental cases who've chosen to
'contribute' to the thread. Second, buy some hours of dual, perhaps up
to solo. If you like it, move on. If not, move out.

I don't know many 'late starters' but am pretty sure in the next half
decade or so I'll decide the complex single I fly is a little too much
airplane for me fly, so I'll move to something slower/easier, but will
likely continue flying. There are lots of airplane, like the C 172,
that are kindly to those of us who are older, but still manage to move
the earth under us at over a hundred miles an hour. You'll probably
train in one: give it a try.

Welcome to my sky! May you enjoy it as much as I do.
Old December 14th 10, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:10:23 -0500, Mark IV wrote:

But there was no disappointment. Those first few notes of "Stairway"
took us where I needed to be. Up the stairs to the cool breasts of my
Mommy.

Mark,

When we spoke, she never mentioned that. O, the memory fails with age.

Phil
Old December 14th 10, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ari Silverstein

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:24:04 -0800 (PST), a wrote:

On Dec 13, 7:39*am, Philip Mellinger Mark IV wrote:
I was thinking about taking up flying, but
not sure if I'm too old. I'm 62. Is this a bad
idea or should I go for it?

My advice is two fold. First, ignore the mental cases who've chosen to
'contribute' to the thread.

You do, of course, realize that you are responding to a Mark(ie)
troll.

Naw, you have no clue.

*LOL*
Old December 14th 10, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vaughn[_3_]

"george" wrote in message

Friend of mine is an ag pilot at 75.

Flying and learning to fly are two very different things.

The original poster shouldn't have any more problems flying, going
solo, doing the training and getting a PPL than any-one younger.

That's simply not true. People of any age can take flight training, but on
average the older you are, the longer it will take to make you a safe pilot.

That said, I encourage the OP to give it a go. When you climb into the plane,
leave your ego on the ramp. Get a good instructor, go fly, have fun, but don't
pay attention to your flight hours.

Old December 14th 10, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ari Silverstein

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:09:51 -0500, vaughn wrote:

"george" wrote in message

Friend of mine is an ag pilot at 75.

Flying and learning to fly are two very different things.

The original poster shouldn't have any more problems flying, going
solo, doing the training and getting a PPL than any-one younger.

That's simply not true. People of any age can take flight training, but on
average the older you are, the longer it will take to make you a safe pilot.

And the less flight time you will have to perfect the art.
--
A fireside chat not with Ari!
http://tr.im/holj
Old December 14th 10, 09:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 04:39:51 -0800 (PST), Mark IV forging my ID Philip
Mellinger wrote:

I was thinking about taking up flying,

Mark, no I am not.

but
not sure if I'm too old. I'm 62.

No, wrong again.

Is this a bad
idea or should I go for it?

Mark, I thought you were a licensed pilot?

---
Philip Mellinger

Don't forget the M.D. if you are going to forge posts in my name,
Mark.

Philip Mellinger, M.D.
Old December 14th 10, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Philip Mellinger writes:

I was thinking about taking up flying, but
not sure if I'm too old. I'm 62. Is this a bad
idea or should I go for it?

You're never too old. The limiting factor is health rather than age. If you
can pass the medical (and the FAA claims that practically anyone can pass the
medical), you're good to go.
Old December 14th 10, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

vaughn writes:

That's simply not true. People of any age can take flight training, but on
average the older you are, the longer it will take to make you a safe pilot.

On what do you base this assertion?