Parachute question

Old December 21st 04, 12:08 AM
Duster

Default Parachute question

I'm planning on purchasing a new or used parachute to replace mine that
does not fit the contours of my ship. My question pertains to the
accepted longevity of emergency parachutes which I've often heard is
about 20 years. Because mine is 27 years old, I was just about to toss
my Security 250 in the dump. However, I recently reread an article by
John Good on parachutes published in Soaring (March 2003) which quotes
Ted Strong (of Strong Parachutes) and a colleague as saying, "...there
is no need to impose a limited service life on an emergency parachute."
What's the consensus by others in the sport? Should I try to sell it
or trash it?

Duster

Old December 21st 04, 12:19 AM
Eric Greenwell

Duster wrote:
I'm planning on purchasing a new or used parachute to replace mine that
does not fit the contours of my ship. My question pertains to the
accepted longevity of emergency parachutes which I've often heard is
about 20 years. Because mine is 27 years old, I was just about to toss
my Security 250 in the dump. However, I recently reread an article by
John Good on parachutes published in Soaring (March 2003) which quotes
Ted Strong (of Strong Parachutes) and a colleague as saying, "...there
is no need to impose a limited service life on an emergency parachute."
What's the consensus by others in the sport? Should I try to sell it
or trash it?

I suggest you contact Security for their recommendation, since that is
what a likely buyer will do and go by. At one time, there were some AD's
on Security chutes, also a factor in your choice.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old December 21st 04, 12:24 AM
BTIZ

what does your rigger say.. is it still serviceable? you do get it checked
and repacked on a regular basis.. right?

If he checks it and it's still good, and its an Emergency chute.. and you
don't like how it fits..
offer it up eBay..

BT

Old December 21st 04, 01:02 AM
Mark James Boyd

I'll tell ya, I've considered just taking a
riggers course to avoid $150/year. Theres places in AZ and
here in CA where the courses are under $1000, I think.
It'd pay for itself in 7 years, just packing your own chute!

--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old December 21st 04, 02:22 AM
Eric Greenwell

Mark James Boyd wrote:

I'll tell ya, I've considered just taking a
riggers course to avoid $150/year. Theres places in AZ and
here in CA where the courses are under $1000, I think.
It'd pay for itself in 7 years, just packing your own chute!

Doesn't seem like very good pay to me, and I don't want to fly with a
parachute packed by a guy that does it 2 or 3 times year! And the same
guy that can forget to take the tail dolly off, too.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old December 21st 04, 03:26 AM

Mark James Boyd wrote:
I'll tell ya, I've considered just taking a
riggers course to avoid $150/year. Theres places in AZ and
here in CA where the courses are under $1000, I think.
It'd pay for itself in 7 years, just packing your own chute!

You are getting ripped off at $150. The going rate here is $50. At that
rate it would take 20 years to break even - forever if you factor any
reasonable interest rate.

Tom

Old December 21st 04, 04:08 AM
JC

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:19:55 -0800, Eric Greenwell
wrote:

Duster wrote:
I'm planning on purchasing a new or used parachute to replace mine that
does not fit the contours of my ship. My question pertains to the
accepted longevity of emergency parachutes which I've often heard is
about 20 years. Because mine is 27 years old, I was just about to toss
my Security 250 in the dump. However, I recently reread an article by
John Good on parachutes published in Soaring (March 2003) which quotes
Ted Strong (of Strong Parachutes) and a colleague as saying, "...there
is no need to impose a limited service life on an emergency parachute."
What's the consensus by others in the sport? Should I try to sell it
or trash it?

I suggest you contact Security for their recommendation, since that is
what a likely buyer will do and go by. At one time, there were some AD's
on Security chutes, also a factor in your choice.

You would have a hard time contacting Security. They no longer do
business in the United States.

I went through this same situation this past summer when I sold a
Security 350. What my master rigger said, was long as it passes
inspection it is OK to use. He said the 20 year service life was
promoted by the manufactures, mostly to sell new chutes. If it has
been well maintained there is no reason it is not still good. I know
of one rigger who will still pack the old silk army chutes.

Some of the Security chutes had bad "vent" material. The material was
treated with a fire retardant for use as a mosquito netting, then used
in parachutes by mistake. When your chute is repacked the fabric is
to be tested with an "acid" that will change color if the netting has
been treated with the fire retardant and it has leeched into the
adjacent fabric. At this point most all the chutes that have the bad
material have been removed from service. Most likely, I am told, if
it passes the acid test it will always pass the acid test. But not
always. I know of a chute purchased by a friend that passed the acid
test in the summer, but the following spring it failed.
Old December 21st 04, 04:23 AM
BTIZ

wrote in message
oups.com...

Mark James Boyd wrote:
I'll tell ya, I've considered just taking a
riggers course to avoid $150/year. Theres places in AZ and
here in CA where the courses are under $1000, I think.
It'd pay for itself in 7 years, just packing your own chute!

You are getting ripped off at $150. The going rate here is $50. At that
rate it would take 20 years to break even - forever if you factor any
reasonable interest rate.

Tom

Tom, do the math, if you are packing it every 120 days.. at $50 a pop..
(that's what I pay too), then let's see.. 365 days per year divided by 120
days is 3 repacks a year
3 times $50 a repack is... aaahhh... ahhh... $150 per year.. plus drive time
and cost of fuel..

which is what he said.. re read the post.. I do hope you are doing more
than one repack a year.. unless you only repack in spring, because your
soaring season is only 3 months and you don't need it again until next
year..

we fly all year.. 3 repacks a year..

BT

Old December 21st 04, 06:08 AM
Mark James Boyd

In article .com,
wrote:

Mark James Boyd wrote:
I'll tell ya, I've considered just taking a
riggers course to avoid $150/year. Theres places in AZ and
here in CA where the courses are under $1000, I think.
It'd pay for itself in 7 years, just packing your own chute!

You are getting ripped off at $150. The going rate here is $50. At that
rate it would take 20 years to break even - forever if you factor any
reasonable interest rate.

You get repacks every 4 months for $16.66 each? That's incredible!
Sign me up! We pay $50 per repack, and of course do it every
four months (as the US regs require). Just like you, right?

Mark

--

Mark J. Boyd
Old December 21st 04, 03:37 PM
John Sinclair

I'm told the 20 year rule comes from the military.
my packer tels me there is no life limit as long as
it passes inspection, which he does for $50 bucks.
JJ