Which SPOT to buy?

Old May 26th 11, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default Which SPOT to buy?

OK All,

I'm finally taking the plunge and will get a SPOT before my first
contest flight this year (this is all Paul C's fault).

But I'm curious with the 3 major SPOT options out there now, is there
a consensus which one is best? I did a quick search on past RAS posts
but didn't find anything definitive.

I have a Smartphone so the Spot Connect is an attractive option; but
it sounds like messaging costs may be a concern? I'm also relying on
_2_ battery-operated devices with this setup, which makes me a little
uncomfy.

The SPOT 2 ("GPS Messenger") looks like a well-received product but
some complain about the shorter battery-life?

The SPOT ("Personal Tracker") seems to have the best battery-life but
is the most bulky... Does it have any other drawbacks?

Thanks!

--Noel

Old May 27th 11, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]

Hi Noel,
My guess is that knowing you, you have already spent 10 hours doing
research on this decision and will come to your own conclusion based
on your own research and not based on others opinions...at least that
is what I do when it comes to most things soaring.

For what little it is worth I have a generation one SPOT and it works
flawlessly clipped to the front strap of my parachute just over the
center of my chest. It will go with me if I have to bail and it does
a good enough job seeing the sky even at a 45 degree reclined sitting
position to not lose signal. My spot traces have been reliable. If I
were purchasing new and didn't have one already I would be probably
buying the newer unit just because it is smaller and looks cool and
would get the grey unit so there is no orange canopy reflection (this
last reason is the biggest reason for going gen 2). That said, I
agree with what others have said on RAS that I would not buy a new one
to replace my current first generation. It is just good to hear you
are getting a SPOT unit - they really do have the potential for
improving safety.

Take care,
Bruno - B4
Old May 27th 11, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Noel--

I bought the Spot Connect device. I am disappointed. The use of the
thing is much too abstract and complicated. I have wasted hours
getting it set-up and I have found the instructions to be inadequate.
My confidence that it will all work when I need it is signifcantly
lower than when I was using a regular Spot unit. The messaging
concept is attractive but I think basic Spot is a better choice for
soaring.

Spot connect battery life is much shorter than even Spot 2 despite
moving back to AA size batteries. I suppose that is associated with
power draw for the bluetooth radio.

The down side to Spot 1 is the stupid switchology (you can get past
that with practice of course). Spot 2 improves the control
arrangement and the unit is smaller and has a fill-in function for
missing past transmissions. The later is a nicety that probably won't
add anything to safety though.

Part of making Spot 2 smaller was to change from AA batteries in Spot
1 to AAA batteries in Spot 2. I think that was a bad move because it
greatly reduced Spot 2 battery life compared to Spot 1.

Anybody want to buy a slightly used Spot Connect?

Steve Koerner (GW)

Old May 27th 11, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Noel,

I'm sure I'm biased because I sell SPOT-2 and SPOT Connect units. But I had
previously owned and used a SPOT-1 unit and now love my SPOT-2 unit. I
hated the buttons/user-interface on the SPOT-1. I was never certain I got
it into tracking mode. With the SPOT-2 it is very easy to get it into
tracking mode and the blinking light makes in clear that you were
successful. I also like the extra "custom" button on the SPOT-2 that I use
to send a message to friends and family that "I have landed back at the home
airport and am done flying for the day." That way my wife knows she can
stop worrying about me.

I think the lower battery life of the SPOT-2 has been exaggerated. I don't
think I changed the batteries in my SPOT-2 at all during the 15 days of
flying in the SPOT Class Nationals in Parowan last year. That seems like
very good battery life to me.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old May 27th 11, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

I flew my glider about 50 hours with my SPOT-2 last year and i think i
changed the batteries once mid season. there was a lot of time before
and after those flights where the unit was on too, not to mention a
few car and airplane trips added in there.

Old May 27th 11, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

On 5/26/2011 8:48 PM, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Noel,

I'm sure I'm biased because I sell SPOT-2 and SPOT Connect units. But I
had previously owned and used a SPOT-1 unit and now love my SPOT-2 unit.
I hated the buttons/user-interface on the SPOT-1. I was never certain I
got it into tracking mode.

If both lights are flashing simultaneously, you have got it in tracking
mode.

Old May 27th 11, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On May 26, 9:36*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
On 5/26/2011 8:48 PM, Paul Remde wrote:

Hi Noel,

I'm sure I'm biased because I sell SPOT-2 and SPOT Connect units. But I
had previously owned and used a SPOT-1 unit and now love my SPOT-2 unit..
I hated the buttons/user-interface on the SPOT-1. I was never certain I
got it into tracking mode.

If both lights are flashing simultaneously, you have got it in tracking
mode.

I think they will flash simultaneously for a while also if you are in
'OK' mode which is very confusing. The user iterface of Spot 1 is
terrible, and was much improved with Spot 2. That, and the addition of
custom message allows you to easily communicate alternate messages to
your crew during the flight, very useful for straight outs if you
change plans in the air.
The battery life is indeed shorter, however I only needed to replace
batteries twice during a a 300+ hours season. So it should be good for
the whole season for most pilots flying 100 hours or less.

Ramy
Old May 28th 11, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 5/26/2011 10:26 PM, Ramy wrote:

I think they will flash simultaneously for a while also if you are in
'OK' mode which is very confusing. The user iterface of Spot 1 is
terrible, and was much improved with Spot 2. That, and the addition of
custom message allows you to easily communicate alternate messages to
your crew during the flight, very useful for straight outs if you
change plans in the air.
The battery life is indeed shorter, however I only needed to replace
batteries twice during a a 300+ hours season. So it should be good for
the whole season for most pilots flying 100 hours or less.

My Spot 1 will go over 220 hours before it needs the batteries replaced,
so it sounds like the Spot 2 has about half the battery life.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz
Old May 28th 11, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

My opinion If I were buying now I would get the Spot 2.
Or try to find a Free Spot 1 from someone that upgraded to Spot 2.

I love the battery life of my Spot 1, but I think I would like the
reduced size and better button configuration of the Spot 2.
I don't know anyone that doesn't like their Spot 2.

Brian

Old May 28th 11, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Thanks for the advice, all!

Sounds like a Spot-2 is the way to go. If I can afford tows, I can
afford a few AAA batteries each season. :-)

--Noel

Spot deal, today only, buy service get a free Spot Tim Taylor Soaring 3 December 1st 08 10:30 PM
See SPOT run... [email protected] Soaring 11 April 30th 08 08:57 PM
SPOT D.Rizzato Restoration 0 February 5th 08 12:46 AM
SPOT D.Rizzato Piloting 0 February 5th 08 12:42 AM
SPOT D.Rizzato Owning 0 February 5th 08 12:42 AM