Off Airport Landings

Old November 2nd 05, 02:58 PM
Toks Desalu

Default Off Airport Landings

What are some of the things to consider if you are faced with the
heartpounding reality of an engine failure and an off airport
unscheduled landing? Hmmmmm? I promise you, been there and done that
more than once.

You said that you have been there and done that more than once. Why don't
you share your experiences with us, so we can learn something?

Toks Desalu
PP-ASEL
Dyin' to Soar

Old November 2nd 05, 03:55 PM
George Patterson

Kev wrote:

Now I have a question: if you're over a forest, is it still considered
better to mush into the tree tops? Or dive into the thick of it as
best you can?

The last time this came up, the best arguments I saw were to attempt a normal
landing in the treetops. Stalling the plane into the trees risks crippling or
death due to compression of the spinal column, and it requires much less
vertical force to kill you than it does horizontal force.

Of course, if your idea of a normal landing is to stall the aircraft just above
the runway, you shouldn't be doing a normal landing in the tree tops. You should
be coming in a few knots faster.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old November 2nd 05, 08:56 PM
Rob

Dale wrote:
"Rob" wrote:

Carry clothing appropriate to the terrain/geography you'll be flying
over, not just the departure point and destination.

Perhaps that should be WEAR clothing appropriate for the conditions.
What you have on is survival gear, what you carry in the plane is
camping gear.

Where practical, anyway. I'll bring a jacket in the airplane on a
flight from Phoenix to Las Vegas in August, but it's a good bet I'm not
going to wear it.

-R

Old November 2nd 05, 10:50 PM
Newps

Kev wrote:

Rarely heard tips:

Take off your headphones. If the plane stops quickly, they'll fly
forward off your head, ripping up your ears. Also, this prevents
strangulation from the cord.

Bull****. Been there, done that. You'll never feel it and it won't
hurt later.

Now I have a question: if you're over a forest, is it still considered
better to mush into the tree tops? Or dive into the thick of it as
best you can?

Fly the plane all the way to the crash. Never stall.
Old November 3rd 05, 12:19 AM
Matt Whiting

Kev wrote:

Now I have a question: if you're over a forest, is it still considered
better to mush into the tree tops? Or dive into the thick of it as
best you can?

I'd try to stall or be very close to a stall just as the wheels began to
brush the leaves.

Matt
Old November 3rd 05, 02:23 AM

Matt
How can you tell how high you are or how tall the trees are? If you are
near stall speed, it doesn't take much to cause a full stall and you
are just a passenger waiting for the impact!
Lots of trees in the western regions that exceed 150' and thats a long
way to fall on your nose!
Once your wheels make any kind of contact with the tops of trees, it
will feel like you're being sucked right down into them with a rapid
deceleration and lots of noise as things start tearing off and bending.

Old November 3rd 05, 02:27 AM

Dave
Easily falls under the "...dangerous and reckless..."

Old November 3rd 05, 02:36 AM

Toks
Fuel contamination, night, over forested area. Engine running roughly
for :10/:15 prior to quitting. Trying to find any clear area with near
total darkness, headed for an airport beacon off in the distance.
engine finally quit cold. Headed down at best glide speed, full flaps
prior to touchdown, doors popped open (C-150), aiming for midline of
trees, seat belts pulled tight (prior to shoulder harness being common
or required) and seats full back. Impacted into tree tops under control
but jerked around when left wingtip hit the top of a pine tree and
impacted directly into a big oak tree. Both of us jacknifed over the
seat belts into the panel. Both with serious head injuries but we
survived the crash. Aircraft was destroyed. No post impact fire. Took
nearly 8 hours before we were found by a USCG helicopter that had been
dispatched to look for us. One of the crew members happened to be
looking down at the crash site when my student struck three matches in
a clump and saw the matches flare up. That was my first one and the
only one resulting in injuries to anyone. Happened in 1967.

Here we go again Roger Piloting 39 April 7th 05 07:20 AM
Iowa City Airport in the News Dave S Piloting 0 April 6th 05 10:24 PM
WI airport closure Mike Spera Owning 0 March 9th 05 01:53 PM
Here's the Recompiled List of 82 Aircraft Accessible Aviation Museums! Jay Honeck Piloting 16 January 20th 04 04:02 PM