Ford Museum Pirep???

Old October 31st 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Charles Talleyrand

Default Ford Museum Pirep???

Has anyone flown to the Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village? What's
the closest airport and how did you get from airport to museum and what
hotel and so on.

-Much Thanks
-Charles Talleyrand

Old October 31st 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone flown to the Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village? What's the
closest airport and how did you get from airport to museum and what hotel
and so on.

-Much Thanks
-Charles Talleyrand

I think you'll probably need a car from any of these...

The closest GA friendly airport (16sm NE) would be Detroit City Airport.

Other airports to consider would be:
- Ann Arbor (31sm W but 90% freeway driving)
- Willow Run (22sm W 50/50 freeway/surface street)

As for a hotel in the immediate area, the Dearborn Hyatt isn't bad (has a
large mall nearby...Fairlane Town Centre) and I'd also strongly reccomend
the Dearborn Inn.

IIRC our own Jay H may have done a similar trip and used Detroit City
Airport (or at least he was considering it at one time...?)

HTH,

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ
(Former Detroiter)

Old October 31st 06, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Has anyone flown to the Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village? What's the
closest airport and how did you get from airport to museum and what hotel
and so on.

I think you'll probably need a car from any of these...
The closest GA friendly airport (16sm NE) would be Detroit City Airport.
Other airports to consider would be:
- Ann Arbor (31sm W but 90% freeway driving)
- Willow Run (22sm W 50/50 freeway/surface street)

Also consider Oakland-Troy.
Old October 31st 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

IIRC our own Jay H may have done a similar trip and used Detroit City
Airport (or at least he was considering it at one time...?)

Sadly, although we did land at Willow Run, and we met Jim Burns and
family for an evening of food and fun, we never made it to the Ford
Museum on that trip. It was scheduled for the last day of a week-long
vacation, the kids were burnt out on museums, and we didn't like the
looks of approaching weather, so we bugged out.

We're planning on hitting it next summer, hopefully.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 31st 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

My family and I flew into Willow Run. If you're on a history trip, I can
think of no better airport to fly into. With such strong connections to
Ford and Lindbergh, it's amazing to see the airport and buildings where over
43,000 people built over 8700 B-24's. Check out this link for more Willow
Run history:
http://www.michiganhistorymagazine.c...illow_run.html

We called ahead and they had a rental car waiting for us. We stayed in one
of the many hotels on the north side of DTW, which is between Willow Run and
the Ford Museum. It's an easy drive from the hotel complex east to the
Museum or west back to Willow Run.

We spent a day and 1/2 at the Museum and Greenfield Village. With the
weather getting colder, if you have limited time, do the Museum as the
activities at Greenfield Village may be limited. If you have the time,
visit both the museum and the village. The Museum is just that, a Museum of
America's and the World's technological and industrial achievements with
some outstanding collections of all modes of transportation. The Village is
a collection of historical buildings set in realistic settings with
employees in full costume acting out daily life during the early 1900's.

As we had the time and wanted to visit both exhibits, the best deal on
tickets was to purchase the membership package which allows us to re-visit
at no charge within a year of our original visit. Food onsite is extremely
expensive. Eat offsite before and afterwards and save your cash for a beer
in the beer hall as you leave Greenfield Village.

More at www.thehenryford.com

Jim

Old October 31st 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

Didn't you and Joe sneek off and climb up into the old control tower at
Willow Run?
Jim

ups.com...

Old October 31st 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Didn't you and Joe sneek off and climb up into the old control tower at
Willow Run?

Yep. It was pretty neat up there, imagining hundreds of B-24
Liberators rolling off the assembly line...

Pix he http://www.alexisparkinn.com/saturday,_6_24.htm
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 31st 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Wiz

Also, it's pretty close to KONZ, a former Naval Air Station on the
island of Grosse Ile.

Old October 31st 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
Didn't you and Joe sneek off and climb up into the old control tower at
Willow Run?

Yep. It was pretty neat up there, imagining hundreds of B-24
Liberators rolling off the assembly line...

Pix he http://www.alexisparkinn.com/saturday,_6_24.htm
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Damn shame the Yankee Air Force Museum hanger burned.

IIRC, it was the last actual WWII hanger left where the Libs were built
and/or modded.

Jay B

Old October 31st 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

Jay Beckman wrote:
Damn shame the Yankee Air Force Museum hanger burned.

Sure that wasn't supposed to be:

"Shame the Damn Yankee Air Force Museum hangar burned"?