source for clips or sleaves for Hotelier linkages

Old July 29th 19, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Bralla

Default source for clips or sleaves for Hotelier linkages

On Monday, June 15, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Al wrote:
Anyone got any good suggestions for clips for hotelier linkages.
I also understand that there is a sleave kit out there somewhere.

Thanks

Al

Sleeves? I can't help. Pins? Aircraft Spruce
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...owlingpins.php
Old July 29th 19, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 6:09:07 PM UTC-6, Steve Bralla wrote:
On Monday, June 15, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Al wrote:
Anyone got any good suggestions for clips for hotelier linkages.
I also understand that there is a sleave kit out there somewhere.

Thanks

Al

Sleeves? I can't help. Pins? Aircraft Spruce
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...owlingpins.php

Thanks for all the links, guys, but these are not the spec that is called for in this AD. The glider in question is a Bolkow Phoebus, but I believe this AD also applies to the Standard Cirrus, as well as some others (correct me if I'm wrong). It specifically states the clip must be 1.2mm diameter wire, and gives a picture of the clip going across the push rod. In this particular application, the push rod is only about 1/2" diameter, so a clip that is 1.5" long will stick out the sides too far and hang up on the surrounding structures. Here's a link to the AD:

http://www.ltb-lindner.com/phoebus-ad-sb.html

Look particularly at the PDF link "13 94_001 L`Hotellier Verschluesse.pdf (94,4 kB)".

It gives pictures and dimensions of the clip needed. It specifically mentions a specific L'Hotellier part #140-31, or equivalent Ford part number 1473 931, but neither of these part numbers come up with anything other than copies of the AD when a Google search is done. I can not find a source for these specific parts.
Old July 29th 19, 08:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 1:17:38 AM UTC-6, John Foster wrote:
[...]

More specifically, these connections are for aileron and spoiler push rods that come through holes in the wing root rib. If the clips stick out too far, they will snag on the edges of the holes in the wing root rib and cause the control surfaces to hang up and not move properly. Obviously, that would be very bad.
Old July 29th 19, 09:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Thomson[_2_]

At 07:57 29 July 2019, John Foster wrote:
On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 1:17:38 AM UTC-6, John Foster wrote:
On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 6:09:07 PM UTC-6, Steve Bralla wrote:
On Monday, June 15, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Al wrote:
Anyone got any good suggestions for clips for hotelier linkages.
I also understand that there is a sleave kit out there somewhere.
=20
Thanks
=20
[...]

(94,4 kB)". =20
=20

=
that come through holes in the wing root rib. If the clips stick out too
f=
ar, they will snag on the edges of the holes in the wing root rib and
cause=
the control surfaces to hang up and not move properly. Obviously,

that
wo=
uld be very bad.

I think that you are getting the various locking devices confused! The
AD is issued by LBA - Google LBA 193-001/3 for the current version.
There are various locking methods to choose from - safety pins, Uerling
sleeves, LS locking sleeves, Schempp-Hirth clips, Wedekind sleeves are
all mentioned in the AD.

The L'Hotellier and Ford safety pins are very small and simply go through
the connector lock plate as shown on the second page of the Lindner
document. They do not go round the push rods or stick out to foul the
holes in the root rib.

Old July 29th 19, 09:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 2:15:06 AM UTC-6, James Thomson wrote:
[...]

Exactly. These are the type of connectors on my glider, and I am looking for a source for these "very small" pins. I realize there are other newer and better connectors, and one of those options may be in my future. But for now, I need to drill holes as mandated by this AD and use these specific small pins. Where can I find them?
Old July 29th 19, 09:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Look at a RC car supplier (like, Tower Hobbies) for "body pins" used to hold a RC car body onto the chassis.
IIRC, we used to use dental floss tied onto the pin and pushrod so you didn't lose the pin.
Old July 29th 19, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

THESE
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Unique-Bargains-50pcs-R-Split-Mechanical-Hitch-Hair-Tractor-Cotter-Clip-Pin-1-6mm-x-28mm/546161908
are what I use.Â* Never run out again.

If those seem too cheap, send me $139.95, and I'll send you 6 of them. :-D

--
Dan, 5J