I'm buying your sectionals for a year.

Old November 13th 03, 11:07 PM
Toks Desalu

Nice of you.

Unless you are willing to provide it to us free for years to come, here is
my thought:

Get a group of people and have have share the cost of one subscription.
Burn copied CDs and mail them all. This could save individuals' cost as low
as 5 bucks instead of 700 bucks a year.

Toks

Old November 14th 03, 05:31 PM
Al Gerharter

Thank You Sir. Imagine, up to date safety information for free. What a
concept. If you work out something for next year, I'll pony up my share.
Al Gerharter

"Kyler Laird" wrote in message
Stu Gotts writes:

HA! Won't Boeing/Jepp love that. The industry needs the competition,
but we might hear about Kyler's brakes failing while he drives around
a slippery mountain curve one day!

Another good reason for me to stay in Indiana...

--kyler

Old November 14th 03, 06:31 PM
John

Martin Hotze wrote:

I'd suggest to split up the zip archive. It might be that you won't get the full
2 gigs at a time and have to reconnect (or use gozilla or something similar).
having 10 or so parts might help ...

I like the zip structure the way it is, but it might be nice to have them
split up, too. That way, if you just want one sectional, you don't have to
download the whole batch.

-john
Old November 14th 03, 08:31 PM
Larry Fransson

On 2003-11-14 10:31:19 -0800, John said

I like the zip structure the way it is, but it might be nice to have the
split up, too. That way, if you just want one sectional, you don't have t
download the whole batch

And as if by magic, your wish was granted before you even asked

http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/...ionals/current

Old November 14th 03, 09:03 PM
Matthew F. G.

Now, if only we could get the vector data. That could make the files a
lot smaller and make it easier to write software to process the data.
You could do things like display only airports with long runways or only
private airports, or have it not display Victor airways or MOAs --
that'd make certain aspects of it easier to read.

Matthew F. G.

Kyler Laird wrote:
Not long ago, in rec.aviation.student,
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e....com&frame=off
I learned that the FAA is now selling scanned sectional chart DVDs.
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xm...ctional_Raster

Old November 15th 03, 02:09 AM
Kyler Laird

"Matthew F. G." writes:

Now, if only we could get the vector data. That could make the files a
lot smaller and make it easier to write software to process the data.
You could do things like display only airports with long runways or only
private airports, or have it not display Victor airways or MOAs --
that'd make certain aspects of it easier to read.

Roll your own.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/old/ATA-100/

--kyler
Old November 15th 03, 04:10 AM
Robert Perkins

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:19:32 +0100, Martin Hotze
wrote:

Kyler Laird wrote:

TIFF viewers are widely available so if you just want to grab an image
and view/print it you should be all set.

I highly recommend http://www.irfanview.com/
it is a free viewer with many many options.

Thanks very much, both for the chart TIFF's, Kyler, and the software
tip, Martin.

Rob

--
[You] don't make your kids P.C.-proof by keeping them
ignorant, you do it by helping them learn how to

-- Orson Scott Card
Old November 15th 03, 09:02 AM
markm

That's really cool Kyler!

Did you ask about reproduction and distribution rights?

Just wondering what the other companies like Maptech think about this. Last
I talked to them they were scanning the sectionals but the quality was not
as good as these, course these are larger.

mark

"Kyler Laird" wrote in message
Not long ago, in rec.aviation.student,

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e....com&frame=off
I learned that the FAA is now selling scanned sectional chart DVDs.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xm...ctional_Raster

At over $300/year for each of the East and West sets, it sounded like
many potential users wouldn't get to touch them. That would be a shame.

I've wanted the data for a long time too, so I decided to get it and
make it available to everyone.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/

I'm hoping to provide a bunch of tools to manipulate these (and other)
data sets, but that'll take awhile so I'm offering the raw data for
now. I'll probably move it around later, but I'll make sure it's easy
to find.

Note that the East and West data sets only take 2.7GB, so even with
the Alaska set, a single DVD has plenty of space for all of this (and
the ATA-100 data and an operating system...). Is anyone interested
in DVDs like that? I'm thinking that I'll donate these DVDs to Purdue.
The Computer Society there makes copies of various CDs as a fund raiser
and I'd try to get them to start making DVDs of these data sets if
people would pay enough to make it worthwhile.

I'll try to get some tools going soon. I'll also be configuring to
allow other people to write their own tools on my server and access
everything remotely through XML-RPC.

Enjoy!

--kyler

Old November 15th 03, 03:09 PM
Kyler Laird

"markm" writes:

That's really cool Kyler!

I'm happy to hear you find it useful. There's a lot more data to come.

Did you ask about reproduction and distribution rights?

http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/...67%20South.htm

Acknowledgement of the Federal Aviation Administration would be
appreciated in products derived from these data. When product
developers or other customers acknowledge the Federal Aviation
Administration as the source of the data, the FAA seal or
initials cannot be used to imply that a product is endorsed,
approved, or authorized by the Federal Aviation Administration.

Does everyone agree that I've acknowledged the FAA as the source of the
data without implying that they've endorsed, approved or authorized my
distribution?

I assume that since this data collection is taxpayer-funded, the FAA
would like to see it utilized by taxpayers. Their cost of distribution
is about $600/year/customer. I can understand that; they have a lot of
overhead in order to make this all official and charge people for it.
I'm providing quite a different, _very_ unofficial product with
dramatically lower overhead - in large part because I'm willing to eat
the cost of it instead of maintaining an accounting infrastructure.

My hope is that there are people at the FAA/NACO who are thrilled to see
this data widely and freely distributed so that more people can take
advantage of it. I don't know why anyone would object.

Just wondering what the other companies like Maptech think about this. Last
I talked to them they were scanning the sectionals but the quality was not
as good as these,

They're welcome to use these images. While I'm more interested in Free
projects and individuals using this data, I don't have any qualms with
others downloading the images from me if they do something beneficial
with them.

course these are larger.

There are lots of options for making them smaller. We're all free to
experiment now.

BTW, I was quite surprised at how many people wanted this data. I've had
about 415 machines check out the data, with over half getting at least one
TIFF, and a third getting a zipped collection. I've been pushing well
over 5Mbps (my limit) continuously.

Today the demand really dropped off. There's a dialup user getting a few
of the sectionals and someone in Houston just started downloading the
entire collection. That's a lot different from having several high-speed
users download everything.

I just looked into upgrading my bandwidth plan, but I don't think it'll be
necessary. I'm only pushing 3Mbps right now. I think everyone is almost
satisfied. I'll try to keep the update process efficient so that we don't
have to go through this big push again.

--kyler

Naval Air Refueling Needs Deferred in Air Force Tanker Plan Henry J Cobb Military Aviation 47 May 22nd 04 03:36 AM
Why was the Fokker D VII A Good Plane? Matthew G. Saroff Military Aviation 111 May 4th 04 05:34 PM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
Four Winds 192 Crash into the Miami Federal Reserve Building, a year ago today Billgran Home Built 3 December 6th 03 03:22 PM
It's that time of year again. Capt. Doug Home Built 19 September 3rd 03 10:53 PM