I'm buying your sectionals for a year.

Old November 15th 03, 03:41 PM
David Whitford

This is AWESOME!
I love this! Thank you Kyler!

I have a large format printer at my office, Color too! this will be great
for Cross Countries!
thanks you again.

David

"Kyler Laird" wrote in message
Not long ago, in rec.aviation.student,

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...2fe3a472&seekm
=e1449182.0310211155.6488628%40posting.google.com& frame=off
I learned that the FAA is now selling scanned sectional chart DVDs.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xm...tal/Sectional_
Raster

At over $300/year for each of the East and West sets, it sounded like
many potential users wouldn't get to touch them. That would be a shame.

I've wanted the data for a long time too, so I decided to get it and
make it available to everyone.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/

I'm hoping to provide a bunch of tools to manipulate these (and other)
data sets, but that'll take awhile so I'm offering the raw data for
now. I'll probably move it around later, but I'll make sure it's easy
to find.

Note that the East and West data sets only take 2.7GB, so even with
the Alaska set, a single DVD has plenty of space for all of this (and
the ATA-100 data and an operating system...). Is anyone interested
in DVDs like that? I'm thinking that I'll donate these DVDs to Purdue.
The Computer Society there makes copies of various CDs as a fund raiser
and I'd try to get them to start making DVDs of these data sets if
people would pay enough to make it worthwhile.

I'll try to get some tools going soon. I'll also be configuring to
allow other people to write their own tools on my server and access
everything remotely through XML-RPC.

Enjoy!

--kyler

Old November 16th 03, 03:20 PM
David Whitford

I've wanted the data for a long time too, so I decided to get it and
make it available to everyone.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/

Hi Kyler, can you tell me the difference in the file in your directories?

Parent Directory -
20031030-East.zip 13-Nov-2003 02:39 1.5G
20031030-West.zip 13-Nov-2003 02:41 1.2G
20031030/ 13-Nov-2003 02:05 -
current-East.zip 13-Nov-2003 02:39 1.5G
current-West.zip 13-Nov-2003 02:41 1.2G
current/ 13-Nov-2003 02:05 -
notes.txt 14-Nov-2003 17:39 655
sectional_regions.png 13-Nov-2003 16:36 858K

should we be downloading the current east and west or the 20031030-east and
west files??

Just curious!
Thanks again for doing this!

David

Old November 17th 03, 02:08 AM
Kyler Laird

"David Whitford" writes:

http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/

Hi Kyler, can you tell me the difference in the file in your directories?

Parent Directory -
20031030-East.zip 13-Nov-2003 02:39 1.5G
20031030-West.zip 13-Nov-2003 02:41 1.2G
20031030/ 13-Nov-2003 02:05 -
current-East.zip 13-Nov-2003 02:39 1.5G
current-West.zip 13-Nov-2003 02:41 1.2G
current/ 13-Nov-2003 02:05 -
notes.txt 14-Nov-2003 17:39 655
sectional_regions.png 13-Nov-2003 16:36 858K

There is no difference between 20031030-* and current-*
right now. The "current" stuff is just a symlink to the
current issue.

I was thinking that each issue would be completely new,
but then I realized that since new issues come out every
28 days there are probably going to be a lot of files that
are the same from one issue to another. I'm hoping to
more efficiently handle this so that I can keep more old
issues around. (That might be silly, but I hate to get
rid of data.)

Things'll change as I figure out all of this. I hope to
get it together after the next issue arrives.

--kyler
Old November 17th 03, 02:14 AM
David Whitford

Kyler,

It is incredibly awesome that you are doing this. I know I APPRECIATE it !

Thanks again!

David

Old November 17th 03, 02:19 AM
Sven

"Kyler Laird" wrote in message
There is no difference between 20031030-* and current-*
right now. The "current" stuff is just a symlink to the
current issue.

I was thinking that each issue would be completely new,
but then I realized that since new issues come out every
28 days there are probably going to be a lot of files that
are the same from one issue to another. I'm hoping to
more efficiently handle this so that I can keep more old
issues around. (That might be silly, but I hate to get
rid of data.)

Just curious why you 'need' to save old data. Recycle those ones and zeros
for some other use instead of outdated charts.

Old November 17th 03, 03:17 AM
Sven

"Kyler Laird" wrote in message
I've wanted the data for a long time too, so I decided to get it and
make it available to everyone.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/

Thanks Kyler!

Are the charts available on the DVD's only the sectionals or are TAC and WAC
(charts) available too? It would be nice if the Naco/FAA would supply all
available charts and publications in digital/downloadable form.

Old November 17th 03, 04:08 AM
R. Hubbell

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 01:08:26 GMT
Kyler Laird wrote:

Not long ago, in rec.aviation.student,
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e....com&frame=off
I learned that the FAA is now selling scanned sectional chart DVDs.
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xm...ctional_Raster

At over $300/year for each of the East and West sets, it sounded like
many potential users wouldn't get to touch them. That would be a shame.

I've wanted the data for a long time too, so I decided to get it and
make it available to everyone.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular. How will people use these?
Maintain them in digital format and view on a laptop in the plane? Print
them as needed?

Has anyone printed a hard copy? How and where and how much?

R. Hubbell

Old November 17th 03, 11:07 AM
Filip Zawadiak

"Sven" wrote in message news:U4Xtb.216797$HS4.1890863@attbi_s01...
"Kyler Laird" wrote in message
I've wanted the data for a long time too, so I decided to get it and
make it available to everyone.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/

Thanks Kyler!

Are the charts available on the DVD's only the sectionals or are TAC and WAC
(charts) available too? It would be nice if the Naco/FAA would supply all
available charts and publications in digital/downloadable form.

Hmm. I just wonder, why they say these are SCANNED charts? They are
not prepared in digital form before printing?

Just wondering...
--
Filip Zawadiak http://vyx.net
PP-ASEL
Old November 17th 03, 12:50 PM
Ekim

Kyler, you rock!!! This is awsome. Thanks a million!

Now, who wants to buy my fuel for a year? ;-)

Ekim
Old November 17th 03, 09:08 PM
Kyler Laird

"Sven" writes:

I was thinking that each issue would be completely new,
but then I realized that since new issues come out every
28 days there are probably going to be a lot of files that
are the same from one issue to another. I'm hoping to
more efficiently handle this so that I can keep more old
issues around. (That might be silly, but I hate to get
rid of data.)

Just curious why you 'need' to save old data.

I don't "need" to save it. I thought there might be some use for it
though.

I'd like to try, for example, doing diffs of sectionals. That way
we can quickly spot changes. I'd use something like that for my area.
It's easy to become complacent about "home".

I've seen others ask for historic sectionals. I wouldn't mind storing
one of each per year just for research purposes.

--kyler

Naval Air Refueling Needs Deferred in Air Force Tanker Plan Henry J Cobb Military Aviation 47 May 22nd 04 03:36 AM
Why was the Fokker D VII A Good Plane? Matthew G. Saroff Military Aviation 111 May 4th 04 05:34 PM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
Four Winds 192 Crash into the Miami Federal Reserve Building, a year ago today Billgran Home Built 3 December 6th 03 03:22 PM
It's that time of year again. Capt. Doug Home Built 19 September 3rd 03 10:53 PM