Where can I watch planes? (Northern NJ)

Old November 18th 03, 03:06 AM
TeleTechnician

Default Where can I watch planes? (Northern NJ)

Greetings.

I am not a pilot, though some day I would like to start lessons.
I live near TEB and CDW. I have two toddlers who love airplanes.

At CDW, I have been able to find a place not on airport grounds where we
can spot the planes taking off and landing. However, TEB is closer. At
TEB, I was told by a guard that there is no place on airport property that
I can go, that it's against the law. The only place I have received
permission to watch is a bit far away, and the view is not that great.

Does anybody know of a decent place where I can go with the children to
watch planes? I like to take my scanner so that I can follow along with
the action.

Unfortunately, things have changed so much from when I was a kid. I used
to be able to go to PHL and watch planes without a hassle...

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old November 19th 03, 11:14 AM
Steve

TeleTechnician wrote:
Greetings.

I am not a pilot, though some day I would like to start lessons.
I live near TEB and CDW. I have two toddlers who love airplanes.

At CDW, I have been able to find a place not on airport grounds where we
can spot the planes taking off and landing. However, TEB is closer. At
TEB, I was told by a guard that there is no place on airport property that
I can go, that it's against the law. The only place I have received
permission to watch is a bit far away, and the view is not that great.

Does anybody know of a decent place where I can go with the children to
watch planes? I like to take my scanner so that I can follow along with
the action.

Unfortunately, things have changed so much from when I was a kid. I used
to be able to go to PHL and watch planes without a hassle...

Thanks in advance for any input.

Can't help you as I'm in France - but you do know *why* things have
changed, of course. I learned to fly in Florida and have followed the
post-9/11 changes in US general aviation with a sense of dismay. The
response seems to be a gross over-reaction to an almost paranoid level.
After all, that kid in Florida proved that if you fly a Cessna into a
skyscraper, the plane bounces off and the building goes 'huh?'.

Old November 20th 03, 04:05 AM
Micbloo

However, TEB is closer. At
TEB, I was told by a guard that there is no place on airport property that
I can go, that it's against the law. The only place I have received
permission to watch is a bit far away, and the view is not that great

Havent been there in years but you used to be able to park on the east side
of the
airport on the road to the control tower (off the main road, Rt1/9?) and watch
take-offs and landings there. And it's behind the fence not on airport
property. Of course they might be busting balls for loitering a little more in
our post 9/11 world.
I live 20 minutes or less from Republic here on Long Island and there area
numerous
vantage points to watch ALL types of aircraft from corporate jets, general
aviation,helicopters and even warbirds. They have a nice area to park and
watch by the tower but there are many other places to watch depending on what
runways they are using. And no hassling either.
Old November 20th 03, 05:37 PM
Jim Buckridge

TeleTechnician wrote in message

Try Somerset Airport (SMQ) in Bedminster. It's very kid friendly,
lots of families just to watch. In the warmer & nicer weather its
nice just to sit over on the side under the trees and watch the
gliders getting towed up.

Sounds like it's a haul for you though.
Old November 20th 03, 08:10 PM
Thomas Ploch

Does anybody know of a decent place where I can go with the children to
watch planes? I like to take my scanner so that I can follow along with
the action.

One of the best places, if the wind is blowing from the South or
Southwest is at Lincoln Park Airport. If you pass the airport heading
west, there is an area with picnic tables right along side the
threshold. Also, you can sit on the porch at the Restaurant at the
Airport.
Old November 20th 03, 09:00 PM
Anonymous

TeleTechnician ) wrote:

I am not a pilot, though some day I would like to start lessons.
I live near TEB and CDW. I have two toddlers who love airplanes.

Apologies if it was mentioned elsewhere in this thread (as I have not gone
through all the posts) but Lincoln Park Airport, located in Lincoln Park,
NJ (425 Beaverbrook Road, Lincoln Park, NJ 07035) has a restaurant right
alongside the runway.

If the weather is warm enough, you can sit at a table on their porch, sip a
coffee or soda and watch all kinds of smaller aircraft work the pattern.
They even carry the Unicom freq. over a PA system on the porch.

--
Peter

Old November 21st 03, 04:09 AM
Shlomo Zelkine

TeleTechnician

What Micbloo wrote is correct.
There is a flight school there too, so ask to go inside and watch the
simulator
and so on.
I fly with the Civil Air Patrol and our plane is parked there. Many
times
we see families standing there in the parking area and watch us just
over the
fence.... while we do the pre-flight checks and as we start to taxi.
You see the take offs and landings too...

Shlomo.

(Micbloo) Havent been there in years but you used