Canadian pilot posts ILLEGAL flight into US on OLC

Old July 25th 19, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Canadian pilot posts ILLEGAL flight into US on OLC

I have had Salt Lake Center offer flight following; Edmonton Center sometimes offers as well. I assume the US side keeps a close eye on me, even when I'm not being "flight followed".

The flight plan covers the entire flight. I keep my flight plan vague, that's the reality of gliding.

My concern with ATC is their workload. Don't make them worry about you, tell them when you are heading back to Canada. If there was a half-dozen experienced pilots doing the same flight, I think ATC would accept it. By contrast, if you have 6 canadian gliders transiting the descent airways into Calgary, that quickly becomes untenable.

Cruising along the eastern slopes north of Helena is not going to be conflicting with a lot of jet traffic descending into big airports. I'm not going to drop behind a mountain and disappear off radar because I'm effectively flying on the prairies. If the wave dies, I have a 50+ kt tailwind out of the SW, easily giving me glide to Canada. If I don't have glide to Canada, the engine comes out over an airport. If the engine fails, let ATC know and accept that I might have to explain this weird hobby to a judge.

The further south the flight goes, the risk of not making it home goes up. Wave terrain continues way south of Jackson Hole, but at some point (around Helena, in my estimation) it makes sense to land, clear Customs, and continue on with less potential legal consequences.

Chester

I'm pleased your flight was legal. I'm not likely to try a cross-border flight,
but now I can fantasize about it more knowledgeably.

Did USA ATC have you use "flight following"? Did you have to have a flight plan
for the entire flight, or just the US portion? And I wonder about each countries
ATC response to several gliders on the same mission the same day.

Old July 25th 19, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Just curious. Say a Canadian registered glider is trailered across the border into the USA. It takes off in the USA, turns on the transponder and flies in Class E. All good? No need to contact ATC right?
Old July 25th 19, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 3:50:42 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 9:09:55 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Awesome flight Chester! I recommend in the future to add a comment in OLC indicating the legality of the flight. We often do this when we get clearance to fly in restricted airspace, to calm down the fun police. I am waiting for Tom (2G) to say “sorry, my bad for not checking with the pilot before posting”.

Ramy

Ramy, I DID read his comments: it said nothing about obtaining a clearance to enter the US. Had he, we wouldn't be discussing it now - and he should have (I included that for a flight that passed thru Clover Control's restricted area).

BTW, what does fun have to do with following FARs, anyhow?

Tom

Tom, you are way out of line publishing your insinuation that the pilot did not follow the US law. Here is your statement "This pilot made a DEEP entry into the US w/o, apparently, following the laws of the US".
You just make our community look really bad and then you blame the pilot for not posting that he was entering legally, really?
I don't write much here, but these kinds of things really bother me. Stop pointing fingers at others, it is just not a nice thing to do.
Andrzej
Old July 25th 19, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 12:50:42 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
Ramy, I DID read his comments: it said nothing about obtaining a clearance to enter the US...

Tom, Chester doesn't owe you an explanation in the comments, he doesn't owe you ****. You're the one who failed to research the topic, didn't ask the pilot in question, jumped to a conclusion, and posted an incorrect assertion under an incendiary headline.

--Bob K.
Old July 25th 19, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 4:13:04 PM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 12:50:42 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 9:09:55 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Awesome flight Chester! I recommend in the future to add a comment in OLC indicating the legality of the flight. We often do this when we get clearance to fly in restricted airspace, to calm down the fun police. I am waiting for Tom (2G) to say “sorry, my bad for not checking with the pilot before posting”.

Ramy

Ramy, I DID read his comments: it said nothing about obtaining a clearance to enter the US. Had he, we wouldn't be discussing it now - and he should have (I included that for a flight that passed thru Clover Control's restricted area).

BTW, what does fun have to do with following FARs, anyhow?

Tom

Yep, I didn't expect you will admit your post was wrong, especially the subject saying "ILLEGAL". But Chester is much more forgiving than I am, and it was good to discuss the procedures for flying across the borders legally, so I'll rest my case.

Ramy

Yes, Chester showed us how to behave on RAS.
Old July 25th 19, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 5:42:14 PM UTC-4, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
...failed to research the topic, didn't ask the pilot in question, jumped
to a conclusion, and posted an incorrect assertion under an incendiary headline.

Yep, just another day on RAS...
Old July 25th 19, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

FAR 91.707
Unless otherwise authorized by ATC, no person may operate a civil aircraft between Mexico or Canada and the United States without filing an IFR or VFR flight plan, as appropriate.

You don’t need a clearance to enter US airspace Tom. Just file a VFR flight plan. There’s no ADIZ between Canada and the US by the way..

Personally I think you’re jealous....
Old July 25th 19, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 2:58:23 PM UTC-7, Charles Longley wrote:
FAR 91.707
Unless otherwise authorized by ATC, no person may operate a civil aircraft between Mexico or Canada and the United States without filing an IFR or VFR flight plan, as appropriate.

You don’t need a clearance to enter US airspace Tom. Just file a VFR flight plan. There’s no ADIZ between Canada and the US by the way.

Personally I think you’re jealous....

LOL! Jealous? Hardly.

Based on what I read on the FAA's website, a landing at a port of entry was required, which Chester did not do. It is the FAA's website that is, apparently, wrong or inaccurate. I am awaiting a call back from my local FSDO on this issue.

Tom
Old July 25th 19, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Pretty sure they’ll find no wrong doing. Having said that. You are a total dick!
Old July 26th 19, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

wrote:
FAR 91.707
Unless otherwise authorized by ATC, no person may operate a

civil
aircraf=
t between Mexico or Canada and the United States without filing an

IFR or
V=
FR flight plan, as appropriate.
=20
You don=E2=80=99t need a clearance to enter US airspace

Tom. Just file a
=
VFR flight plan. There=E2=80=99s no ADIZ between Canada and

the US by the
w=
ay.
=20
Personally I think you=E2=80=99re jealous....

LOL! Jealous? Hardly.

Based on what I read on the FAA's website, a landing at a port of

entry
was=
required, which Chester did not do. It is the FAA's website that is,
appar=
ently, wrong or inaccurate. I am awaiting a call back from my local

FSDO
on=
this issue.

Tom

What a total dickhead -FFS what does it matter to you? - still
grieving over 1812?, some Canuck did you wrong in the past??.....
with guys like you around no wonder soaring is in decline.