Canadian pilot posts ILLEGAL flight into US on OLC

Old July 28th 19, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Canadian pilot posts ILLEGAL flight into US on OLC

Robert Duvall
Old July 28th 19, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Pompous? Moi? Mais non! I was just trying to be presidential. I guess I succeeded. Sorry, eh?? Or was it the offer of a free bandaid? We’re such showoffs with our universal health care.

I truly just st wanted a smile or two. The geography is a great bar bet down there. Unbeatable. None of this stuff matters anyway. If a Canadian glider pilot landed in the USA without permission he would live to fly another day. It’s an emergency landing in a (north) windstorm. Anyone argue with that?

But now I remember one reason I quit. The vast population of type Eh! personalities. Relax. Enjoy. It’s a fun sport. Impeachment will chill everyone out. You’ll need chilling. Your leaders deny climate change. Discuss how much better the soaring will be! Now THAT is being truly pompous. And we’ll sell you all our snow and then we’re all happy.

Bob
Old July 28th 19, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Saturday, July 27, 2019 at 12:36:36 PM UTC-7, Glidergeek wrote:
You have to be ****ing me, you mean there are glider pilots ( at least one) that have nothing better to do than scour the OLC flights and nit pick them on RAS? And what makes it worse the OP doesn’t even have enough class to admit his mistake. Shouldn’t you extend an apology tuck your tail and disappear and go polish your wings instead of pouring more avgas on the fire. If you really cared about this gentleman’s flight you should have PM’d him and kept this private then you wouldn’t be cleaning your foot in your mouth....is ****ing spelled with one T or two?

I'll just wait for the post titled "Jack-booted CBP agents seize Canadian glider for outlanding in US!" In the mean time, GET A LIFE!
Old July 28th 19, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Bralla

From some of the discussion here could I have just continued into Mexican airspace yesterday? I had 2 chances.
https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=7445891
A few years ago we had a pilot followed back to Warner Springs By the feds (don't remember who) for flying into Mexico. His data logger showed He didn't.
If you fly at Jacumba (see Soaring July 2019) the south end of the ridge is in Mexico so every ridge flight is international. Been there, done that, maybe.
I know someone who has been into Mexico legally after talking with ATC and some who have been way into Mexico not so legal. Is going into Mexico different than crossing the border north or southbound? Different with our current POTUS?
Steve
Old July 28th 19, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

Depends Steve...are you seeking asylum
Old July 28th 19, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Saturday, July 27, 2019 at 7:47:13 PM UTC-7, Steve Bralla wrote:
From some of the discussion here could I have just continued into Mexican airspace yesterday? I had 2 chances.
https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=7445891
A few years ago we had a pilot followed back to Warner Springs By the feds (don't remember who) for flying into Mexico. His data logger showed He didn't.
If you fly at Jacumba (see Soaring July 2019) the south end of the ridge is in Mexico so every ridge flight is international. Been there, done that, maybe.
I know someone who has been into Mexico legally after talking with ATC and some who have been way into Mexico not so legal. Is going into Mexico different than crossing the border north or southbound? Different with our current POTUS?
Steve

I believe the same US aviation laws apply to Mexico as Canada (at least I haven't seen any that are country specific). If anything, the southern border is MUCH more monitored than the northern, as that is where the bulk of the smuggling is happening. There is virtually no soaring done in Mexico, however. Here are the requirements for legally flying across the border:
https://www.aopa.org/travel/international-travel/mexico
http://azpilots.org/images/events/We...s-feb-2016.pdf

Old July 28th 19, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Southern border rules are totally different than Canadian border.
Old July 28th 19, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

It'll be a while before Chester gets good enough to reach Mexican airspace.

Then he can tell us how to do it legally.
Old July 28th 19, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tom makes at least one good point. Fortunately, he was not able to find evidence that these overflights are illegal. I figured if CBP and ATC have no objection, I should be good to go. It's nice to put the FAA on that list as well.

There is a difference between illegal and ill advised. CBP would not be amused, they can certainly lay down huge fines, and who knows - maybe they can seize the glider. I prepare so hopefully a landout never happens, and if it does happen, I can make a better case that this was a serious emergency.. I'd be in the claws of the CBP and the legal system, and that doesn't sound like much fun, but still better than being dead.

To borrow Tom's phrase, soaring is a sport of skating on thin ice. We aren't flying around in a 182 going for a $100 hamburger! When I see the wave stretching south to the Grand Tetons, I have to limit my soaring risks to minimize the legal risks. The only responsible way to carry the adventure further south is to land, clear customs, and fly on.

In conclusion, (cu's will be popping soon) we have largely unexplored wave-generating terrain from south of the Grand Tetons to just south of the arctic circle. That's 1300 miles! Banff is close, Calgary is close - hook the glider up behind the minivan and bring the whole family for vacation.

Chester