**Attention** FS2004 Water Effects Slider is backwards

Old August 7th 03, 01:07 AM
Worrybird

Default **Attention** FS2004 Water Effects Slider is backwards

The FS2004 Water Effects Slider works backwards.

Wait until you see what it is supposed to look like, its really an
astounding effect!

To get the effect: Options - Settings - Display

Max out the Terrain detail: land & water (all the way to the right)
Water effects: None (all the way to the left)

Go flying and bring your bathing suit.

Old August 7th 03, 06:15 AM
Jay Beckman

"Worrybird" wrote in message
.net...
The FS2004 Water Effects Slider works backwards.

Wait until you see what it is supposed to look like, its really an
astounding effect!

To get the effect: Options - Settings - Display

Max out the Terrain detail: land & water (all the way to the right)
Water effects: None (all the way to the left)

Go flying and bring your bathing suit.

Yup...

Worrybird is right on the money...

Took off from KSAN headed west and the ocean was the right color, it had
ripples and it even showed a slight darkening from near shore to off shore
shelf...cool!!

Now about those bridges...

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ

Old August 7th 03, 03:49 PM
pr

Worrybird ) wrote:

The FS2004 Water Effects Slider works backwards.

Wait until you see what it is supposed to look like, its really an
astounding effect!

To get the effect: Options - Settings - Display

Max out the Terrain detail: land & water (all the way to the right)
Water effects: None (all the way to the left)

Go flying and bring your bathing suit.

Now, how that one slipped by the beta testing phase I want to know...

--
Peter

Old August 7th 03, 04:34 PM
Al Denelsbeck

pr wrote in
ds.com:

Now, how that one slipped by the beta testing phase I want to know...

Ah, you should know by now Microsoft does beta-testing with the end
consumer... ;-)

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to separate G and I in the domain
Old August 7th 03, 06:13 PM
pr

Katy ) wrote:

It's not backwards, let me explain again:

I have a feeling you are going to be doing this a lot over the next few
months.

at the highest setting the
water effect needs DX8 compliant video hardware to turn on the
bump-mapping effect, creating a sort of 3-D waves on the water
surface...

Hmmm.. I am pretty sure I am running DX8-complient video hardware, what
with a Radeon 8700 Pro card on board, yet I do not see any special effects
with the slider to the right. Perhaps this does work with the right sim or
driver settings but I have not taken the time to experiment with the
unlimited display permutations.

Nice effect but requires tremendous resources, after
looking at it a while I turned it off to keep performance even, the
usual FS2002 shimmering effect of water is good enough :-)

Very good.

--
Peter

Old August 7th 03, 07:28 PM
Katy

at the highest setting the
water effect needs DX8 compliant video hardware to turn on the
bump-mapping effect, creating a sort of 3-D waves on the water
surface...

Hmmm.. I am pretty sure I am running DX8-complient video hardware, what
with a Radeon 8700 Pro card on board, yet I do not see any special effects
with the slider to the right. Perhaps this does work with the right sim or
driver settings but I have not taken the time to experiment with the
unlimited display permutations.

You should see it then, if not something is wrong indeed but with the
settings :-) It is better seen low over the water at dawn or dusk with
reflections turned on, you can then catch the waves on the surface...

---
Best
Katy Pluta

FS2004 FAQ at http://www.simflight.com/news5/modules.php?name=FAQ
Old August 7th 03, 09:25 PM
Barry Ward

I cannot understand how you could ever get higher FPS in full screen mode
than in windowed mode-- because it is in fullscreen mode that AntiAliasing
is used. AA generally affects FPS and hence full screen mode gives lower
FPS.

Just as a test, turn off AA and see how the FPS stack up in both modes. Of
course, to compare FPS in the 2 modes , the desktop screen resolution must
be set to the same res that is set in the Sim for full screen mode.

Barry

"Anders Lassen" wrote in message
k...
Right...

Let me just contribute to the general confusion about this:

I couldn't see any reflections in the water the first couple of days I

used
FS04 - no matter how I set the sliders. Then I scanned a local (danish)
newsgroup.

One guy wrote, that in order to really see the water reflections, you had

go to "international settings" and change it from "Danish" to "English
(US)".

This sounded as the most far out thing I had ever heard - but I tried it -
and it worked! Now I have really cool reflections and it really doesn't
affect framerate much!

Only thing that really confuses me now is that I used to get the best
fraerates in fullscreen mode. Now, I get rates of 20-25 fps in Windows
mode - but only 10-15 fps in fullscreen. (resolution: 1280x1024 in both
views.

Any good explanations here?

Anders
Denmark

System:
AMD 1200
512 Mb
Nividia Ti4200 128 MB

.net...

Old August 7th 03, 10:31 PM
Katy

Let me just contribute to the general confusion about this:

I couldn't see any reflections in the water the first couple of days I used
FS04 - no matter how I set the sliders. Then I scanned a local (danish)
newsgroup.

One guy wrote, that in order to really see the water reflections, you had to
go to "international settings" and change it from "Danish" to "English
(US)".

This sounded as the most far out thing I had ever heard - but I tried it -
and it worked! Now I have really cool reflections and it really doesn't
affect framerate much!

Only thing that really confuses me now is that I used to get the best
fraerates in fullscreen mode. Now, I get rates of 20-25 fps in Windows
mode - but only 10-15 fps in fullscreen. (resolution: 1280x1024 in both
views.

Thanks for that Anders, as to why it happens I can't help, can you
please let me know about your video card and drivers so I am sure to
have an example when reporting it?

---

Old August 8th 03, 11:40 AM
Eddie

[...]