Experience with GoPro Smart Remote?

Old March 24th 19, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts

Default Experience with GoPro Smart Remote?

Who has some experience using the GoPro Smart Remote from a glider cockpit?

If I could count on it to start a camera on the tail or wingtip, it would be a time saver for me.

Now, if I video an aerobatic flight I'll start any external cameras before getting in the glider. So, I end up with a lot of wasted footage before flying. Then I have to sync multiple cameras started at various times.

The GoPro Smart Remote can start up to 50(!) cameras at the same time. Even if not the same nanosecond, synching will be much easier.

The Remote has an advertised range of 600' "under optimal conditions."

At $72 I'd rather not buy it if it's useless, but that's not too much to spend to simplify the workflow if it's useful.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Here's a two-camera glider aerobatic video that's less than two minutes long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDPDHhpRDs4

Terry
Old March 24th 19, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Sunday, March 24, 2019 at 7:55:34 AM UTC-7, Terry Pitts wrote:
[...]

Try try the GOPRO app on your android or iphone first. You can test the range and also see if your GOPRO is pointed correctly. The App is Free.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old March 24th 19, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave White[_2_]

I have been experimenting with my first gen smart remote (no settings button) and Hero 5 Black. I use the iPhone app to aim the camera and the remote to turn on, record, and turn off. This has all been on the ground but hope to finish the annual and start flying soon. At 20 feet the remote works 90% of the time on first button press and always on second button press. At thirty feet it can take three button presses. I made a wrist band from a Velcro Cable keeper so the remote is handy and not a distraction. I thought about buying the new remote but didn’t think I would ever change camera setting once airborne. Ive seen claims that the new one has more range but can’t confirm. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Old March 25th 19, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt McBee

Does the camera wifi have to be enabled to use either the remote or the app? Because I've found that GoPro wifi makes the already short battery life much shorter.

Matt
Old March 25th 19, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Sunday, March 24, 2019 at 8:12:00 PM UTC-6, Matt McBee wrote:
Does the camera wifi have to be enabled to use either the remote or the app? Because I've found that GoPro wifi makes the already short battery life much shorter.

Matt

Yes. The connection to smart phone is via WiFi and the GoPro needs to be paired and have WiFi turned on.
Old March 29th 19, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave White[_2_]

http://re-fuel.com/batteries-for-gop...pro-hero6.html
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xu3icxNSrCA&t=340s
Old March 29th 19, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Friday, March 29, 2019 at 11:07:54 AM UTC-7, Dave White wrote:
http://re-fuel.com/batteries-for-gop...pro-hero6.html
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xu3icxNSrCA&t=340s

I have found that the GOPRO 3, GOPRO 7 shuts down because of heat when recording at high resolution video not the battery. 1080p 240/200 Wide 1920x1080 16:9 About 30 minutes sitting on the desk. Google it and you will find much more about this problem. It will have to be cooled by wind etc. probably won't get much time in a glider cockpit.

Richard
www.craggyaero.

Best settings for GoPro Hero4 Stephen Michalik[_2_] Soaring 7 May 24th 15 11:30 AM
GoPro camera editing and stiching of files. joesimmers[_2_] Soaring 14 August 2nd 13 01:23 AM
Inside Cockpit Mounting of GoPro cameras ? Jim[_30_] Soaring 11 January 9th 13 07:08 PM
GPS Smart antenna's Chris Soaring 4 July 13th 04 07:18 AM
SMART-1 Mission robert arndt Military Aviation 0 September 28th 03 05:05 AM