A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Electric sustainer registration in US

Old March 24th 19, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete Wizz
external usenet poster

Default Electric sustainer registration in US

Hi There,

I have an certified glider registered in US, glider has been send to Europe for a little tuning recently. Part of this is an electric front sustainer which according to Europe regulations should be certified too but is not during to local bureaucracy. I am not sure if the glider should stay there for a year to give them a chance and finishing the job as planned or pack it up in to shipping container and get back to US. My question is how complex could be to register this 'powered' glider as experimental.
Any help very welcome, thanks in advance.

Pete
Old March 25th 19, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Experimental for what? Racing? Exibition? Research & Development?

Are there other examples of similar experimental category gliders flying with that modification in the USA? The FAA may well blanche at trying to move a type certified glider to racing/exhibition because somebody started to make modifications on the aircraft not convered by a TC or STC.

If there was a research and development project here that might be different, if that is what you are after I would find a DAR to get involved in this project.

Either way a knowledgeable DAR used to dealing with the local FSDO may be worth talking to. Yes I know this is supposed to be getting more centralized....
Old March 25th 19, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom (TK)
external usenet poster

Refer to your FAA issued operating limitations. It should read:

"The cognizant FSDO must be notified, and its response received in writing, priorto flying this aircraft after incorporation of a major change as defined by 14 CFR § 21.93 inorder to determine whether new operating limitations will be required. The FSDO responseshould be entered in the aircraft's records and a copy sent the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch,AFS-750, P.O. Box 25504, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73125 for recording in the aircraft’s permanent records"

All rise for the reading of the word....

§ 21.93 Classification of changes in type design.
(a) In addition to changes in type design specified in paragraph (b) of this section, changes in type design are classified as minor and major. A “minor change” is one that has no appreciable effect on the weight, balance, structural strength, reliability, operational characteristics, or other characteristics affecting the airworthiness of the product. All other changes are “major changes” (except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section).

(b) For the purpose of complying with Part 36 of this chapter, and except as provided in paragraphs (b)(2), (b)(3), and (b)(4) of this section, any voluntary change in the type design of an aircraft that may increase the noise levels of that aircraft is an “acoustical change” (in addition to being a minor or major change as classified in paragraph (a) of this section) for the following aircraft:

(1) Transport category large airplanes.

(2) Jet (Turbojet powered) airplanes (regardless of category). For airplanes to which this paragraph applies, “acoustical changes” do not include changes in type design that are limited to one of the following -

(i) Gear down flight with one or more retractable landing gear down during the entire flight, or

(ii) Spare engine and nacelle carriage external to the skin of the airplane (and return of the pylon or other external mount), or

(iii) Time-limited engine and/or nacelle changes, where the change in type design specifies that the airplane may not be operated for a period of more than 90 days unless compliance with the applicable acoustical change provisions of Part 36 of this chapter is shown for that change in type design.

(3)Propeller driven commuter category and small airplanes in the primary, normal, utility, acrobatic, transport, and restricted categories, except for airplanes that a

(i) Designated for “agricultural aircraft operations” (as defined in § 137.3 of this chapter, effective January 1, 1966) to which § 36.1583 of this chapter does not apply, or

(ii) Designated for dispensing fire fighting materials to which § 36.1583 of this chapter does not apply, or

(iii) U.S. registered, and that had flight time prior to January 1, 1955 or

(iv) Land configured aircraft reconfigured with floats or skis. This reconfiguration does not permit further exception from the requirements of this section upon any acoustical change not enumerated in § 21.93(b).

(4)Helicopters except:

(i) Those helicopters that are designated exclusively:

(A) For “agricultural aircraft operations”, as defined in § 137.3 of this chapter, as effective on January 1, 1966;

(B) For dispensing fire fighting materials; or

(C) For carrying external loads, as defined in § 133.1(b) of this chapter, as effective on December 20, 1976.

(ii) Those helicopters modified by installation or removal of external equipment. For purposes of this paragraph, “external equipment” means any instrument, mechanism, part, apparatus, appurtenance, or accessory that is attached to, or extends from, the helicopter exterior but is not used nor is intended to be used in operating or controlling a helicopter in flight and is not part of an airframe or engine. An “acoustical change” does not include:

(A) Addition or removal of external equipment;

(B) Changes in the airframe made to accommodate the addition or removal of external equipment, to provide for an external load attaching means, to facilitate the use of external equipment or external loads, or to facilitate the safe operation of the helicopter with external equipment mounted to, or external loads carried by, the helicopter;

(C) Reconfiguration of the helicopter by the addition or removal of floats and skis;

(D) Flight with one or more doors and/or windows removed or in an open position; or

(E) Any changes in the operational limitations placed on the helicopter as a consequence of the addition or removal of external equipment, floats, and skis, or flight operations with doors and/or windows removed or in an open position.

(5) Tiltrotors.

(c) For purposes of complying with part 34 of this chapter, any voluntary change in the type design of the airplane or engine which may increase fuel venting or exhaust emissions is an “emissions change.”

Hope this helps
Old March 25th 19, 09:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

There won’t be any experimental operating limitations that apply... this aircraft is not registered as experimental. The question being asked is can it be as it is?
Old March 25th 19, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, March 24, 2019 at 3:50:51 PM UTC-4, Pete Wizz wrote:
Hi There,

I have an certified glider registered in US, glider has been send to Europe for a little tuning recently. Part of this is an electric front sustainer which according to Europe regulations should be certified too but is not during to local bureaucracy. I am not sure if the glider should stay there for a year to give them a chance and finishing the job as planned or pack it up in to shipping container and get back to US. My question is how complex could be to register this 'powered' glider as experimental.
Any help very welcome, thanks in advance.

Pete

This is a good case for moving to experimental, given significant change to the ship. An experienced DAR can help accomplish this and issue the new airworthiness certificate, with operating limitations.
It will require completion of phase 1 flight testing to demonstrate that it operates as intended, usually about 5 hours in a specified area. Upon completion of testing, a statement is made that it is controllable in all phases of flight, and possibly some other requirements specified by the DAR. Then it goes to phase 2 normal operation in Experimental, Exhibition, and Air Racing.
It will be very helpful to find a DAR that has done this before. Do not expect your local FSDO to know how to do this.
Been there - Done that.
Good luck
UH
Old March 26th 19, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete Wizz
external usenet poster

Thank you All for your answers, this gave me some clue how to solve a mystery
Old March 28th 19, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, March 26, 2019 at 11:39:35 AM UTC-7, Pete Wizz wrote:
Thank you All for your answers, this gave me some clue how to solve a mystery

Pete,

My gut feeling is that adding the FES is a major modification. Just its effect on the CG alone puts it into this category. The first step is to contact your local FSDO and talk to an airframe inspector. He/she probably has the answer, but may request more information about the modification (most FAA inspectors haven't dealt with gliders before). If they want you to deal with a DAR, they will tell you that.