A different lamp base

Old December 8th 05, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Default A different lamp base

"John T" wrote in message
On a slightly differnt tack, I have a prop blade from a Beech Starship
that my company used to lease. I've been wondering what to do it it, but
I'm not sure it's stable enough to be a lamp post, and I don't think I
could get a wire through it. Any ideas?

A machinist worth his salt should be able to bore that long of a hole. As
far as stability, how about a spinner with a hole cut in the small in to
pass the prop through? A bunch of weight in it should make it stable
enough.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 8th 05, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

("John T" wrote)
On a slightly differnt tack, I have a prop blade from a Beech Starship
that my company used to lease. I've been wondering what to do it it, but
I'm not sure it's stable enough to be a lamp post, and I don't think I
could get a wire through it. Any ideas?

Pack it in a box and ship it to the Alexis Park Inn (Google it). I bet Jay
would put it up in his hotel with your name on it.

It was sure nice seeing the Starship at Oshkosh this year.

Montblack

Old December 8th 05, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Oh, we have the tooling to cut a long hole, called a gun drill. You see,
the problem is that lubrication for the drill comes out of the tip of
the drill, under high pressure. So whaddya think happens when the drill
breaks out of the end?

John

Old December 8th 05, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

"John T" wrote in message
Oh, we have the tooling to cut a long hole, called a gun drill. You see,
the problem is that lubrication for the drill comes out of the tip of
the drill, under high pressure. So whaddya think happens when the drill
breaks out of the end?

Uh, it goes all over h*ll and back? What'd'I win? g

Really, what is the problem with that?

I would also think that you could mark the depth on the drill, so it does
not quite break through. Drill the rest without lube, or finish from the
other side, or cut a small length off the end. You will need to have a
small flat part on the end of the prop to mount the lamp fixture on, anyway.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 8th 05, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

John T wrote:
Oh, we have the tooling to cut a long hole, called a gun drill. You see,
the problem is that lubrication for the drill comes out of the tip of
the drill, under high pressure. So whaddya think happens when the drill
breaks out of the end?

About the same thing it does when you're drilling a gun barrel. Unless maybe
you're making muzzle-loaders?

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old December 9th 05, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Lets just say I don't wanna clean up the oil thats sprays out for 20-30
feet if the drill breaks through.

Seriously though, I don't think it'll be possible to drill this prop
blade in a straight line.

Now if I could could get other prop blades, and a hub, that would make a
BIG coffee table

John