Bill Gates assists in funding first aviation-themed public high school

Old February 16th 04, 03:25 AM
Teacherjh

If there's any obstacle out there preventing ANYONE from doing precisely
what Bill Gates has accomplished, providing THE WORLD with a PC-based
operating system THAT WORKS better than anything else out there (you
wanna' challenge the consumer usage numbers?), state what that obstacle
is NOW

Standards.

This isn't a computer newsgroup, so I'll stop at pointing out:

1: Several OSs work better than Windows. Windows is just sort-of adequate.
Adequate is good enough for Americans.
2: Consumer "acceptance" has squat to do with quality. It has to do with
marketing and compatitiblity.

Why are they still making VOR airways? Why are they still using NDB
approaches? Why can I file GPS direct but always get rounted from here to
Kingdom Come? By now we should be free of airways and such... but we're not.

Why? Well, several reasons, but one big one is standards. The new stuff HAS
TO work with the existing system. You can invent any newfangled thing you
want, but it will never get adopted in this airspace if it can't coexist.

That's why Mac can read Windows disks. But like VORs, Windows doesn't have to
read Mac disks.

Jose

Old February 16th 04, 01:41 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

It is interesting how, once you decide that someone is evil, that it is
possible to attribute an evil motive to every single thing that person

does.
"C J Campbell" wrote in message

Absolutely.... Gotta say, Gates and his wife (wow) have contributed more to
charities than I've seen most of our CEO's do in this country.... His only
'sin' has been to take an operating system that was not even on the 'map'
and turn it into one of the most popular O/S's,,, Seems everyone forgets
that Microsoft was once a struggling underdog (remember Windows 3.0,,,,,,
Yeech....). For some reason America loves an underdog, but when that
underdog finally succeeds, they can't wait to watch them fall/fail...
Kinda sick, IMHO.

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures complete with pictures and text at:
www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old February 16th 04, 04:13 PM
John Harlow

Billy is redeeming himself in my eyes after foisting his insecure OS
(and Outlook) on us:

He may win over a couple of pilots with this move, but his insistence of
offshoring jobs to India is not making him any friends with American
software developers.

Old February 16th 04, 04:35 PM
G.R. Patterson III

John Harlow wrote:

Billy is redeeming himself in my eyes after foisting his insecure OS
(and Outlook) on us:

He may win over a couple of pilots with this move, but his insistence of
offshoring jobs to India is not making him any friends with American
software developers.

Well, all you guys have been bitchin' for years about how lousy a job those
developers have been doing. Maybe the Indians can do better.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.
Old February 16th 04, 04:43 PM
John Harlow

Well, all you guys have been bitchin' for years about how lousy a job
those developers have been doing. Maybe the Indians can do better.

I've never bitched about Microsoft until now.

What exactly is it you do for a living, George?

Old February 16th 04, 05:02 PM
G.R. Patterson III

John Harlow wrote:

Well, all you guys have been bitchin' for years about how lousy a job
those developers have been doing. Maybe the Indians can do better.

I've never bitched about Microsoft until now.

What exactly is it you do for a living, George?

I'm a systems engineer. Unemployed.

Old February 16th 04, 05:24 PM
John Harlow

Well, all you guys have been bitchin' for years about how lousy a
job those developers have been doing. Maybe the Indians can do
better.

I've never bitched about Microsoft until now.

What exactly is it you do for a living, George?

I'm a systems engineer. Unemployed.

I'm sorry to hear that, if it is not by choice.

Hopefully it's not because an Indian is now doing your job "better than
you", at 10% of your old salary.

Old February 16th 04, 07:45 PM
G.R. Patterson III

John Harlow wrote:

Hopefully it's not because an Indian is now doing your job "better than
you", at 10% of your old salary.

Nope. Fallout from the dotcom callapse.

Old February 22nd 04, 12:37 AM
CriticalMass

Andrew Gideon wrote:

Anyway, even if you were correct in your assertion that MSFT achieved its
monopoly through reasonable and legal means, that does nothing about the
assertion that they've abused said monopoly.

Or does this distinction still escape you?

It does.

By what means did MS achieve "its monopoly"? Maybe, by making software
everyone chose to use? H'mmmm. Maybe, we're on to something here.

The argument that "no one had any other choice", which you and others
apparently try to make, is intellectually vacant, given that there were
never any market forces preventing potential competitors from entering
the fray and providing competing OSes.

C'mon. Where does this bashing "the ones that make it" ever end? Gates
built a better mousetrap. Get over it. You don't want to use it?
That's fine with me. Load up Linux or something equally as goofy, and
see what software apps there are out there you can run. It's your
choice, big guy. Just don't try to argue that MS is junk simply because
it's the biggest dog on the block. That's not a defensible position.

In my view, MS has done nothing but what any other creative company in
similar circumstances would do - innovate.