Spin

Old February 4th 04, 06:17 PM
Stefan

Shawn Curry wrote:

Good to hear he's OK. I've only been able to play the audio of this
clip and it didn't sound good.

Actually, it sounds very good: "Für den Piloten endete dieser Crash mit
ein paar Schnittwunden."

Stefan

Old February 4th 04, 06:46 PM
Shawn Curry

Stefan wrote:
Shawn Curry wrote:

Good to hear he's OK. I've only been able to play the audio of this
clip and it didn't sound good.

Actually, it sounds very good: "Für den Piloten endete dieser Crash mit
ein paar Schnittwunden."

Stefan

OooKaaay. Sorry not much help. Bit of French maybe but German? Nope.
The concerned sounding voice of a woman (?) and lots of crunching
sounds is all I could decipher. That and the word "crash"

Shawn
Old February 4th 04, 07:01 PM
Stefan

Shawn Curry wrote:

Actually, it sounds very good: "Für den Piloten endete dieser Crash
mit ein paar Schnittwunden."

OooKaaay. Sorry not much help. Bit of French maybe but German? Nope.
The concerned sounding voice of a woman (?) and lots of crunching
sounds is all I could decipher. That and the word "crash"

Ok. The woman basically says. "Oh ****! Let's go there!"

The commentator says that it was a sunday routine flight, then the cable
broke, and then the abovementioned sentence which basically means: "The
pilot suffered a couple of cuts."

Stefan

Old February 4th 04, 07:21 PM
Fredrik Thörnell

K.P. Termaat skrev den Wed, 04 Feb 2004 10:07:21 GMT:

This happened trying to land back at the field after a cable break. Very
sad
indeed.
www.fsv-unterjesingen.de/DnLoads/Seilriss.avi

What does the commentator say about 18 meter (high?) something? Or is that
a reference to the span? Or am I mishearing completely? Should have spent
less time communication with the cute girls outside the window during
German class...

Cheers,
Fred
Old February 4th 04, 09:43 PM
CV

Fredrik Thörnell wrote:
What does the commentator say about 18 meter (high?) something? Or is

He is saying that the cable broke at 80 meters height. (200 odd feet)
CV

Old February 4th 04, 10:27 PM
Bill Daniels

"CV" wrote in message
Fredrik Thörnell wrote:
What does the commentator say about 18 meter (high?) something? Or is

He is saying that the cable broke at 80 meters height. (200 odd feet)
CV

Perhaps someone familiar with the incident could explain why the pilot tried
to turn back from a height of 80 meters. I would expect that, with a wire
break at 80 meters, the pilot would have 75% or more of the airfield
straight ahead for a safe landing. In fact, a 180 degree turn from an 80
meter wire break would leave no place to land at most winch sites.

Bill Daniels

Old February 4th 04, 10:42 PM
Stefan

Bill Daniels wrote:

Perhaps someone familiar with the incident could explain why the pilot tried
to turn back from a height of 80 meters. I would expect that, with a wire
break at 80 meters, the pilot would have 75% or more of the airfield
straight ahead for a safe landing

Stress? Overtax? Panic? Blackout? It's happened before.

Stefan

Old February 5th 04, 10:03 AM
ir. K.P. Termaat

Stefan wrote in message ...
Bill Daniels wrote:

Perhaps someone familiar with the incident could explain why the pilot tried
to turn back from a height of 80 meters. I would expect that, with a wire
break at 80 meters, the pilot would have 75% or more of the airfield
straight ahead for a safe landing

Stress? Overtax? Panic? Blackout? It's happened before.

Stefan

The commentator says:

"Sunday afternoon in Magdenburg.
It was a routine start with winch, but at 80m the cable breaks.
For the pilot this crash ends with a couple of cutting wounds"

The glider is a 2-seater DG500. Probabbly with only the pilot on
board.
The commentator's voice is very professional. A story by the media for
the general public?. Not very good for our sport.
If standard rules (e.g. landing straight ahead after this low cable
break) had been performed nothing seriously would have happened. And
why did the cable break anyway (weak cable, heavy glider, to steep a
take off, to much force on the cable by the winchman and what have
you).

Karel, NL
Old February 5th 04, 11:51 AM
Jon Meyer

I haven't followed this thread, so I don't know if
anyone has already mentioned this, but It is clear
from the video that the pilot was performaing a downwind
turn in a fairly strong wind (windsock almost straight).
Why he decided to turn downwind at this height is anyone's
guess. You may also note that at the point of spin
entry the airbrakes are opened fully, I suspect that
the pilot had cracked the brakes open (again god knows
why), resulting in the wing stalling. The fact that
he opened the brakes fully upon spinning seems to suggest
his brain was switched to 'landing lever mode' if it
was switched on at all. Another reminder that eventualities
should be considered before every winch launch. This
guy was very lucky to only suffer minor injuries.

J.

I don't mean to sound 'holier than thou'. We've all
run out of ideas at some time or another and gotten
away with it by sheer luck. Its interesting to see
the chain of events that led to this guy not getting
away with it tho.

Old February 5th 04, 01:00 PM
Janos Bauer

If standard rules (e.g. landing straight ahead after this low cable
break) had been performed nothing seriously would have happened.

What are the standards altitudes for such incident? Here are the list
I learnt: 50 straight landing, 50&100 one 180 degree turn, 180 two
turns or small circle. Of course in strong wind I would increase these
values.

/Janos

SR22 Spin Recovery gwengler Piloting 9 September 24th 04 07:31 AM
Spin Training Captain Wubba Piloting 25 April 12th 04 02:11 PM
Cessna 150 Price Outlook Charles Talleyrand Owning 80 October 16th 03 02:18 PM