Sad Day

Old July 2nd 19, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard DalCanto

Default Sad Day

My condolences to their families. I was on the grid directly in front of that glider on Friday.
I'm assuming they got low and couldn't make it to a landable area. I wonder if they pushed the limits because they were counting on a sustainer? Was the engine extended? What is the L/D on the Arcus with the engine extended but not running?

Rick
Old July 2nd 19, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 3:44:13 PM UTC-4, Richard DalCanto wrote:
My condolences to their families. I was on the grid directly in front of that glider on Friday.
I'm assuming they got low and couldn't make it to a landable area. I wonder if they pushed the limits because they were counting on a sustainer? Was the engine extended? What is the L/D on the Arcus with the engine extended but not running?

Rick

One photo on above site shows engine bay appearing closed and much lower terrain in the background.
Sad accident and two well liked pilots lost.
FWIW
UH
Old July 2nd 19, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Look closer at the orientation of the tail and tailwheel. Is the ship actually inverted? The photo resolution isn't very good when you zoom in.

PA
Old July 2nd 19, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Belay that. I found a higher resolution picture and the fuselage is clearly upright. The motor is stowed.

PA
Old July 2nd 19, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

I am saddened beyond words.

Two passionate and experienced pilots gone too soon. John was a very dear friend. My deepest, heartfelt condolences to everyone who knew either of these fine men and is hurting now. Sympathies also to the participants and organizers at Nephi who I know will be taking this very hard.

Andy Blackburn
9B
Old July 3rd 19, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Wind and abrupt terrain can get together to produce nasty windshears. I was extremely lucky to survive a near 30 kt windshear on final downwind of a 50 ft ridge 250' above it. Because my recorder showed TAS and groundspeed at one second intervals,I was able to identify a vortex and downburst.

Oudies have a recovery buffer that has been used in accident analysis. Other flight computers may have similar data available for analysis.

I'm happy to share my methodology on request.
Old July 3rd 19, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 7:26:10 PM UTC-7, George Haeh wrote:
Wind and abrupt terrain can get together to produce nasty windshears. I was extremely lucky to survive a near 30 kt windshear on final downwind of a 50 ft ridge 250' above it. Because my recorder showed TAS and groundspeed at one second intervals,I was able to identify a vortex and downburst.

Oudies have a recovery buffer that has been used in accident analysis. Other flight computers may have similar data available for analysis.

I'm happy to share my methodology on request.

Fortunately on days like that you can fly final approach at 70 to 80 knots with absolutely no problem getting it down and stopped in maybe even less distance than on a dead calm day.