How to introduce kids to flying?

Old February 28th 05, 02:38 PM
GEG

Default How to introduce kids to flying?

I have a 6 year old son.
I'm only a student pilot.
However, in my youth, I thought flying was totally cool - yet
completely out of my domain. I lived in a very rural area
and we didn't have much money as a family.

I really wish I had been exposed to it earlier.
In fact, I wish I would have made a career out of it.

My wife is a little "weary" of flying, having the "nervous wife/mom"
syndrome.

I'd like to introduce aviation (not just flying) to my son
over time.

I'm wondering if anyone has resources or recommendations of how
to do this effectively without being overbearing, being realistic,
but creating true excitement.
I mean, I have some idea, but still, input and perspective from
other sources can be invaluable!

Are there books covering such methods?

Thanks to all in advance!
Old February 28th 05, 03:07 PM
Jim Burns

My son is 10. He's more interested in video games than airplanes, so I get
him the occasional flying video game and let him fly MS Flight Simulator on
my PC with the yoke. I buy him cheap electric rc planes that if they break,
they don't break my heart or my temper. These he loves and plays with
without coaxing. We also fly model rockets.

We only live 60 miles from Oshkosh, so museums have always been my secret
weapon, he loves spending the day with dad at an aviation museum, and
because we are so close, we can go any time. We've been to several others
and he's always excited and happy to go.

I'm always eager to answer his questions about anything aviation related,
but I don't force too much upon him. When I was studying for my CFI
certificate, I used him as a student and he loved it. I'd ask him questions
and then explain the answers to him. He really enjoyed it when we did it
with other pilots kids as a small mach ground school class. He still think
going to the hanger to work on the Aztec is "boring" but as he gets older
and able to do more, I hope that changes. For now, I'm not pushing him.

I've never been able to instill true excitement by myself. What I can do is
expose him to things that he finds exciting. "Dad" is just too "common", he
can see and talk to me everyday. Your son may find flying more exciting if
one of your flying friends takes him for a few flights.

Jim

Old February 28th 05, 03:16 PM
Icebound

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
My son is 10. He's more interested in video games than airplanes, so I get
him the occasional flying video game and let him fly MS Flight Simulator
on
my PC with the yoke. I buy him cheap electric rc planes that if they
break,
they don't break my heart or my temper. These he loves and plays with
without coaxing.

.... I also like the idea of encouraging his mechanical/technical aptitude by
helping him *build* the models from a kit. To start, simple rubber-powered
models that won't leave your backyard or an isolated corner of your favorite
park. Or even static models.

Old February 28th 05, 03:49 PM
Michelle P

do not push it. If they show an interest then show them more. You could
start with something that most of us have in our houses, the TV. The
Military channel still has some good aviation programs. I agree models
are a good place to start. Good for building other skills as well.
patience, technical skills and accomplishment. Let him do the easy
stuff. HELP him with the harder stuff do not do it for him. Museums are
a good place to start as well. Once again if they show an interest show
them more.
For the first flight should it get that far keep it short. Take off fly
low let them see the ground. Stay in the air more more than 30 minutes.
Smooth easy maneuvers.
Have fun,
Michelle

Old February 28th 05, 06:11 PM
Montblack

("Jim Burns" wrote)
My son is 10. He's more interested in video games than airplanes, so I get
him the occasional flying video game and let him fly MS Flight Simulator
on
my PC with the yoke.

This past year, video game sales out-grossed movie ticket sales for the
first time ever. (I don't think DVD sales were included. If they were, then
Hollywood has an even bigger problem on their hands!)

People are also spending entertainment dollars on Cable TV and high-speed
Internet connections instead of going to the movies.

I would have said video games are the future, but they're already here - in
a big, big way. Wow! (Spoken like a clueless 45 year old who couldn't name
the Top 10 selling video games if he tried)

Heck, other than Tomb Raider ...that's all I've got without hitting Google.
Wait. Madden Football. Grand Theft Auto. There's 3.

Montblack
(Pong was 30 years ago. Guess I haven't kept up past Donkey Kong)

Old February 28th 05, 07:12 PM
Jim Burns

Just this morning I had to tell my son that I wanted him to make a list of
things he liked to do OTHER than play video games, and that each day I was
going to make sure he did one or two of those things FIRST. It's getting
out of hand. He gets up at 5:30am to play video games before school, then
he takes a game boy to school so he can play there, he walks to my mom's
house after school and plays video games until we pick him up. When we get
home he plays them on the computer. I want him to find other things that he
likes before I have to unplug the games. Thankgod spring is coming so he
can play outside more. This summer he gets to help pick rocks on the
farm... bet they don't make a video game about that!
Jim

Old February 28th 05, 08:44 PM
jsmith

Join a local EAA chapter.
Many have flyouts for breakfast/lunch/dinner/local flyins.
Pilots who both own and rent usually have empty seats.
Ask around who is going and who has a seat(s) available.
The chapter I am a member of has a standing flyout for lunch the third
Saturday of each month, weather permitting. We have a signup page on our
website. Some signup in advance, others just show up at the appointed time.
We have taken as many as twelve airplanes and 22 people on some of our
excursions. It gets real interesting at the small towered airports with
a restaurant. So many airplanes arriving at the same time can overwhelm
the normally laid back tower controller.

Old February 28th 05, 10:19 PM
Morgans

"Jim Burns"

--

IMHO, the key of getting him interested in working on stuff, is look at
what he is doing that he really likes, then see if something related to it,

Once he starts using the tools, if he has the aptitude, he will want to
start fixing "everything."
--
Jim in NC

Old February 28th 05, 10:45 PM
Blueskies

http://www.allaboardtoys.com/Jay_Jay...+the+jet+plane

Jay Jay the Jet Plane.

Get involved with the local school and promote aviation, get his friends excited about it also. Every time you hear a
plane, look up (automatic, eh?)

Model rockets are pretty cool, make good noise and happen quickly. Keeps the attention.

Don't push, let him figure out that this is really the coolest thing there is...

Old February 28th 05, 11:05 PM
Alan

I apologize in advance, but I can't help myself. The Ed Norton
approach:

"Hellooooo, flying!"