Oil weight question and cold weather

Old November 5th 05, 12:57 AM
A Lieberman

Default Oil weight question and cold weather

I run aeroshell 15W50 in my lycoming 360 AK4 engine.

I am planning a trip to Ohio the second week of November where the weather
forecast is for upper 40s low 50's during the day and 30's at night. I
plan to say a week.

Do I need to adjust my oil accordingly, like get an oil change with a
different viscosity b4 departing?

Thanx in advance.

Allen
Old November 5th 05, 02:45 AM
Jon Kraus

Allen,

We are right next door in Indiana and run Areoshell 15W50 all year long.
If it's working for ya why change!! The 40's and 50's ain't ****... You
California boys can't handle a little cool weather huh? :-) See ya!!

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

Old November 5th 05, 02:51 AM
A Lieberman

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 02:45:47 GMT, Jon Kraus wrote:

Allen,

We are right next door in Indiana and run Areoshell 15W50 all year long.
If it's working for ya why change!! The 40's and 50's ain't ****... You
California boys can't handle a little cool weather huh? :-) See ya!!

Yo Jon,

Gotten soft since moving down to MS. Anything below 60, and I am now
breaking out a jacket! Hell, in Ohio where I used to live, used to sweat
like a stuck pig.

Thanks for your tip, won't change what works. Just was a lil worried my
engine would be wimpy at 34F without a warmup.

Allen
Old November 5th 05, 04:18 AM
Jay Honeck

Thanks for your tip, won't change what works. Just was a lil worried my
engine would be wimpy at 34F without a warmup.

Your oil won't matter at 34 -- but you might want to pre-heat your engine
before starting it.

We plug 'er in when it gets consistently below 40 F.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 5th 05, 04:31 AM
George Patterson

A Lieberman wrote:

Do I need to adjust my oil accordingly, like get an oil change with a
different viscosity b4 departing?

No.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old November 5th 05, 12:55 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
newsoWaf.513037$x96.142214@attbi_s72...
Thanks for your tip, won't change what works. Just was a lil worried my
engine would be wimpy at 34F without a warmup.

Your oil won't matter at 34 -- but you might want to pre-heat your engine
before starting it.

We plug 'er in when it gets consistently below 40 F.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Do you leave it plugged in 24/7? The preheat system I have (Reiff hotpad)
recommends against leaving my airplane plugged in 24/7 because of rust
concerns...

KB

Old November 5th 05, 02:06 PM
Jay Honeck

Do you leave it plugged in 24/7? The preheat system I have (Reiff hotpad)
recommends against leaving my airplane plugged in 24/7 because of rust
concerns...

It depends.

If we are on our normal flying schedule (every couple of days), yeah, we
just leave it plugged in.

If it looks like we might not fly for a few weeks, we don't.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 5th 05, 05:14 PM

Here in South Central Alberta, Canada, we fly our training
airplanes until the temp gets to -25 degrees C (-7 F). We use Aeroshell
15W50 exclusively. If the airplane is away on a cross country, and ends
up outside overnight, we'll probably preheat it if the temp was below
-10C (14F). Starting must be done carefully, as it's easy to kill the
battery, flood the engine, or get the initial revs too high. That oil
is a little stiff and doesn't pump readily when too cold, so keep the
RPM to 1000 or less until things warm up. We find it's best to have an
insulated cowl cover, and a car warmer stuck up into the cooling oulet;
it warms the engine, battery, everything.
40 and 50 F is NOT cold. Some of us, especially the younger
guys, don't even put a jacket on for that.

Dan

Old November 7th 05, 05:52 PM
Peter R.

Jay Honeck wrote:

Do you leave it plugged in 24/7? The preheat system I have (Reiff hotpad)
recommends against leaving my airplane plugged in 24/7 because of rust
concerns...

It depends.

If we are on our normal flying schedule (every couple of days), yeah, we
just leave it plugged in.

If it looks like we might not fly for a few weeks, we don't.

I also leave my Tanis heater plugged in since I fly every two to three
days.

Additionally, after shutdown I also pull the dipstick of my IO-520 out a
few inches and wrap a cotton cloth around it, covering the oil hole with
the cloth. The cloth catches the condensation that rises up through as the
engine cools.

If the outside temperature drops below 25 degrees F or so, I also wrap the
cowling and prop with an insulated cover.

--
Peter

Old November 7th 05, 06:19 PM
Newps

Peter R. wrote:

Additionally, after shutdown I also pull the dipstick of my IO-520 out a
few inches and wrap a cotton cloth around it, covering the oil hole with
the cloth. The cloth catches the condensation that rises up through as the
engine cools.

Why would you want to catch the condensation and then keep it trapped at
the top of your engine? How about don't open the dipstick and let the
air circulate out of the engine normally thru the breather? This way
any water will drip on the floor.