A different lamp base

Old December 5th 05, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Default A different lamp base

Had to replace the cast iron/steel/whatever cylinder (Piper part 65319)
on my cherokee a couple years ago because of a crack (which later was
an AD, but my A&P caught it early). The shop presented it to me with
the comment "it'll make a *great* lamp base!".

Well, not for me. I don't think any of my tables would hold the
weight! But if anyone would like it (for lamp or scrap, I don't
think it can be repaired) let me know, and it's your's for
shipping (as cheap as I can find it) and a pint of Ben & Jerry's
Chocolate Fudge ice cream.

Why now? Because I'm cleaning out the basement--lousy weather in
Colorado.

Old December 5th 05, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

I've often thought that a cylinder w/head would make an awesome lamp. I'm
waiting for my ag flying buddys to get back from the convention in Reno to
ask them to save the next one they have to pull off one of their round
engines. I figure that I'd make a floorlamp out of it.

Jim

Old December 5th 05, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Jim
Then get a bent prop to attach and you have an unusual floor lamp. Have
seen them used for lamps and ashtrays...
ol ag pilot

Old December 5th 05, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
I've often thought that a cylinder w/head would make an awesome lamp. I'm
waiting for my ag flying buddys to get back from the convention in Reno to
ask them to save the next one they have to pull off one of their round
engines. I figure that I'd make a floorlamp out of it.

Jim

Jim, et al...

You've seen these folks haven't ya?:

http://www.motoart.com/html/slideshows.htm

Pretty cool stuf.

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old December 7th 05, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

I visited a company once that had a P&W radial engine as its conference
table. Basically the engine was facing upward on feet, with a round glass
top over it (the prop shaft stuck up in the center of the table). The
chairs were aluminum B-52 seats. You had to be very careful pulling up to
the table, because you could really knock your shins on the rocker arm
covers. Ask me how I know.

Old December 7th 05, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
.. .
I dunno about a lamp, but the one I thrashed in Wyoming makes a hell of a
nice outdoor planter.

You ought to say it's nice.... for how much it costs, as use for a planter,
right? gdr!

Do you have posies growing through the hole in the case? ;-))
--
Jim in NC

Old December 7th 05, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

"Morgans" wrote in message

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
.. .
I dunno about a lamp, but the one I thrashed in Wyoming makes a hell of a
nice outdoor planter.

You ought to say it's nice.... for how much it costs, as use for a
planter,
right? gdr!

Do you have posies growing through the hole in the case? ;-))

Ought to be a hole big enough to pass a piston through upside down. Built
in drain holes in the bottom through the valve guides and spark plug holes.

Jim

Old December 7th 05, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

I had a 470 cylinder that I cracked sitting around here that I wanted
made into a lamp. My wife finally found a guy at a craft fair here.
They were from Greybull, WY. Turned out really cool.

Old December 7th 05, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

On a slightly differnt tack, I have a prop blade from a Beech Starship
that my company used to lease. I've been wondering what to do it it, but
I'm not sure it's stable enough to be a lamp post, and I don't think I
could get a wire through it. Any ideas?

John