Info regarding Super Decathlon

Old August 30th 04, 08:08 PM
Markus Feyerabend

Default Info regarding Super Decathlon

Hello,

Iīm about to start taking aerobatic lessons in a Super Decathlon and would
like to hear any advice regarding the doīs and dontīs and how the Decathlon
flies in general. Donīt get me wrong, Iīm not a smartass trying to know more
than my FI, but the comment she made about the roll rate of the Deathlon
(~300° sec) made me wonder...

My flying background is mostly gliding but also nearly 1000 takeoffs
(250hrs) in SEP planes (DR400 and Aviat Husky). I fly glider aerobatics in
my Swift S-1 since four years now (unlimited level since this year) and
compete quite successfully in competitions so far.

Looking forward to your input/feedback/advice.

Regards,
Markus Feyerabend
Germany

Old August 31st 04, 12:20 AM
Jay Smith

Markus Feyerabend wrote:
Iīm about to start taking aerobatic lessons in a Super Decathlon and would
like to hear any advice regarding the doīs and dontīs and how the Decathlon
flies in general. Donīt get me wrong, Iīm not a smartass trying to know more
than my FI, but the comment she made about the roll rate of the Deathlon
(~300° sec) made me wonder...
My flying background is mostly gliding but also nearly 1000 takeoffs
(250hrs) in SEP planes (DR400 and Aviat Husky). I fly glider aerobatics in
my Swift S-1 since four years now (unlimited level since this year) and
compete quite successfully in competitions so far.
Looking forward to your input/feedback/advice.

Try contacting this individual. He is the best Decathlon pilot I know.

Aerobatics
Bill Bruns
6839 - 54th Street
Kenosha, WI 53144
262/657-8052
262/657-8053 (Fax)
414/630-5051 (mobile)

Old September 1st 04, 02:33 PM
Viperdoc

I have flown with Bill many hours as well, and second the opinion that he is
the best Decathlon pilot around. He helped me get started in acro flying in
his Decathlon and helped me find mine, which I flew for over 300 hours
before buying an Extra. (A Decathlon roll rate is definitely NOT 300 degrees
a second) It is still a great airplane.

Simply put, he is the best instructor that I have ever had the privilege of
flying with in any airplane.

Good luck.

Old September 1st 04, 11:31 PM
Rick Macklem

"Markus Feyerabend" wrote in message .. .
Hello,

Iīm about to start taking aerobatic lessons in a Super Decathlon and would
like to hear any advice regarding the doīs and dontīs and how the Decathlon
flies in general. Donīt get me wrong, Iīm not a smartass trying to know more
than my FI, but the comment she made about the roll rate of the Deathlon
(~300° sec) made me wonder...

Aircraft Spruce and Specialty sells copies of the Decathlon manual. It covers
the approved maneuvers with recommended entry speeds. (If the one you're going
to fly doesn't have spades, get working out in the weight room before flying
rolls in it:-)

Have fun, rick
ps: I hate to say it, but my main recollection about the Decathlon is its
lack of ventilation on hot days. It is probably the best basic aerobatic
trainer there is, but...
Old September 1st 04, 11:37 PM
john smith

Rick Macklem wrote:
Have fun, rick
ps: I hate to say it, but my main recollection about the Decathlon is its
lack of ventilation on hot days. It is probably the best basic aerobatic
trainer there is, but...

Take the door off or remove the window.

Old September 2nd 04, 08:14 PM
Markus Feyerabend

Thanks, Iīll try and contact Bill for some advice!

Regards,
Markus

Viperdoc schrieb in Nachricht

Old September 2nd 04, 08:18 PM
Markus Feyerabend

Rick Macklem schrieb in Nachricht ...

Aircraft Spruce and Specialty sells copies of the Decathlon manual. It

covers
the approved maneuvers with recommended entry speeds. (If the one you're

going
to fly doesn't have spades, get working out in the weight room before

flying
rolls in it:-)

Have fun, rick
ps: I hate to say it, but my main recollection about the Decathlon is its
lack of ventilation on hot days. It is probably the best basic

aerobatic
trainer there is, but...

Hello, the one I get to fly has spades and temperatures shouldnīt be an
issue (itīs already fall here and a good advie to always have a jacket on
hand these days...)!
I try to get opies of the appropriate pages before flying anyway!

Thanks and have fun,
Markus

Old September 3rd 04, 04:28 PM
john smith

Markus, where in Germany are you?

Old September 3rd 04, 08:22 PM
Markus Feyerabend

35mls southwest of Munich. Roughly between Munich an Garmisch.
Why?

Regards,
Markus

john smith schrieb in Nachricht ...
Markus, where in Germany are you?

Old September 3rd 04, 08:26 PM
john smith

Markus Feyerabend wrote:
35mls southwest of Munich. Roughly between Munich an Garmisch.
Why?

27 years ago I was a Praktikant (?) in Frankenthal, Roxheim Pfalz (10km
south of Worms). I was courious what the countryside was like where you
are flying. Now I know... mountainous! Sure is pretty though!