xcsoar

Old July 26th 09, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default xcsoar

just revisited this software in its current version 5.2

Have to say this software has really matured and I was most impressed
with it whilst flying with it yesterday.

I particularly liked the custom terrain and waypoint downloading when
setting it up.

Check out http://xcsoar.org

Cheers

Al

Old July 26th 09, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike

It is a very nice solution at a very reasonable price.

I use the 5.1.8 version.

There is a bug in 5.2, that the previous version, 5.1.8 does not have ,
(the task declaration bug), some have experienced with 5.2.

It should be fixed in the next release.

The team has also done much work with versions for PNA's as well.

Check it out.

Mike

perOn Jul 26, 12:46*pm, "

Old July 27th 09, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fish[_3_]

Check out the Altair glide Computer on my website.
This is the ONLY hardware designed to optimize the XCSoar experience.
http://www.swiftavionics.com.au/prod...de%20Computer/

Cheers
Mark

Old July 27th 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Check out the Altair glide Computer on my website.
This is the ONLY hardware designed to optimize the XCSoar experience.http://www.swiftavionics.com.au/prod...r%20Glide%20Co...

geee, and it only costs as much as a ClearNav... except without the
IGC certified built in- wait it doesn't even it's own GPS engine for
that matter (although for the price of another ClearNav a talking one
can be purchased to go with it.. but would still leave you needing the
logger...

Not wanting to sound derisive, but this hardware completely defeats
the purpose of X/C Soar IMNSHO, although I'm sure it works as
advertised.

-Paul H (no connections to NK/ClearNav...)
Old July 27th 09, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Jul 26, 11:46*am, "
wrote:
just revisited this software in its current version 5.2

Have to say this software has really matured and I was most impressed
with it whilst flying with it yesterday.

I particularly liked the custom terrain and waypoint downloading when
setting it up.

Check outhttp://xcsoar.org

Cheers

Al

I have been using XCSoar for a couple years now. It does everything I
need it to do. However, a couple days ago I downloaded 5.2.2 for
pretty much every platform. I unzipped the appropriate folder for the
PPC2003, but couldn't find a 'setup' or 'install' file. Fortunately
the .cab file was there, so I got it loaded. Did I just somehow
misplace the 'install' or 'setup'?
PS. Both my iPAQs have died. I purchased my 2495 brand new, used it
little, and it is Tangu Uniform. I bought a used HX 4705 from a guy
here on RAS, and it gave me two solid years of great service, before
succumbing to my endless abuse. I just checked eBay, and 3850's are
going for around $40.00 including shipping. Woot!
Old July 27th 09, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 21:07:56 -0700, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:

I have been using XCSoar for a couple years now. It does everything I
need it to do. However, a couple days ago I downloaded 5.2.2 for pretty
much every platform. I unzipped the appropriate folder for the PPC2003,
but couldn't find a 'setup' or 'install' file. Fortunately the .cab
file was there, so I got it loaded. Did I just somehow misplace the
'install' or 'setup'?

I've only used 5.2.2 and 5.2.3 in a PNA, but no, there's no installer. I
just unzip onto an SD card. Then I put the polar, TP, airspace and map
files into the XCSoarData directory, rename the executables folder and
XCSoar-PNA.exe to suit the version of Windows Mobile in my PNA, stuff the
card into the PNA and boot it.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old July 27th 09, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Leslie

On Jul 27, 8:06*am, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
[...]

I am using XCSOAR on an IPAQ 3970 with bluetooth and am utilizing a
GPS Bluetooth mouse. Seamless, easily set up, transportable ... and
inexpensive (IPAQ was 85.00 USD and GPS was 45.00 ... software of
course FREE !!!

It works flawslessly thus far. Love it!

And yes, you have to use the .cab for the new release as far as I
see. No executable was available, therefore I use the ealier
version. I really can't see buying the expensive software.
Old July 27th 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I am using 5.2.3Fb8, on a iPAQ 3850, XCSoar is loaded on a 2mb flash
card and all works great. For a GPS engine I have a Garmin map 60CS,
the 2 units get power and talk to each other via a Goddard PS-5.

I don't use the task part of the software, but for general XC flying
for me it works great.

Brad

PS...............I recently bought an iPAQ 310 and have gotten that to
work as well, only flew with it 1 time as a test and it seemed to work
fine.
Old July 27th 09, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K Smith

Brad is that the IPAQ with the built in GPS that you tried it on. I am
going to have to rent gliders until I get a good solid cash flow going
again, and would like to be able to carry a navagation assistant with me
from plane to plane. Seems like this may be the way to go.

Karl

Old July 27th 09, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Hi Karl,

Yes, the iPAQ 310 is a car navigation unit, built in GPS. I use it for
car navigation, and when I put in the SD card and reboot into windows,
I can use the soaring software.

Used/refurbished iPAQ 310 units can be gotten on eBAY for under $150.

Brad

HP310 and XCSoar Jim White[_3_] Soaring 2 January 14th 09 07:15 PM
XCSOAR Travis Beach[_2_] Soaring 3 May 24th 08 03:36 PM
XCSoar vs SoarPilot? Frank Soaring 0 December 16th 06 09:07 PM
XCSoar jorgie Soaring 2 November 2nd 04 01:05 AM
XCSoar Robert Danewid Soaring 2 February 7th 04 02:30 PM