VOR approach SMO

Old July 24th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
pgbnh

Default VOR approach SMO

OK, now I admit to being confused.

I read the chart as 'the MDA is 1120 unless equipped with dme or receiving
radar advisories so that CULVE can be indentified, in which case the MDA is
680.' The asterisk next to the 1120 is, I believe, indicating that the MDA
is 1120 unless (see the other half of the asterisk below) DME or Radar
equipped, inwhich case it is 680. With DME I do not see a requirement to
stay at 1120 to CULVE and THEN descend to 680. Rather, I believe it says I
can descend to 680 (with DME) once I pass BEVEY.

I also do not agree with the statement "You cannot descend below 1120 prior
to CULVE
even if you see the runway unless you either cancel, get a contact
approach, or a visual approach.". 91.175 clearly states that I can descend
below MDA when I have the runway environment (lightts, etc) in sight. No
restrictions on when I can begin a descent below MDA. Were there a VDP,
different situation, but no VDP on this approach.

So I stand by what I said earlier. I can be at 680 BEFORE CULVE, AND, if I
have the runway environment, I can be below 680 even earlier.

I also reserve the right to be wrong

"B" wrote in message ...
pgbnh wrote:

I think all but one of the posters have missed the fact that the MDA is
not 1120 but 680. If indeed the vis was 3 miles, then the runway should
have been in sight from the MDA of 680 feet about a mile OUTSIDE of
Culve. (Remember what you can do once you have the runway in sight????)
At which point it's not a particularly big deal to lose 500 feet to land
on the numbers. Maybe even crossing Culve at 3-400 feet agl.
"Hamish Reid" wrote in message

The MDA is 1120 unless you have DME. If you have DME then the MDA is 680
once you pass CULVE. You cannot descend below 1120 prior to CULVE even if
you see the runway unless you either cancel, get a contact approach, or a
visual approach.

Having said that, when the weather is good, folks who know the airport
descend out of 1120 on the 4 degree PAPI. But, sometimes it is 600 and 1
around there.

Old July 24th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
karl gruber[_1_]

"
The MDA is 1120 unless you have DME. If you have DME then the MDA is 680
once you pass CULVE. You cannot descend below 1120 prior to CULVE even if
you see the runway unless you either cancel, get a contact approach, or a
visual approach.

If you have DME, IFRGPS, or ATC Radar, you can descend to 680 past
BEVEY............that is simply what that chart reads.

Karl

Old July 24th 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
karl gruber[_1_]

If there were, they be full of holes, just like your explanation.

Karl

"B" wrote in message ...
Man, you are an accident looking for a place to happen. There are
buildings over 800 feet high inside your minimums-busting 6.7 miles.

karl gruber wrote:

No, the VIS is 3. It doesn't matter where the VOR is. You can be at 680
6.7 miles out. When you are 3 miles from the AIRPORT, it will be in
sight.

Karl

Old July 24th 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Doug Semler

On Jul 23, 5:43 pm, "karl gruber" wrote:
Correct. That's why there's a little * next to the 1120*.

Unless they changed the rules of footnoting on me, the only thing the
little * next to 1120 tells me is that DME is required when the tower
is closed. Presumably to identify CULVE.

Old July 24th 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
karl gruber[_1_]

I love that question!

No........I don't have an instrument rating. What does my having or not
having an instrument rating have to do with your confusion about this
approach?

Hell, MXmania could read this correctly.

Karl
"B" wrote in message ...
Do you have an instrument rating?

Help me understand how DME permits you to descent to 680 "far before
CULVE."

karl gruber wrote:

Not with DME, you'll be at 680 far before CULVE.

Karl
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Jul 23, 1:18 pm, "karl gruber" wrote:

Where are you digging up such erroneous thoughts?

With 800/3 you'll be way outside CULVE when you see the runway.

No, with 800 foot ceiling you will be at 1120 when at CULVE, making it
hard to see the runway through the clouds.

-Robert

Old July 24th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
karl gruber[_1_]

You may be "seeing" the plate.........but certainly not comprehending it.

Karl

"B" wrote in message ...
I am reading the plate. Apparently, you are not.

karl gruber wrote:

Not with DME, or do you think that a Gulfstream wouldn't have DME??

Read the plate!

Karl

"B" wrote in message

karl gruber wrote:

I see no problem with the weather 800/3 as you point out. Inside BEVEY
drive down to 680 outside CULVE, and have 3 miles to descend 505 feet.
Any jet will do that all day long.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

1120 at CULVE. 175 feet airport elevation. Difference 945 feet.
Distance from CULVE to runway 1.54 miles.

Old July 24th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

Doug Semler wrote:

On Jul 23, 5:43 pm, "karl gruber" wrote:

Correct. That's why there's a little * next to the 1120*.

Unless they changed the rules of footnoting on me, the only thing the
little * next to 1120 tells me is that DME is required when the tower
is closed. Presumably to identify CULVE.

Correct, but the note is a bit ambiguous. DME is not required when the
tower is closed unless you want to identify CULVE and use the lower MDA.
Old July 24th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Milen E. Lazarov

On 2007-07-23, karl gruber wrote:
Not with DME, you'll be at 680 far before CULVE.

Karl

If you cannot identify CULVE, you descent to 1120 after BEVEY
and wait to see the runway or go missed at the VOR.
If you can identify CULVE, you descent to 680 after BEVEY and
wait to see the runway or go missed at the VOR.
So what does really identifying CULVE do for you if you are
already down to 680 by the the time you identify it?

--

SDF Public Access UNIX System -
http://sdf.lonestar.org
Old July 24th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Doug Semler

On Jul 23, 7:28 pm, "pgbnh" wrote:
[...]

This is where my confusion is as well. The profile view of the
approach says _1120_ next to CULVE. All information I have ever read
makes that a crossing restriction (step downs and all that, the 1120
with a line below it means that 1120 is your floor). There is an *
next to that number. However, the * references a note that says DME
required if tower closed. If there was a lower crossing restriction
if DME equipped, I would have expected the footnote to reference the
lower altitude that would be allowed (and i could have sworn I have
seen this before, but of course I wouldn't be able to remember where/
if/when I saw this.

Old July 24th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

karl gruber wrote:

"

The MDA is 1120 unless you have DME. If you have DME then the MDA is 680
once you pass CULVE. You cannot descend below 1120 prior to CULVE even if
you see the runway unless you either cancel, get a contact approach, or a
visual approach.

If you have DME, IFRGPS, or ATC Radar, you can descend to 680 past
BEVEY............that is simply what that chart reads.

Karl

I can see how you could take the NACO chart that way, lacking an
understanding of what the line below 1120 means, and failing to
reference the asterik to the note "When tower closed, DME required."

If you look at the Jeppesen chart you cannot reach that erroneous
conculsion.