Sun Ship Game on Youtube - Complete

Old April 13th 15, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Sun Ship Game on Youtube - Complete

On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 4:12:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 8:15:26 PM UTC-7, Whiskey Delta wrote:
Most of us know more about George Moffat and what his life in soaring
was like after the Marfa Nationals, but what became of Gleb
Derujinsky? Other than what we know from the movie, does anyone know
what Gleb went on to do? Did he continue to soar? Is he still
flying?

WD

Hi, Gleb continued flying. He later moved to Los Angeles continuing his Commercial film career. 3 years later he moved to Durango Colorado, Open his Jewelry studio called One Of a Kind and made and designed jewelry for 20 years. He also took his Instructors test and taught Gliding at La Plata Air field. I was the wing girl way back when for my own flying lessons at days end. Gleb also became an avid Skier and went on to teach skiing. All the while still shooting stills for his personal collection which is Vast! After retiring the jewelry store off Main St. He returned to playing piano both Classical and boggie woggie and began gathering his fashion photos for a book that did not materialize before his passing in a car accident June, 9th 2011, with his wife of 42 years Wally Derujinsky. I have since picked up where Daddy left off promoting his beautiful fashion images from 1950-1968 and am currently working on his book. As an artist dad was always focused and difficult. He did however put his kids 2nd at all times. And that's ok with me. He left me many great memories and lessons I cherish. and the Sunship Game which has introduced me to many great pilots and his admirers! Best, Andrea

Hi,

Thanks for bringing this thread up to "now".
I have a "bought copy" of the Sun Ship Game, I love it as well as others that have seen it.

My family condolences to you & your family on the passing of your parents. Your father sounds like a character (in a good way).
Best to you and your remaining family.

Charlie..... my son is the "3rd generation" glider pilot in our family.....
Old April 14th 15, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Andrea, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write some information about your father and to share it with the rest of the gliding community!

Old April 20th 15, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 12:25:06 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
[...]

Be sure to find Gleb on Facebook and twitter to keep up with news as it develops.
https://twitter.com/GDerujinsky
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gleb-...0838987?ref=hl
www.glebderujinsky.com
Old September 11th 09, 02:54 AM
tienshanman tienshanman is offline
Member

Are these actors playing Moffat and Gleb or do they play themselves?
Old September 11th 09, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

They play themselves. All the characters in the movie are actual soaring
pilots and crew, etc.

--
tienshanman

Old September 11th 09, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael[_7_]

I hadn't set foot in a glider until April of this year so it was
interesting to see how things were 40 years ago. In several points in
the film, George Moffat is seen manipulating a circular device, which
I assume is some form of flight computer. What is this and what does
it do?

--Michael

Old September 11th 09, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ed Winchester[_2_]

Michael wrote:
I hadn't set foot in a glider until April of this year so it was
interesting to see how things were 40 years ago. In several points in
the film, George Moffat is seen manipulating a circular device, which
I assume is some form of flight computer. What is this and what does
it do?

--Michael

I don't have the video up right now, but it's probably an E-6B, an
aviation version of a circular slide rule. You can still buy them.
They work by adding logarithms of values to produce the same result as
multiplying the values. In the small handheld format, they provide
about 2.5 dignificant figures of accuracy, and you have to keep track of
the decimal point yourself (such as the difference between 2 minutes and
20 minutes), and therefore you have to have some idea of the magnitude
of the expected result. Since I got my start in flying in the 60s, I
can probably solve speed/time/distance problems faster that way than I
can with a calculator, even one of the fancy flight calculators.

They also solve problems like true airspeed, mach compressibility, F/C
temperature conversions, mph/kts conversions, etc. Just about any kind
of problem that might need solving for planning or executing a flight.

Ed
Old September 11th 09, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Bamberg

On Sep 11, 2:20*pm, Ed Winchester wrote:
Michael wrote:
[...]

Actually no, it's not an e-6b. I have one of the circular glide
computers from that era, set up for a 301 Libelle. There are several
versions but the one I have has a side to place a sectional chart (or
portion of one) and a spiral set of lines to show glide distance into
a headwind. You twist the correct line over your current location and
I think it indicates the correct altitude for final glide, or some
combination thereof.

If someone is really interested I can post pictures on my website. m
l b ( at ) m i k e b a m b e r g . c o m (remove the spaces, replace
the at) drop me a line and I'll go through the effort.

Mike
Old September 11th 09, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Sep 11, 1:56*pm, Michael wrote:
I hadn't set foot in a glider until April of this year so it was
interesting to see how things were 40 years ago. *In several points in
the film, George Moffat is seen manipulating a circular device, which
I assume is some form of flight computer. *What is this and what does
it do?

--Michael

Yup, a flight compuiter and it didn't need batteries and was readable
even in the brightest sunlight!

Used to compute speed to fly and final glide altitude before those
transistor things came along. Not quite as configurable as the
modern silicon wonders. Changing to a glider with a different polar
required making, or buying, a new "prayer wheel".

I expect mine is still in a box somewhere with the cameras and the
photo books. I got a refund on the barograph before I got stuck with
that.

Andy

Old April 15th 15, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

George Moffat wrote a very interesting book titled, "Winning II" with interesting details of making this this movie.

Tom Knauff

Hello Game Lovers, Welcome to the money game world ss Soaring 0 May 17th 09 02:02 PM
OLC and YouTube Paul Cordell Soaring 0 January 4th 08 07:59 PM
For Sale, King Avionics, Complete ship set removed from P210 Al G[_1_] Aviation Marketplace 0 February 26th 07 10:38 PM
The Sun Ship Game and the 1969 US Nationals Jon Clarke Soaring 2 April 17th 06 03:02 AM
Sun Ship Game Video [email protected] Soaring 1 February 18th 05 06:18 PM