Seeking head rest for ASW-20C - or a cheap chiropracter : )

Old August 19th 19, 09:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Seeking head rest for ASW-20C - or a cheap chiropracter : )

Hmmm .... every case of whiplash I treated over the years followed a vehicle rear end impact where the recipient occupant's head went back then whiplashed forward. Of course they were all relatively minor injuries since all cars have head restraints nowadays that absorb some of the energy and also limit the initial backwards extension of the neck.

If you want to protect your neck in a glider front end impact you would need something like an F1 style HANS device - although in a typical glider serious accident there is little point given the likely state of the rest of your body.
Old August 19th 19, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 4:42:44 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hmmm .... every case of whiplash I treated over the years followed a
vehicle rear end impact where the recipient occupant's head went
back then whiplashed forward....

Right, injury would be more common in a car from a rear-end hit,
in a glider the headrest is to prevent injury on the rebound.
Or so it was explained to me...
Old August 19th 19, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

There was a lot of concern at Moriarty during the recent 1-26 contest.Â*
Many pilots of glass and carbon ships were worried about being rear
ended by a 1-26 rapidly overtaking them.

--
Dan, 5J
Old August 20th 19, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks for the information everyone!
Old August 20th 19, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 10:47:26 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
There was a lot of concern at Moriarty during the recent 1-26 contest.Â*
Many pilots of glass and carbon ships were worried about being rear
ended by a 1-26 rapidly overtaking them.

…While sitting on the runway, waiting for a tow, as the 1-26s practiced their relights.
Old September 3rd 19, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In a hard crash with a flattish impact (e.g., recovering from a dive or spin but still sinking vertically), the pilot's head can snap back hard, which can cause considerable injury if not prevented by a headrest. One can argue that such a crash might not be survivable anyway but that's not the point..

I know of at least one fatal accident where this was a factor. Since I fly my ASW 24 without the factory backrest/headrest, I added a hard (i.e., not "bouncy") foam pad to address this problem.

Chip Bearden
Old September 3rd 19, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hey Chip, can you provide some details on the foam you added? I’m tall and also fly without the seat back. I’d like to see what you did. Thanks!

John
Old September 7th 19, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 6:32:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hey Chip, can you provide some details on the foam you added? I’m tall and also fly without the seat back. I’d like to see what you did. Thanks!

John

I used very firm closed-cell polyurethane foam, the black stuff. Not ideal; it would still rebound although much less than the softer, springy foams. Memory foam would be great but it gets hard when cold without body temperature to keep it warm (unlike foam under the butt or in the lumbar area). There are some impact-absorbing packaging foams for electronic goods that I want to try this winter to see if I can get something better.

Chip Bearden