Ungrateful Americans Unworthy of the French

Old October 11th 03, 10:43 AM
Skysurfer

Alan Minyard nous disait :

What rubbish. The Europeans were still absolute monarchies at the
time.

France ? A monarchy ?
UK ? An absolute monarchy ?????

"That was Alan joke of the day".
Old October 11th 03, 07:11 PM
Alan Minyard

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 11:43:56 +0200, Skysurfer wrote:

Alan Minyard nous disait :

What rubbish. The Europeans were still absolute monarchies at the
time.

France ? A monarchy ?
UK ? An absolute monarchy ?????

"That was Alan joke of the day".

Yes, France was a monarchy at the time of the American Revolution, and
while the UK had a Parliament, at the time it was essentially an
absolute monarchy.

Al Minyard
Old October 11th 03, 07:44 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Alan Minyard
writes
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 11:43:56 +0200, Skysurfer wrote:
France ? A monarchy ?
UK ? An absolute monarchy ?????

"That was Alan joke of the day".

Yes, France was a monarchy at the time of the American Revolution, and
while the UK had a Parliament, at the time it was essentially an
absolute monarchy.

No, by then we'd publicly decapitated two kings who thought that their
rule was absolute: the lesson had sunk in by then.

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill

Old October 11th 03, 10:13 PM
phil hunt

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 19:44:17 +0100, Paul J. Adam wrote:
In message , Alan Minyard
writes
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 11:43:56 +0200, Skysurfer wrote:
France ? A monarchy ?
UK ? An absolute monarchy ?????

"That was Alan joke of the day".

Yes, France was a monarchy at the time of the American Revolution, and
while the UK had a Parliament, at the time it was essentially an
absolute monarchy.

No, by then we'd publicly decapitated two kings who thought that their
rule was absolute: the lesson had sunk in by then.

Two? Who was the other one?

(My real email address would be if you added 275
to it and reversed the last two letters).

Old October 11th 03, 11:29 PM
Raymond

Germany 2, France 0, enough said.

???

R.

Old October 12th 03, 04:15 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , phil hunt
writes
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 19:44:17 +0100, Paul J. Adam news@jrwlync
h.demon.co.uk wrote:
In message , Alan Minyard
writes
Yes, France was a monarchy at the time of the American Revolution, and
while the UK had a Parliament, at the time it was essentially an
absolute monarchy.

No, by then we'd publicly decapitated two kings who thought that their
rule was absolute: the lesson had sunk in by then.

Two? Who was the other one?

My mistake. Charles I thought he was an absolute monarch, and lost his
head over the issue; James II also got deposed and replaced, but was
able to flee the country rather than be executed.

Old October 13th 03, 12:25 AM
Alan Minyard

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 19:44:17 +0100, "Paul J. Adam"
wrote:

In message , Alan Minyard
writes
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 11:43:56 +0200, Skysurfer wrote:
France ? A monarchy ?
UK ? An absolute monarchy ?????

"That was Alan joke of the day".

Yes, France was a monarchy at the time of the American Revolution, and
while the UK had a Parliament, at the time it was essentially an
absolute monarchy.

No, by then we'd publicly decapitated two kings who thought that their
rule was absolute: the lesson had sunk in by then.

That is a good way to make the point :-)

Al Minyard