Even Less Gloom?

Old June 25th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Default Even Less Gloom?

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Found a group of like minded hotel entrepreneurs who can " support" local
politicians to get some government welfare for all of you

The thought of sucking from the gummint teat sickens me, quite
frankly. I'd rather close.

No, we'll just keep on being the best damned hotel in the market.
None of their stupid gummint welfare can change the fact that most
hotels just plain suck at customer service -- and THAT is our big
edge.

Not only hotels, Jay.

First they abused their employees. Them they abused thier customers. All
that was left was the stock/shareholders, and we're seeing that, from the
90's (Enron), to now (Apple, HP), even those folks are quite vulnerable to
the "Management Class".

--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC.

Old June 25th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

I've never taken any money from the gummint, for anything.

You deduct any of the costs of flying?

I can't.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old June 25th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

I've never taken any money from the gummint, for anything.
--

You've never taken a tax deduction for mortgage interest?

Old June 25th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Jose posted:

I've never taken any money from the gummint, for anything.

You deduct any of the costs of flying?

I can't.

Could that possibly be due to your not deriving any income from your
flying activities on which you pay taxes? Tax deductions are not
necessarily "...taking money *from* the..." gov't; just not paying more
than your due.

Neil

Old June 25th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Paul kgyy wrote:

I've never taken any money from the gummint, for anything.
--

You've never taken a tax deduction for mortgage interest?

That's keeping one's _own_ hard-earned income.
Old June 25th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Could that possibly be due to your not deriving any income from your
flying activities on which you pay taxes?

It could be. I have my own business too and am familiar with tax rules.
However, I also know that with the right setup (and Jay certainly has
the right setup) one can excercise considerable discretion as to how one
allocates "business purpose" and how much "ancillary pleasure" one can
derive at government expense through that allocation.

Perhaps I could become the "flying tutor" and get the government to pay
for some spectacular cross country trips. And even get money back for
my "tax loss".

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old June 25th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...

I've never taken any money from the gummint, for anything.
--

You've never taken a tax deduction for mortgage interest?

That was his money to begin with, silly boy.

Old June 25th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

You've never taken a tax deduction for mortgage interest?
That was his money to begin with, silly boy.

Same is true for tax deductions and abatements given to businesses in
order to relocate. That's one thing Jay complains about (in others)

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old June 25th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Jose posted:

Could that possibly be due to your not deriving any income from your
flying activities on which you pay taxes?

It could be. I have my own business too and am familiar with tax
rules. However, I also know that with the right setup (and Jay
certainly has the right setup) one can excercise considerable
discretion as to how one allocates "business purpose" and how much
"ancillary pleasure" one can derive at government expense through
that allocation.

I also am self-employed ("celebrating" my 30th year this summer), and am
familiar with the tax code. In my experience, while there are some savings
from deducting travel expenses, it's unlikely that I could justify flying
on that basis alone.

Perhaps I could become the "flying tutor" and get the government to
pay for some spectacular cross country trips. And even get money
back for my "tax loss".

Well, if your students are spread around, you may be able to recover some
of your costs. OTOH, it might be interesting if you are a tutor of
geography or, better, cartography! ;-)

Neil

Old June 25th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Jose posted:

You've never taken a tax deduction for mortgage interest?

That was his money to begin with, silly boy.

Same is true for tax deductions and abatements given to businesses in
order to relocate. That's one thing Jay complains about (in others)

I thought he was complaining about construction of new hotels at
taxpayer's expense?

Neil

Gloom Jay Honeck Piloting 194 July 7th 07 05:12 AM
Less Gloom Jay Honeck Piloting 28 June 23rd 07 01:17 AM