Too Old?

Old September 1st 08, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

Default Too Old?

In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Gezellig wrote in news:6i0carFo8ma9U1
@mid.individual.net:

Recently a 72 yo went blind in flight (stroke?) and safely landed in the
drink in FL. Several comments were that age should be considered in
keeping your PPL. I can see this makes sense /but/ it would prolly be
illegal.

There have been people in their 90s with commercial certificates. I know
someone who taught after he retired well into his 80s and continued to fly
into his 90s.
Then there's Bob Hoover and Duane Cole...

I know somebody who was Chief Pilot for Eastern and still flies at 92 --
then we had another old Eastern guy who died at 102 -- he was flying his
Bonanza until shortly before his death. Car rental companies wouldn't
rent to him because he was too old!

I know quite a few pilots flying well into their 70s -- some in
high-performance planes.

Old September 1st 08, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

I know quite a few pilots flying well into their 70s -- some in
high-performance planes.

Hell Orval, it took that long for some of us to get proficient :-)))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old September 1st 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Ben Jeffrey

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
Orval Fairbairn wrote:

I know quite a few pilots flying well into their 70s -- some in
high-performance planes.

Hell Orval, it took that long for some of us to get proficient :-)))

--
Dudley Henriques

I have a friend in our soaring club who flew Corsairs as a USMC pilot in WW2
and still flys regularly in our club - usually the first to launch and the
last to land. To top it off, most of the time he flys his Pitts to the club
from his home field.

Ben Jeffrey

Old September 1st 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

I know quite a few pilots flying well into their 70s -- some in
high-performance planes.

Hell Orval, it took that long for some of us to get proficient :-)))

--
Dudley Henriques

I have a friend in our soaring club who flew Corsairs as a USMC pilot in WW2
and still flys regularly in our club - usually the first to launch and the
last to land. To top it off, most of the time he flys his Pitts to the club
from his home field.

Ben Jeffrey

Some of the "older" pilots are in phenomenally good health. I deal with
a lot of them on a daily basis. They're amazing!

--
Dudley Henriques
Old September 1st 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Orval Fairbairn wrote in
news
In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Gezellig wrote in news:6i0carFo8ma9U1
@mid.individual.net:

Recently a 72 yo went blind in flight (stroke?) and safely landed
in the drink in FL. Several comments were that age should be
considered in keeping your PPL. I can see this makes sense /but/ it
would prolly be illegal.

There have been people in their 90s with commercial certificates. I
know someone who taught after he retired well into his 80s and
continued to fly into his 90s.
Then there's Bob Hoover and Duane Cole...

I know somebody who was Chief Pilot for Eastern and still flies at 92
-- then we had another old Eastern guy who died at 102 -- he was
flying his Bonanza until shortly before his death. Car rental
companies wouldn't rent to him because he was too old!

I know quite a few pilots flying well into their 70s -- some in
high-performance planes.

Yeah, and why not. I think Pappy chalk operated commercially into his
80's, for instance.

OTOH, I know a pilot who died suddenly just the other day at 47...

A commercial one too...

Bertie
Old September 1st 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

Anthony, have you ever taken a flying physical? What are the requirements?
How do they differ?

At best, they are a minimal screening, far from an extensive examination. Of
course, since you are not a physician or pilot, you wouldn't understand
these issues.

Old September 2nd 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 04:23:01 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

There have been people in their 90s with commercial certificates. I
know someone who taught after he retired well into his 80s and
continued to fly into his 90s.
Then there's Bob Hoover and Duane Cole...

I know somebody who was Chief Pilot for Eastern and still flies at 92
-- then we had another old Eastern guy who died at 102 -- he was
flying his Bonanza until shortly before his death. Car rental
companies wouldn't rent to him because he was too old!

I know quite a few pilots flying well into their 70s -- some in
high-performance planes.

Yeah, and why not. I think Pappy chalk operated commercially into his
80's, for instanc

Don't shoot this messenger, I am not *for* age cutoffs but I am
approaching my 60s and have only been a pilot for a short time. I'd like
to think that there never will be age cutoffs but I want to explore the
realities of it before I commit to a plane purchase, for instance.

Another poster mentioned auto cos that won't rent to the elderly. If it
becomes an issue, I can see rentals to elderly pilots being cut off.
That leaves plane ownership and that means only the wealthy, well-heeled
in retirement types, that's a small # of elderly pilots.
Old September 2nd 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On Aug 31, 8:11*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Then there's Bob Hoover and Duane Cole...

Bertie

Is Hoover still alive? Flying? Did the FAA ever give him his medical
back after whatever reason they took it years ago?
I had the honor of seeing his Commander routine several times as a kid/
teen. Awesome stuff. Watching vids of it these days almost brings
tears to my eyes.

Ricky
Old September 2nd 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Ricky" wrote in message
Is Hoover still alive? Flying? Did the FAA ever give him his medical
back after whatever reason they took it years ago?
I had the honor of seeing his Commander routine several times as a kid/
teen. Awesome stuff. Watching vids of it these days almost brings
tears to my eyes.

Yes. Not sure, but he is retired from air shows. Yes - he got a medical in
Austrailia and continued with air shows for a while (just not in the US).
The FAA finally conceeded to restoring his medical after a round through
the courts.

"If they can do it to Bob Hoover, they can do it to anyone."

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old September 3rd 08, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk @See My Sig.com writes:

Yes. Not sure, but he is retired from air shows. Yes - he got a medical in
Austrailia and continued with air shows for a while (just not in the US).
The FAA finally conceeded to restoring his medical after a round through
the courts.

"If they can do it to Bob Hoover, they can do it to anyone."

On what basis did they deny his medical in the U.S.?